Does the title of a song affect the song?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2013 21:28
  • Post subject:
I see albums added to the site with six tracks, all called "untitled". I have no interest in those tracks, because whoever wrote them doesn't seem to care enough to give his creations names. Take a minute and give them a title...it's your chance to call it anything you want to. Calling all of your songs "untitled" doesn't make you look cool...it makes you look lazy and unimaginative.

This is why people don't write books or make films and call them "untitled". Marketing is important, and the title is the best thing you've got when the music isn't playing.
  • Visit poster's website
moojakptorei
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 21:45
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
I see albums added to the site with six tracks, all called "untitled". I have no interest in those tracks, because whoever wrote them doesn't seem to care enough to give his creations names. Take a minute and give them a title...it's your chance to call it anything you want to. Calling all of your songs "untitled" doesn't make you look cool...it makes you look lazy and unimaginative.

This is why people don't write books or make films and call them "untitled". Marketing is important, and the title is the best thing you've got when the music isn't playing.

I agree. Albums with one or two tracks called untitled are ok though. For example, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea has an untitled track but it's an instrumental which links Ghost to Two Headed Boy Pt. 2 and it was later renamed 'The Penny Arcade in California'. Another example is What's The Story Morning Glory which has two untitled track. However both these tracks are around 40 seconds and have alternative names, The Swamp Song - Excerpt 1 and 2.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/17/2013 21:51
  • Post subject:
Mercurydylan89 wrote:
The roar of the masses could be farts.

Love

On topic, changing my opinion here, it seems song titles are more important than I first thought, you guys are making a good case for it.

• Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 21:51
  • Post subject:
mooseboy101 wrote:
Most good songs recorded in the past 20 so years are Untitled so ya no

lol Mooseboy you're such a pretentious bellend.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
thursdayeno
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 22:11
  • Post subject:
i would have never guessed the title of anything would really matter until i started submitting team fortress 2 videos to reddit.

i easily make the best videos, which nobody else in the world can do in their daydreams but i don't take any time to name them therefore nobody likes them.

Anybody can make 'good' music. I make terrible music, which is what makes it so different, and therefore better. ~ Thom Yorke
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 22:13
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

I agree with your closing point,although music shouldn't be made to be marketed,but in that respect a song title is extremely important if it is being marketed to the general public.

However the first part I disagree with you on pretty much everything.It's quite possible and I'd believe it to be the case in most situations that an album of all untitled tracks would be the artists way of trying to place no additional emphasis on certain tracks or their way of trying not to influence the way the fan interprets and enjoys the song or album,I would say they care more about their art if that was the case and not the other way around.The lazy and unimaginative part bewilders me also,surely someone putting out an album would have put so much love and care into it,that the act of adding titles to the tracks would be the least imaginative and time consuming process of creating the entire album.
  • Visit poster's website
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 23:08
  • Post subject:
I actually made this thread a while back, and almost everyone said no. Still seems to be the prevailing opinion, though not entirely.

I think sometimes it can have a slight effect. My example was Mayonnaise by Smashing Pumpkins. It's a great song, but the title is ugly as hell and somehow makes the song just a little less perfect. Also the fact that is has nothing to do with the lyrics at all annoys me. The vast majority of the time, the title doesn't really affect my feelings on the song, but there are definitely times it does at least a bit.
  • Visit poster's website
jstreets

United States
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 23:13
  • Post subject:
I don't think it should affect the song in a negative way. A good song is a good song. It could enhance your understanding of it though.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnny
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 23:16
  • Post subject:
I wont give any examples but i think in the extreme case it affects
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 23:20
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

I'd like to defend the concept of "Untitled" songs. Outside the scope of lyrical popular music, there's a world of instrumental music. ambient, classical, jazz, whatever. The composers intend for the music to operate on its own without a title forcing imagery. it's actually the total opposite of pretentious. A name have give this kind of music false meaning.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website