Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
drakonium
coucou

France
  • Posted: 05/28/2013 05:50
  • Post subject:
Cymro2011 wrote:
The people with the worst voices are usually the best vocalists.

I'd like to understand what you mean here, because it just sounds like a mindfuck.
  • Visit poster's website
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 05/28/2013 08:46
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
I'd like to understand what you mean here, because it just sounds like a mindfuck.

It's about conveying emotion. Being pitch perfect don't count for squat if the vocalist is a vacuous twat.

Now, can we get back on topic? I would have another slow experiment to suggest but my speaker system just bought it.
  • Visit poster's website
Balance
  • Posted: 05/28/2013 14:22
  • Post subject:
I just tried to do this with Show Em Watcha Got by Public Enemy, and it's the worst thing I've ever heard. The saxophone sample sounds like a dying elephant, and Chuck D and Flavor Flav sounds like they are being tortured in slow motion. It's actually quite frightening
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 05/28/2013 14:28
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:

Lou Reed, Bob Dylan, Jello Biafra,<insert any punk rock vocalist here> etc.

The good vocalists are never the ones that can hit all the high notes and sound perfect. The good ones just incorporate a singing voice that's unique to them and try and make it work.
  • Visit poster's website
thekingofash
  • Posted: 05/28/2013 15:06
  • Post subject:
Cymro2011 wrote:
The good vocalists are never the ones that can hit all the high notes and sound perfect. The good ones just incorporate a singing voice that's unique to them and try and make it work.

I dunno, could you really say that singing well and singing with emotion are mutually exclusive? I mean, two of my favourite vocalists are Peter Gabriel and Peter Hammill and I think both of THOSE guys have a lot of control over their voices and yet they convey emotion hugely to me. I love Jeff Mangum too, of course: he really does manage to make the fact that he's clearly not a great singer work for him through his sheer passion. I just don't think you can really say "Good singer = bad singer", honestly.

Oh, and these experiments are, uh, interesting. Yeah, that just about covers it.
drakonium
coucou

France
  • Posted: 05/28/2013 15:06
  • Post subject:
Cymro2011 wrote:
Lou Reed, Bob Dylan, Jello Biafra,<insert any punk rock vocalist here> etc.

OK, if you say it that way I agree to an extent. The voice of a singer is more important than his/her technical ability. However, the later does play a major role in the artist's sound. Radiohead would not have been what they are if Yorke hadn't been able to reach super-high notes, and Cocteau Twins would not have sounded the same if not for the vocal acrobatics of Frazer.

What made no sense in your previous post was the use of the word "worst". You meant "unique". If you take a random person in the street (who probably has a "bad" voice), (s)he won't be more interesting than a professional singer, whatever the later sounds like.

Also, I don't think Jello Biafra has a "bad" voice. It's unique, not bad. And I do believe that Joe Strummer and Feargal Sharkey (from The Undertones) have technically fantastic voices while singing punk.
  • Visit poster's website
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 05/28/2013 15:28
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
What made no sense in your previous post was the use of the word "worst". You meant "unique". If you take a random person in the street (who probably has a "bad" voice), (s)he won't be more interesting than a professional singer, whatever the later sounds like.

Also, I don't think Jello Biafra has a "bad" voice. It's unique, not bad. And I do believe that Joe Strummer and Feargal Sharkey (from The Undertones) have technically fantastic voices while singing punk.

Actually yeah, "worst" was a bad word to choose. What I kind of meant was that some vocalists change the way they sing to compensate for their vocal limits. For what you said about Strummer and Sharkey the thing about punk rock is that the vocals are expected to be as all over the place and ragged as the music itself and the quality of the vocals just really doesn't matter for them so for punk they're pretty perfect.

....but yeah, again, your right about Biafra. I should have chosen someone different to list. I fucking love his warbley singing style.

Also i'd just like to apologize if I sound like an idiot right now. I suck at putting my thoughts into words.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France
  • Posted: 05/28/2013 15:40
  • Post subject:
Cymro2011 wrote:
Actually yeah, "worst" was a bad word to choose. What I kind of meant was that some vocalists change the way they sing to compensate for their vocal limits. For what you said about Strummer and Sharkey the thing about punk rock is that the vocals are expected to be as all over the place and ragged as the music itself and the quality of the vocals just really doesn't matter for them so for punk they're pretty perfect.

....but yeah, again, your right about Biafra. I should have chosen someone different to list. I fucking love his warbley singing style.

Also i'd just like to apologize if I sound like an idiot right now. I suck at putting my thoughts into words.

Haha, no problem, the idiot may be me for picking you on wrong words Wink
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 05/28/2013 20:55
  • Post subject:
I think I need to have a talk with the Internet about what "400% slower" means.