Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 01/12/2014 17:12
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
"if you're paying for Spotify Premium and using it as your main source for music, you may as well just illegally download everything instead"

I definitely disagree with this though. For a low price, Spotify Premium listeners can get good quality versions of the music legally, while at least contributing a small amount of money to the artists. It's not great, but it's something. Spotify has its problems though as well, since it's in the pockets of Universal and a couple other majors.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 01/12/2014 21:03
  • Post subject:
According to Spotify, the atrist who had the number on album in July 2013 earned $425,000. Based on the increase in subscribers, Spotify estimates that number will be over $2,000,000 in July 2014.

Hopefully, people will stop downloading music illegally, and artists will start making money again.
  • Posted: 01/12/2014 21:10
  • Post subject:
http://www.spotifyartists.com/spotify-e...tail[/url]
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States
  • Posted: 01/12/2014 21:15
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Mr Frogger tossed it out there so nonchalantly, almost like those not downloading illegally are fools. So I had to respond. .

Sorry if someone took it offensively, I was merely stating it as a promising alternative. What I was trying to convey, is that many people opposed to torrenting have pre-conceived notions about it(ie, the 2 posts above mine), and refuse to do so based on misinformation.( If you're not an idiot, the governments not gonna bust down your door)

Torrenting music has helped me immensely, I've heard many albums that I would otherwise not give the light of day, and the fact that I get these albums in fantastic quality, from whatever version or edition I want, with artwork, in whatever music player I want, just seals the deal for me. Spotify doesn't give me that. I, like lethal, have given a lot of money to artists I discovered through torrenting, either through physical media or tickets to their shows.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 01/12/2014 21:16
  • Post subject:
Ceccon wrote:
According to Spotify, the atrist who had the number on album in July 2013 earned $425,000. Based on the increase in subscribers, Spotify estimates that number will be over $2,000,000 in July 2014.

Hopefully, people will stop downloading music illegally, and artists will start making money again.

I wish I trusted them but they made a lot of backroom deals with major labels that gives much more of the pot to them. They had to pay extravagant amounts of money for certain back catalogs and unfortunately the independent artist will suffer because of it. i still think spotify is a decent solution to the problem though
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 01/12/2014 21:19
  • Post subject:
Frogger:

Why do you think you can't discover music legally, using Spotify?
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States
  • Posted: 01/12/2014 21:23
  • Post subject:
Ceccon wrote:
Frogger:

Why do you think you can't discover music legally, using Spotify?

You can, I never said you couldn't, that's not the reason I don't use spotify. Although I will say that the communities surrounding some torrenting sites has helped me discover a lot of music, someone can recommend you an album, you click on their post, and in 60 seconds you're listening to said album(In the music player of your choice, edition of your choice, yada yada, see above post)
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 01/12/2014 21:25
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I wish I trusted them but they made a lot of backroom deals with major labels that gives much more of the pot to them. They had to pay extravagant amounts of money for certain back catalogs and unfortunately the independent artist will suffer because of it. i still think spotify is a decent solution to the problem though

I realize that some artists make more than others, particularly independent artists. That may be because people who favour those artists are more likely to spelled music illegally. Someone my age doesn't know g how to torrent music. In fact, I never heard that word until I Read it in this thread!
  • Posted: 01/12/2014 21:29
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
You can, I never said you couldn't, that's not the reason I don't use spotify. Although I will say that the communities surrounding some torrenting sites has helped me discover a lot of music, someone can recommend you an album, you click on their post, and in 60 seconds you're listening to said album(In the music player of your choice, edition of your choice, yada yada, see above post)

That's kind of what I do with Spotify. People on these forums recommend music, and I listen to it on Spotify. I do it legally, and the artists make money. The fact that it may be convenient to download music illegally is not, in my mind, a valid reason to deprive musicians of money that they are entitled to.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States
  • Posted: 01/12/2014 21:33
  • Post subject:
Ceccon wrote:
I do it legally, and the artists make money. .

See, in most cases, that's not true. The deals that spotify has made with record companies drains most of the money away from the artist in question, and some artists have gone as far to pull their music off spotify (You can read about one case here).
  • Visit poster's website