View previous topic :: View next topic
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 03/10/2014 21:10
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
Yeah, David Guetta is fucking magician. He's my idol. Anxious

Lol, I've seen him live mate. He was DJing without his hands. How cool is that?
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 03/10/2014 21:14
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
Lol, I've seen him live mate. He was DJing without his hands. How cool is that?

Surprised
OMG YOU SAW HIM LIVE? #JELLY
He truly is a master. How does he even do it? I mean, I've seen Skrillex do it as well, but they're both geniuses. I bet the "animals" in this group can't even DJ like that!
rayword45

United States

• Posted: 03/10/2014 23:34
  • Post subject:
I would actually put this as one of my least favorite AnCo releases, as the only song that I still really, REALLY enjoy is Summertime Clothes. I do enjoy Brother Sport, Lion In A Coma and the first two tracks quite a bit though.
  • Visit poster's website
lightmyway
Swimming into view

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2014 01:43
  • Post subject:
What's the appeal of this band? Not trying to be mean or anything but I never got what the big deal was, somebody explain AnCo to me.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/11/2014 02:05
  • Post subject:
The appeal goes back to the appeal of neo-psychedelia and a bit more to the art rock concept or at least that’s how I think of it. Also, I think a lot of us really appreciate texture, sonic layering, and experimentation that goes into styles of music such as the one that Animal Collective are a part of. I remember when I picked up Panda Bear at a record store in Maine and I was like “I can’t wait to see what sounds he experiments with on this one” – sure sometimes the experimentation or production might not be the most cohesive but when it works it creates a very interesting and quality record.

Not sure how to really explain much of an overall appeal but I like the sounds, textures, layers, and creative experimentation in general. But like I said this isn't even my favorite Animal Collective record less one I think is their best.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/11/2014 02:18
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
I remember when I picked up Panda Bear at a record store in Maine

Wasn't he heavy? :O
Silver

• Posted: 03/11/2014 02:27
  • Post subject:
Probably my sixth favorite Anco album, still amazing though. If someone told me that they thought Animal Collective was the best band of all time, I wouldn't really have too many objections. From Spirit They're Gone they've managed to cover so much ground while still retaining the ability to write such compelling songs, they're really the perfect blend of experimentation with substance. Merriweather in itself is a beautiful album, and probably the album that I think most embodies summer. Half of the album feels amazingly fun and upbeat while the other half perfectly encapsulates the lazy, free feeling of the season. In The Flowers is definitely my favorite song off it, the whole middle section is one of the most powerful moments in Anco's discography as a whole, it's just fantastic. Even though this album is behind a lot of other Anco releases for me, it's a spectacular trip that only further cements how amazing of a band they are. In so many other band's discographies this would be the best album

Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished is still the best thing they've ever done though.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2014 02:28
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
If someone told me that they thought Animal Collective was the best band of all time,.

Yeah, I don't know anyone who thinks that...
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 03/11/2014 03:22
  • Post subject:
Animal Collective is up there for me, to be honest. I also agree that Spirit is their best work, and unsurprisingly (as it has the same lineup of Avey/Panda) Sung Tongs is my second favorite. As for the subject of the thread, MPP was my first exposure to AnCo (yes, I'm one of THOSE people) and it still holds a special place in my heart. Though I think their other releases are technically superior and I've formed a stronger personal bond to a few, it still stands out as a formative record for my palette and a damn fine slab of indie rock/pop/whatever.

In response to the person wondering what people like about AnCo, I can second Gowie's sentiments and also say that those technical elements are put on display in packages that betray their own complexity. What I mean is that from Panda Bear's solo output to the furthest reaches of AnCo's proper discography, there is a keen pop sensibility that catches most people's ears (or so I would assume given their immense popularity). It's refreshing to see such an adventurous band in the forum of rock music (though their influences obviously aren't just in that arena) with as much cleverness as they that don't posture themselves around that intelligence (say, in comparison to Arcade Fire or Radiohead who, while certainly sonically dense at times and regularly pop-tastic, are at least in their public personas squarely up their own asses much of the time). Maybe it's The Beach Boys or maybe it's the fun-loving dance producers like Daft Punk from whom they gleam their optimism and good nature, but either way, it's a welcome layer to their image that comes through often in the music. Just my two cents, though. I can definitely understand how some of those little flourishes and density can come off as annoying or grating, too.
luchofernando

• Posted: 03/11/2014 06:13
  • Post subject:
The best ANIMAL COLLECTIVE album.
  • Visit poster's website