2010 Albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
purple

• Posted: 01/20/2010 03:43
  • Post subject:
just finished listening to Spoon-Transference and it will be in the top 10 of 2010 of any respectable publication
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 01/20/2010 08:35
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
just finished listening to Spoon-Transference and it will be in the top 10 of 2010 of any respectable publication

I have now listened to Transference 3 times. I like the album and will listen to it a lot this year. I don't think that it is as good as the other 3 Spoon albums which I have though.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/20/2010 16:16
  • Post subject:
[quote="Freddie55"][quote="purple"]just finished listening to Spoon-Transference and it will be in the top 10 of 2010 of any respectable publication[/quote]

I have now listened to Transference 3 times. I like the album and will listen to it a lot this year. I don't think that it is as good as the other 3 Spoon albums which I have though.[/quote]

I think its on par with most everything they've done, nothing too special for them, just small progressions, but Spoon makes better music than most and thats where my comment came from
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 01/20/2010 16:38
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
I think its on par with most everything they've done, nothing too special for them, just small progressions, but Spoon makes better music than most and thats where my comment came from

I agree with you. I would give it the same 80 rating that I gave Kill the Moonlight and Gimme Fiction. I think that Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga is a bit better.

Follow-up: I've listened to the album half a dozen times now and it is a grower. I think that it's better than Kill the Moonlight and Gimme Fiction.

Last edited by Freddie55 on 01/22/2010 23:46; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 01/20/2010 23:38
  • Post subject:
Feb 8 sees both Massive Attack's and Hot Chip's new albums released officially. From what I have heard of both, they are well crafted albums.

Also just discovered a new concept album by David Byrne and Fatboy Slim to be released this year. It's based on the life of Imelda Marcos. We'll see how that goes!
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 01/21/2010 00:02
  • Post subject:
I'm just glad for the pumpkins new album.
  • Visit poster's website
ctsimcox

• Posted: 01/21/2010 16:43
  • Post subject:
Astro Coast by Surfer Blood is fantastic, I'm thinking it will definitely have a position in my top 10 for this year
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 01/21/2010 21:18
  • Post subject:
ctsimcox wrote:
Astro Coast by Surfer Blood is fantastic, I'm thinking it will definitely have a position in my top 10 for this year

I agree. I have decided to fill 3 slots in my 50 Greatest Albums Chart in January with my favourite albums released in the 2010s regardless of whether they are my favourite albums of all time. Surfer Blood - Astro Coast is my third inclusion.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 01/22/2010 23:29
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:

after listening to Transference, i really don't think that it's that great, even if i think that the album may make my top 15. i think that your enthusiasm come more from the fact that they are from Texas Wink .
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/23/2010 04:05
  • Post subject:
[quote="cartoken"][quote="purple"]just finished listening to Spoon-Transference and it will be in the top 10 of 2010 of any respectable publication[/quote]

after listening to Transference, i really don't think that it's that great, even if i think that the album may make my top 15. i think that your enthusiasm come more from the fact that they are from Texas :wink: .[/quote]

I have little enthusiasm when it comes to Texas; I do live here but it isn't that great, and I resent all the stereotypes that come with it. I'm not really attached to Texas, San Antonio, or Austin and I actually haven't even seen Spoon despite my praise for their albums. The only bias that I have for them is that I like the type of music they make more than most.

My comment for them came from a pretty objective stand point. Not to create a different thread or anything, but Spoon really is in the running for the best band of the 00s, along with Animal Collective and Radiohead and a couple others, and Transference shows just as much growth as Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga did from Kill the Moonlight/Gimme Fiction. You can't praise any Spoon album and not have an equal amount of respect for Transference (does not mean you have to think it is the best) because it is a continuation of their growth, and I don't think anyone can really deny Spoon is a better, more consistent band than most around right now.