BEA's 250 Greatest Films of All Time [Poll Dead]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/23/2017 18:19
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:
Oh lord no. Please tell me we aren't going to have a Star Wars movie in the top 10. Please no. Please. Please.

Dun dun...
Dun dun...

Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun....
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/23/2017 18:21
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:
Oh lord no. Please tell me we aren't going to have a Star Wars movie in the top 10. Please no. Please. Please.

Empire Strikes Back isn't somewhere in the 250-11 range, so it's gonna be Top 10. Sorry bro. I hate it too if that makes you feel better.
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 05/23/2017 18:24
  • Post subject:
hereforashortime wrote:
Predicting the Top 10 (unranked)

Eternal Sunshine
Pulp Fiction
Vertigo
Taxi Driver
Spirited Away
The Empire Strikes Back
It's a wonderful Life
Shawshank
Citizen Kane

I'd say that's about right. Unless some wildcard movie appears out of nowhere in the top 10 and shocks everyone.
nutso42

• Posted: 05/23/2017 18:32
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I hate it too if that makes you feel better.

On the plus side, I think we're clear of Return of the Jedi. So there's some upside.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/23/2017 18:38
  • Post subject:
HazeyTwilight wrote:
hereforashortime wrote:

Eternal Sunshine
Pulp Fiction
Vertigo
Taxi Driver
Spirited Away
The Empire Strikes Back
It's a wonderful Life
Shawshank
Citizen Kane

I'd say that's about right. Unless some wildcard movie appears out of nowhere in the top 10 and shocks everyone.

Wait until everyone sees where Spy Kids 2 ranks

Just gunna throw some names out there.... It's A Beautiful Life, Once Upon A Time In The West, Sunrise, Jurassic Park, Tokyo Story, Rashomon, To Kill A Mockingbird, Return of The Jedi... you never know Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/23/2017 19:17
  • Post subject:
Well. My favorites did as well as they reasonably could. Lol.

So out of the expected top 10 there's no telling where they end up but I believe 4 of those were on my list. I guess I'm rooting for Vertigo by default.

Hayden's attempted swerve almost has me. People love them some To Kill a Mockingbird. But what wouldn't make it? Hopefully Shawshank.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 05/23/2017 21:37
  • Post subject:
I love Empire Strikes Back, but it still feels wrong to have it in our top 10. Unfortunately our list often trends towards "most watched movies" instead of "greatest" - look at the gaps in Ghibli films and the especially overly high (in my opinion) ratings of A New Hope, Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Truman Show,

I don't think I've ever met anyone who would say that Back to the Future is better as a movie than Dr. Strangelove, Psycho, Casablanca, Dark Knight, The Godfather, The Shining, etc. Maybe better than some of them but not all of them. It's a real good film, but it's not any of those. If we rated these movies out of 10 and standardized them, I doubt that Back to the Future would be higher than any of those, even though it's higher here. Which is fine - doing it that way would bring up other issues, this is just how we do it.

Also super confused by the gap between our Godfathers (and still will defend that Part II is better) but whatever.

HazeyTwilight wrote:
hereforashortime wrote:

Eternal Sunshine
Pulp Fiction
Vertigo
Taxi Driver
Spirited Away
The Empire Strikes Back
It's a wonderful Life
Shawshank
Citizen Kane

If I had to guess, you're pretty much spot on, though I could imagine any of Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderful Life, Vertigo, or Taxi Driver missing the list in favor of Return of the Jedi or Jurassic Park depending upon the people who PMd lists in. Again I think this is probably right but I could absolutely see at least Jurassic Park being the surprise and one of the older films being knocked off.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 05/23/2017 22:26
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:

Also super confused by the gap between our Godfathers (and still will defend that Part II is better) but whatever.

Testify! Pray
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2017 02:22
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Empire Strikes Back isn't somewhere in the 250-11 range, so it's gonna be Top 10. Sorry bro. I hate it too if that makes you feel better.

To be clear, I don't hate the movie. But Top 10...smh and rme.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2017 07:49
  • Post subject:
I never was expecting it to be the greatest "best films" list. Of course there's a lot people haven't and won't see stuff for various reasons. As a film lover of all kinds it is hard to understand why someone might not want to watch a 5 hour black and white Dutch period piece, but people have their reasons. I'm not gonna read a 900 page Victorian era novel but a lot of literature buffs would cream their pants over something like that.

No Country for Old Men beats There Will Be Blood AGAIN. I hate you guys. Haha just kidding. But for real, what the hell? No Country is great. I love it. There's nothing wrong with it. It is a fucking awesome film and one of the Coen Brothers' 10 best. But whyyyy? I get it. It's more accessible. More modern. More shocking. More thrilling. More violent (!?). But it's just not as good. Not as compelling. Not as fun. Have someone else play Daniel Day-Lewis's part and it might be close enough to justify. Even then There Will Be Blood would probably be better; if it was a lesser actor playing the part, you still had Paul Dano, who truth be told was just as robbed by the Academy as PTA. But just the fact that Day-Lewis provides the most flawlessly entertaining performance of all time elevates it to another level.

OK that's all the ranting I'll do. At least it was against a movie I still love. I won't go into Fight Club or Donnie Darko because yeah, nice list.

It would be interesting to see how much in common this has with the IMDb top 250 because by the looks of it we're actually pretty similar. Embarassed The internet consensus will be the internet consensus I suppose. Brick wall
  • Visit poster's website