Concert Etiquette

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 08/02/2013 21:22
  • Post subject:
motherlicker wrote:
Festivals usually destroy the park where they're held.

This. There's this one fest in Austin called Fun Fun Fun Fest and the park where its held annually has degraded into dust. Everyone wears bandanas around their mouths and it looks like a fuckin zapatista rally.

And concerning etiquette, I really don't mind anything as long as people follow normal pit etiquette if there is one and there's none of those people that just kicks behind them as hard as they can. I'm really not one to speak for etiquette though; I've drunkenly massaged some guys ears at a Deadmau5 concert and tried to start a pit at an LCD Soundsystem concert.

Last edited by Kool Keith Sweat on 08/02/2013 21:25; edited 1 time in total
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 08/02/2013 21:25
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I remember back before phones had video/cameras, people would call their friends when a certain song came on and put their phone in the air. that had to sound like shit. it was definitely irritating.

I hate that. I remember seeing The Killers back in the day Anxious Anyway, these 2 girls shoved through towards the front mid-concert (Where me and a mate were), they both preceded to ring people during every song and hold their phones in the air, even more annoyingly, they didn't appear to know the song titles, which irritates me a lot. .. Brick wall

As for alcohol, I like to have a few drinks when it comes to concerts, but not an overly large amount where I can't remember what I'm doing (Think the only time it ever happened was seeing either Feeder or Ash or someone like that), most gigs I head to are in Cyprus Avenue in Cork, which is as much a pub as it is a concert venue, awesome tiny venue if you're ever around these parts. Basically, a large amount of gigs I go to are in pub like venues so I find it natural to settle down with a pint and some music.

I also get annoyed when people record videos to put on the internet, I once saw a guy in front of me spend an entire gig recording videos or on Facebook, wished he dropped his iPhone into the crowd.

• Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2013 22:02
  • Post subject:
I went to see Muse and in the hours waiting for there set, a whole section of people up front sat down, lied down, ate peanut butter sandwiches, etc. as the rest of us barely had room to stand. Everyone was pissed off until finally I decided I was just going to walk over them. Well, they pitched a massive bitch fit and I nearly got kicked out. But I didn't, and I enjoyed being just 15 feet away from Matt Cool

Also I really don't understand people who get high at concerts.
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 08/02/2013 22:16
  • Post subject:
Couple general rules I think should be standard that are frequently broken:

If you dont enjoy getting pushed or touched - get the fuck in the back. Getting riled up because someone pushed you is like the most asinine thing people do at a concert. It doesn't matter if you think people should not be bouncing around to the music being played (I have herd this argument at a folk concert) people enjoy the music the way they want to.

Taking pictures or short videos on your phone is fine, just do it in moderation (I like to take one or two pictures of each act)

If you know the band playing on a personal level dont fucking hijack the show with your shitty inside jokes and banter. You can tell them after their set is done.

If there is a mosh pit, please throw water into it.

If there is a mosh pit don't stand on the edge of it pushing people back in like a big turd.

If you are at a blues rock/country/folk show and I come up and start two stepping with you you should probably kiss me

Im loads of fun at concerts

Jasonconfused wrote:

Also, fuck indie shows with hipsters standing around with their arms crossed "analyzing and critiquing" the music or w/e the fuck they do. Stay home.

lmao why would you get so angry at this

ppnw wrote:

And concerning etiquette, I really don't mind anything as long as people follow normal pit etiquette if there is one and there's none of those people that just kicks behind them as hard as they can. I'm really not one to speak for etiquette though; I've drunkenly massaged some guys ears at a Deadmau5 concert and tried to start a pit at an LCD Soundsystem concert.

Man we would KILL IT if we went to concerts together

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.

Last edited by bongritsu on 08/02/2013 22:27; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2013 22:24
  • Post subject:
Talk to the people you came with before and after the show.

During the concert, watch the band and pay attention. The show is about them, not about you.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 08/02/2013 22:24
  • Post subject:
I used to hate people doing certain things at concerts(photos, excessive look at me i know all the lyrics types,etc.), but I don't really mind anymore. The only thing I hate atm is couples making out(I had to change this like 3 times so y'all would know what I meant, I guess that works?) next to me. Leave it yeah? I'd understand if you were 14 and wanted to grope your girlfriend as much as you could as her mum was waiting outside to bring ye home, but when you're in your twenties and devouring some poor girls face and making sure to feel every inch of her body for fear of losing your life at a fucking Danny Brown gig, you need to kill yourself, y'all have pubes and everything now.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 08/03/2013 00:23
  • Post subject:
If you have a joint, share it with anyone open enough to ask you for some. Sharing is caring. Except drinks, people have herpes and that shit spreads like wildfire.
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 08/03/2013 01:15
  • Post subject:
I'm almost always tripping at concerts these days and usually with a couple of friends. We just keep to ourselves mostly and have a good time.

Occasionally though some drunk indie kids comes over to "say h" after blatantly staring us down for 20 odd minutes. Don't be those guys. I hate those guys.

Not to say I dislike meeting new people at concerts.

Last edited by Polythene Pam on 08/03/2013 13:11; edited 1 time in total
lightmyway
Swimming into view

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2013 01:56
  • Post subject:
Just try not to spill anything on me, that's the only rule I can think of. But really that's just a general life rule. It is a drag when you go see some really danceable show and nobody's dancing.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2013 16:12
  • Post subject:
I'll be honest, I'm boring at concerts. I don't particularly care who I'm seeing, I love just sitting and watching the concert. I've never been into standing for the entire concert (which, when I saw Machine Head/Megadeth/Black Sabbath, was like three and a half hours), jumping around, dancing, any of that. I'll sing along, but that's about it. I just enjoy watching the show. Whenever I go to Virgin Mobile FreeFest, that tends to be a problem unless I'm able to steal seats, being that it's a free festival, the place is usually packed. That being said, it doesn't annoy me when people do dance or stand or whatever, I know it's all part of the concert-enjoying experience for them.

One thing that does annoy me, however, is when people just leave early for no good reason. I mean, I get that some people may have a good reason, but a lot don't, and that bugs me. Like, when I saw My Morning Jacket/Wilco/Bob Dylan last week, people were leaving once Bob Dylan came on. I was just like, you've already paid for the tickets, why are you leaving? Just enjoy the show.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website