Self Improvement For Your Listening Experience

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/17/2013 23:16
  • Post subject:
It's funny, my story of "dadrockism" didn't even start with rock n roll. It started with Christmas music. At one point, I thought all music sucks except for Christmas music!
Kiki

• Posted: 05/17/2013 23:17
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
It's funny, my story of "dadrockism" didn't even start with rock n roll. It started with Christmas music. At one point, I thought all music sucks except for Christmas music!

There is something somewhat fantastic about you... Shocked
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/17/2013 23:20
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
There is something somewhat fantastic about you... Shocked

At the time I would never turn on the radio, and when my mom did, I would turn it off. Now my mom hates how loud I play my music in the car. Funny how drastically things can change.
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2013 23:23
  • Post subject:
To see how I've developed musically, check out this "Albums throughout my life" chart:

http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=10196

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 05/17/2013 23:27
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
At the time I would never turn on the radio, and when my mom did, I would turn it off. Now my mom hates how loud I play my music in the car. Funny how drastically things can change.

You're the same age I was when I first started listening to music. I listened to Gorillaz (my favorite band) and whatever was on Kerrang! radio back then. As I type this, I look back and miss those old days. I feel at times I may have listened to too much music. It was fun when I had hardly listened to anything.

Yesterday I listened to 7 new albums and, despite listening to only one new album today, I think I am going into musical overload.

Damn... threads got me down now that it has had me thinking more. Confused
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2013 23:32
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
You're the same age I was when I first started listening to music. I listened to Gorillaz (my favorite band) and whatever was on Kerrang! radio back then. As I type this, I look back and miss those old days. I feel at times I may have listened to too much music. It was fun when I had hardly listened to anything.

Yesterday I listened to 7 new albums and, despite listening to only one new album today, I think I am going into musical overload.

Damn... threads got me down now that it has had me thinking more. Confused

music overload is a real and frightening thing. pace yourself buddy. savor it. It's like going to a food buffet and getting a little of everything.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 05/17/2013 23:37
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
music overload is a real and frightening thing. pace yourself buddy. savor it. It's like going to a food buffet and getting a little of everything.

What do you mean by it is "real"? Is there something which exists close to what I have described? Is it a bad thing?
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2013 23:42
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
What do you mean by it is "real"? Is there something which exists close to what I have described? Is it a bad thing?

haha. i was just joking mostly. When I was working regularly as a music photographer I was going to something like 6 shows a week, and it's definitely exhausting. And I do think there's a point when listening to too much new music can actually become counter productive. Your brain needs time to process the sounds you're ingesting.
  • Visit poster's website
soundguardian

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2013 12:05
  • Post subject: Re: Self Improvement For Your Listening Experience
meccalecca wrote:
My sentiments exactly.

Music appreciation is like all positive growth. It starts at shedding your prejudices. All of you high school kids, soon you'll be free of the cliques and prejudices that make high school such a drag for so many. And I feel like music is similar. over time, you free yourself and open up to exploration. What I like about BEA is that 99% of the people here are broadening their music experience and opening up themselves to things they may have not gotten to on their own.

I think you'll eventually figure out what you truly like about music, and that may change multiple times.

Respect your wise elders. Don't dismiss something on one listen. The audience hated the first performances of Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring because they'd never heard anything like it before. That which is truly new to your palate hardly ever tastes great. But those things can be truly rewarding.

Haha yeah I remember such a story about The Rite of Spring from a Survey of Western Music History class that I took for funzies at one point. Diaghilev the impressario put the show on and there was a riot because of all its experimentation in the avant-garde, dissonances, etc. lol and now dissonance is widely accepted in modern / post-modern composition all the time. Stravinsky was ahead of his time like... say, the Velvet Underground, Yardbirds, King Crimson were ahead of their time.

I like that you're informed about music history Applause
  • Visit poster's website
soundguardian

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2013 12:10
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:

what about the radio during the holiday season? all they play during the holiday season is christmas music. Laughing

also, what do you think about christmas music now? I've grown sick of it after 22 years of it, to be honest.
  • Visit poster's website