No.
59%
 59%  [13]
Total Votes : 22

JMan
  • Posted: 09/23/2013 15:26
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Now I'm more than willing to put this one instance behind us, but you have a knack for doing things like this over and over. Maybe we should try a different approach. Before we accept your apology, let me ask you: Do you at least understand why a statement like the one I've quoted above sounds ignorant as hell and would piss a lot of people off? Because until you understand that I'm not sure we're going to make much progress.

No, I don't understand why it would piss them off. But I was a little emotional yesterday, and I'm calm right now. All I meant was after so much radio listen for the first 17 years of my life, I never heard a Radiohead song, or any mention of Radiohead. So it doesn't seem like a form of ignorance to me, but I should just think "whatever" instead of getting mad.
AlexZangari

United States
  • Posted: 09/23/2013 15:34
  • Post subject:
JMan, do you know what ignorant means?
JMan
  • Posted: 09/23/2013 15:38
  • Post subject:
People use it as a synonym for "untaught." But the way I've always viewed it, "ignorant" had something to do with ignoring things I should be taught and thus making me a dumbass. Plus, I've only ever heard "ignorant" used as an insult not that I hear it all the time.
AlexZangari

United States
  • Posted: 09/23/2013 15:42
  • Post subject:
Ignorant just means you lack knowledge of something (e.g., if you don't know anything about Radiohead, then you're ignorant to Radiohead).
JMan
  • Posted: 09/23/2013 15:49
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
Ignorant just means you lack knowledge of something (e.g., if you don't know anything about Radiohead, then you're ignorant to Radiohead).

But, ignorant has "ignore" in it, as in to ignore something, as in I would've been taught it once but due to "ignorance" I forgot. So I could only assume that the word is a minor insult. I should get it in my head that it is not meant as an insult, but I would like people to refrain from using "ignorant" to avoid further arguments.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada
  • Posted: 09/23/2013 15:57
  • Post subject:
The thing about the radio is that it focuses on specific demographics and not necessarily what the majority of people consider great (especially aggregately since different people like different genres). So if youre listening to a classic rock station, you will undoubtedly hear no mention of Radiohead or Wu Tang or Aphex Twin. Additionally radio doesnt come close to the discoverability of the internet, since the bulk of it is playing songs that the majority of listeners want to hear in a very narrow scope. It's highly likely that the reason you hadnt heard Radiohead songs was because you weren't listening to the right stations that Radiohead would be played on. No fault of you really, radio stations can only introduce you to so much. It's is a fine medium to consume music, but it shouldnt be used as the only source for a blanket statement of music overall.

Anyway like I told you Jman, Im not really sure why you're apologizing in the first place. You said something a lot of people disagree with. You dont have to apologize every time that happens, but maybe just reflect on why your opinions differ, based on other people's responses, instead.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan
  • Posted: 09/23/2013 15:59
  • Post subject:
I'm apologizing for ignoring the help people try to give me.
AlexZangari

United States
  • Posted: 09/23/2013 16:02
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
But, ignorant has "ignore" in it, as in to ignore something, as in I would've been taught it once but due to "ignorance" I forgot. So I could only assume that the word is a minor insult. I should get it in my head that it is not meant as an insult, but I would like people to refrain from using "ignorant" to avoid further arguments.

Passionate has ass in it, is that an insult too now? Everyone doesn't have to stop using a word just because you fail to understand it.
JMan
  • Posted: 09/23/2013 16:05
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
Passionate has ass in it, is that an insult too now? Everyone doesn't have to stop using a word just because you fail to understand it.

OK, now THAT was rude. I';m not going to judge words that way, and it's kind of obvious ignorant comes from "ignore." Don't go Jack on me.
Kool Keith Sweat
  • Posted: 09/23/2013 16:08
  • Post subject:
What are greek and latin roots anyway?