I feel terrible

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 05/03/2013 21:06
  • Post subject:
What drakonium says is true. There's feeling shitty about yourself, being sad, but then there's a state of mind which originates from that but takes things way further - sometimes even to suicidal thoughts. I can't say I "know" how that feels, as I've never been suicidal, however I have had periods when I was in a similar state of mind - I couldn't cry, I couldn't even watch movies or listen to music, basically I just couldn't hold attention for more than 10 minutes straight. There are obviously concrete reasons for that, but you have to realize there is no "quick fix" for it. If there was one possible, it wouldn't come this far. But the important thing is to preoccupy your mind with something that will at least pull you out of this state.

Obviously, there isn't one thing that can do that and probably differs from person to person. Music can be the answer. Or movies or exercise - yes it's trivial stuff, but it could help to take the load off your mind. Then again, for some, e.g. me - I can't really imagine how listening to happy music wouldn't make things even worse (actually, depressing music, the kind that just rubs shit in probably worked better). And as I said, personally I couldn't even hold enough attention to watch a movie. I don't know about you though.

But in my case it was a combination of several things. I may have done a mistake of not talking to people - but what I did/do is I keep a sort of a journal (in a Word file) where I write random shit that comes to my mind and just let my feelings out. If I read it back it sometimes feels completely incoherent, often just kinda silly, but it's a way of getting what you have in your mind out. It is probably better if you can find someone who you think will listen to you and understand you though.
Another thing that I guess helped me was forming some sort of a fantasy future for myself - I set myself a "goal" (of which I won't talk about), implausible as it may be, but which required me to do plans and particular activities. Of course, i knew both then and now that it's a goal that is most likely impossible to reach, but at that state of mind - what better option is there? It felt much better when I just started to do something, even if the reason for which I was doing it was silly. At worst it unburdens your mind, and who knows, it could help you find a new perspective on the issues that you have.

Again - this doesn't mean that whatever problems I had to begin with are now solved, but I at least put myself back in the frame of mind where what I do every day isn't constrained by them. You probably have specific issues and it's hard to give advice (it would most likely be just as hard even if we knew what you're dealing with). Everything I wrote probably doesn't sound like much, as I looked at it from my perspective, which is most likely different from yours.
But anyway, keep in mind - you're not alone
  • Visit poster's website
L Lawliet

• Posted: 05/03/2013 22:40
  • Post subject:
I start to feel awful very quickly if I don't have some kind of distraction to keep my mind occupied, anything will do really, like what has been suggested here, particularly exercise. If you are able to then I would suggest that you attempt to address the issues that are causing these feelings, of course that isn't always possible. And lastly you can always talk to people about what you are feeling, death really is final so it's worth exhausting all available options before trying anything.

Justice is not a frivolous thing, Simpson. It has little if anything to do with a disobedient whale.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/04/2013 03:53
  • Post subject:
Hard for me to empathise cos I'm in a pretty happy place in life right now, but I've been down for long periods of time before and still get there occasionally these days so I sort of know what you're talking about. You haven't said what's the issues you're having right now though so it's hard to give advice apart from short term fixes to feeling unhappy, whereas what you need is a solution to the things that are bothering you.

Like ptaylor said, I'd be more than happy to chat through PM or skype if you wanted, I think you're a sound guy and I really like you, genuinely upsets me that you feel like you do.

All the best Smile
JohnCenaFan69

• Posted: 05/04/2013 04:19
  • Post subject:
Do something you enjoy, talk it out with someone, pretty much what has been said in this thread. I have been feeling like you in the past year or so at points and talking it out with others and doing something fun to take your mind off works well. Although listening to music has not been helpful for me whenever I felt depressed because I knew what the lyrics were saying was bullshit.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 05/04/2013 04:45
  • Post subject:
I'm no good at offering support or help for these kinds of things, so I've been abstaining from saying anything, but I really feel obliged to at least say that, in my time here, you've struck me as a very intelligent and personable user, and one of the users most integral to the positive functioning of the site (as well as one of my favorites). We love having you here tekin, and I think sometimes we forget that there are real people with real emotions behind the avatars that we see. Really hope you get through this man. You have my support
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 05/04/2013 05:01
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
I'm no good at offering support or help for these kinds of things, so I've been abstaining from saying anything, but I really feel obliged to at least say that, in my time here, you've struck me as a very intelligent and personable user, and one of the users most integral to the positive functioning of the site (as well as one of my favorites). We love having you here tekin, and I think sometimes we forget that there are real people with real emotions behind the avatars that we see. Really hope you get through this man. You have my support

This is the way I feel exactly. Hope everything turns out alright for you, man.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/04/2013 07:14
  • Post subject:
How are you today, tekin?
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 05/04/2013 10:29
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:

This, completely.
ptaylor1989

United States

• Posted: 05/04/2013 11:10
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:

I completely agree. You are my favorite remaining user, actually. Listen, the only tattoo I have is a little bitch tattoo I got under the weight of a massive depression. "This too shall pass" is stapled in ink, right on my ribs, hidden by my left arm. I barely remember I have it sometimes but every once in a while, I'll notice a flash of it in the mirror and remember that neither pain nor pleasure lasts forever. Literally and figuratively, everything is ebb and flow and this too shall pass. I hope today feels better.

• Posted: 05/04/2013 14:31
  • Post subject:
Thanks guys. I went and see my grandparents this morning and now I feel much better. Still I've not talked to anyone and the lump and the feeling pretty much is there to attack. I know people want to know what I'm talking about but I'm not ready. I've read all of these messages and although it is kinda sad reading it but I thank you all for being supportive. I really cannot do much for my feelings because I don't want to have them but they're so deep I can't repel them. It was very bad yesterday, worst day of my life. I hope noone has those days.