The Repo Zone: 1999

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 12/21/2017 09:12
  • Post subject:
Your Wild Nothing review was spot on. I used to that album & Gemini (Tatum's debut) a lot in high school. It's strongly embedded in a memory I have of my best friend & I cutting down south to see beaches in New South Wales around New Years, three years ago. It's just so fun. His next album with the project is fairly decent, he took a kind of predictable route on it but it's not without its supply of repayable tracks. Have you heard his album? I doubt it will be something you expect. It's pretty chamber pop orientated.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/21/2017 17:06
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:
Your Wild Nothing review was spot on. I used to that album & Gemini (Tatum's debut) a lot in high school. It's strongly embedded in a memory I have of my best friend & I cutting down south to see beaches in New South Wales around New Years, three years ago. It's just so fun. His next album with the project is fairly decent, he took a kind of predictable route on it but it's not without its supply of repayable tracks. Have you heard his album? I doubt it will be something you expect. It's pretty chamber pop orientated.

No. This was my first Wild Nothing experience. Just started to listen to Gemini. Will check them all out!

Really digging Youth Lagoon so far.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 12/22/2017 07:02
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Really digging Youth Lagoon so far.

I'm so happy to hear that! Very Happy

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2017 01:10
  • Post subject:
50. The Professionals

The Very Best Of The Shirelles by The Shirelles

Sha la la la la… (Baby, It’s You)

Do Be Do Be Do... (Everybody Loves a Lover)

They were just regular-old boy crazy teenagers like the rest of us. Talked into entering the talent show by their music teacher supposedly. Luckily for all of us, they were positively obsessed with the local radio R&B station WWRL, so they decided to write a song. Their own song. “I Met Him on A Sunday.” And what happened next, they never could have imagined. A random girl in their high school positively LOVED the song. And knew her Mom - Florence “Force of Nature” Greenberg — was looking to break into the music business. So our heroines auditioned for her. In Florence’s banal living room. And that was it. Life took over. The situation was out of their control. Because this was not just some Florence Greenberg. This was Florence “Veritable Force of Nature” Greenberg. And you pretty much had to be if you were going to start your very own DIY record label - Scepter Records - in the 50s as a woman. She was indie way before there was indie. I mean she makes Ian Mackay look like a freakin’ slacker.

You see Florence Greenberg was positively enamored with the music industry. Once her children got into high school in the NYC suburb of Passaic , she’d got pulled into the gravitational field of Manhatten. And hung out at this place called The Turf. It had the bestest location in the whole world as far as Florence was concerned - right next door to the Brill Building. So she’d hang there. Talking to songwriters at times, but mostly just soaking in its energy. The excitement. The chaos. All these people hustling songs. It was filled with life. Producers from the nearby Brill Building would just stop in and yell ”We Need a bass player! Who plays bass?” It must have been positively delirious. Especially for a housewife from Jersey.

The Shirelle girls themselves never wrote another hit. It didn’t matter. The machinery was in place. The professionals of The Brill Building were brought in. Producer Luther Dixon moved in. And he and the songwriters from the Brill building such as Gooff-King became chiefly responsible for the rest of their hits. Hell, even Mrs. Greenberg herself helped write one.

And that was good thing! Because while “I Met Him a on Sunday” is a cute boy crush song, it honestly doesn’t hold a candle to the rest of the cuts on this comp. The attention to detail, the choruses, the sense of humor - the writing is top notch through & through - and you immediately know why the Brill Building became legendary. And you value the work of these professionals.

But what makes The Shirelles so god honestly notable is the little things . The things that take guts. Add just enough daring. How they paint outside the lines of a traditional pop songs. Add just enough snarling proto-punk attitude and city smarts to their songs. And that’s the key to a great POP song. Give us the sticky sweet but also a little something extra. Something with heart. Something creative. Something just a bit deferent so that it gets you noticed.

And that’s mostly due to Florence. I mean she’s the one who knew NOT to mess with “Louie, Louie” by The Kingsmen despite the fact that the one microphone for the vocals was not working. The vocals instead just bled into the instrumental mic. And she had the ear to realize that THAT’S what made it exceptional. What made it cool.

Tomorrow is his wedding day and you’ll keep quiet if your smart! (Foolish Little Girl)

Grade: A- It’s crazy. I mean I knew the girl groups were a huge influence on punk and all. You can’t be a record geek and not know that. But I never knew how positively proto-punk some of these songs were. The opening belted line of “Dedicated To The One I Love” is positively New York Dollish. In fact, David Johansen’s entire personna seems to be culled together from snippets of these songs. Or take a looksie at stuff like the taunting, chiding refrain “Tomorrow is his wedding day and you’ll keep quiet if your smart” from “Foolish Little Girl”. It’s meta way before there was meta. It’s like something lifted straight from KD’s music diary. Or The Leftovers for that matter. It makes me giddy to hear the roots of punk in these here songs. That inimitable New York City attitude. So do yourself a favor this Christmas season and don’t wait as long I did to figure that out. Because this shit is proto-punk gold.

Merry Christmas, Motherfuckers!

• Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 12/24/2017 11:57
  • Post subject:
Awesome write-up. Have you listened to an album by them? Do you think a best-of is more consistent? I've never got into them but I'd like to now haha
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2017 20:06
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
Awesome write-up. Have you listened to an album by them? Do you think a best-of is more consistent? I've never got into them but I'd like to now haha

Thanks, brother!

They were a singles band so a comp like this is the way to go.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/28/2017 21:13
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:

Baby, It's You by The Shirelles

I entirely disagree that this compilation is better than the long plays that the group put out. The idea of a “singles band, so compilations is better” is a myth perpetuated against the early album format that isn’t remotely true. I have a huge soul music collection and there is a higher album-to-compilation ratio. The only time compilations are the “way to go” is when a band didn’t get a chance to publish a large discography of long-plays.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2017 02:45
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

Baby, It's You by The Shirelles

I entirely disagree that this compilation is better than the long plays that the group put out. The idea of a “singles band, so compilations is better” is a myth perpetuated against the early album format that isn’t remotely true. I have a huge soul music collection and there is a higher album-to-compilation ratio. The only time compilations are the “way to go” is when a band didn’t get a chance to publish a large discography of long-plays.

Yeah. I'm NOT and don't even pretend to be an expert on The Shirelles or any other girl band band for that matter from the late 50s/early 60s. However, from what I've heard, The Shirelles stand out. I like them better than most of the other girl bands I've heard from that era such as the ones featured on the Rhino comps that BayState was checking outing.

The comp you highlight does seem kind of weak. The comp I reviewed however is AMAZING, and I highly recommend it to Drak and anyone else who is interested in girls groups and their influence on punk. The Shirelles were truly an exceptional band, and I think that had a lot to do with Florence Greenberg and that producer she brought in (I can't remember his name off the top of my head). But again, I'm no expert.

I'm totally happy to get some recs of some of your favorite LPs from girl groups from this period, Gowi!!! Very Happy

Peace!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/29/2017 05:05
  • Post subject:
Baby It’s You is a full-length studio record, not a compilation, and no it is NOT mediocre or "weak".

This is why I hate Best Of compilations. It shows a weighted sample of what a band, group, or artist was instead of really showing the band at its purest, as intended. Compilations are the fast food of the music world and outside of some very niche exceptions, they’re all unneeded cash-grabs that lose perspective on an artist. The Shirelles deserve better. Just like their contemporaries. The Shirelles’ don’t have a large discography – it’s not hard to take a look into their records. This compilation while showing snippets of the Shirelles’ quality performances is just that. Snippets. During the peak of their time on Scepter Records they cut only five records. The Shirelles deserve to be taken seriously and for someone who cares about them to listen to those five records. Depending on a compilation and heralding it as such seems to me disingenuous at best.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2017 05:18
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Baby It’s You is a full-length studio record, not a compilation, and no it is NOT mediocre or "weak".

This is why I hate Best Of compilations. It shows a weighted sample of what a band, group, or artist was instead of really showing the band at its purest, as intended. Compilations are the fast food of the music world and outside of some very niche exceptions, they’re all unneeded cash-grabs that lose perspective on an artist. The Shirelles deserve better. Just like their contemporaries. The Shirelles’ don’t have a large discography – it’s not hard to take a look into their records. This compilation while showing snippets of the Shirelles’ quality performances is just that. Snippets. During the peak of their time on Scepter Records they cut only five records. The Shirelles deserve to be taken seriously and for someone who cares about them to listen to those five records. Depending on a compilation and heralding it as such seems to me disingenuous at best.

sounds good, Gowi! I'll check it out for sure. You should list your five favorite girl group LPs of all time! I'd totally check them out. Peace, brother!
  • Visit poster's website