Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2014 06:00
  • Post subject:
samistake2ice wrote:
How would that expand the breadth of her musical interest?

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Jack's already addressed this but as I really do think you're a good guy, you need to know just how much this makes you seem terribly closed minded and dickish. I really like your presence here, so I just wanna say a few things real quick:

1 Let the girl do whatever the hell she wants

2 Dance with her. Doesn't even matter if you like the music, if she means enough to you to be an SO, you should be willing to dance with her. Hell, even just with my closest friends, I'll dance to everything from 2Chainz to New Order, despite hating dancing and 2Chainz. But you know what? They're worth it. It's fun with them. I mean, IDK, but for me, this is honestly an important one. If she's doing it, join her - it might just make her day

3 Have you tried listening to Black Peas? As other have said, they're not awful. Like I'm not big on them, but you make it sound like they're about as bad as it gets, and frankly, idk if anyone else gets this, it feels like you just haven't even given them a shot. Half of being a good friend, IMO (again IDK about an SO), is being willing to try things the other person works, even if you're pretty sure you won't like them. Why? Because the time with the other person's the important bit, and it helps validate that they matter if you're willing to try what they like

4 If the music's just annoying because it's nonestop, try associating it with something (I'm assuming you can connect it to her but to anything in general). I let friends pick 5 songs for me to listen to, and nothing else, for 1 month. Some were mean choices intentionally, some I liked. But I learned to associate the songs with a person, a place, a time, whatever it may be, and even the ones that had originally grated on me gained some meaning

5 I find that in friends' relationships, if something like this is bothering them, it's usually a sign that they're not really enjoying the relationship as a whole. Like Brandon said, I don't know you, but hey, just think about stuff I guess

6 To answer your actual question, because for as much as what you've said bugs me, I've talked about how special connecting with someone over music is, so I hope this can be a point of connecting for you two. Black Eyed Peas actually did a variety of music, so here's some recs depending on what she likes about them:

Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die! by ... The Disco

Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio (I think he's a JD fan, maybe it was smiths IDK) [edit it's totally smiths, hence Panic! as the name of the band, but hell, I'm leaving it for now because I don't wanna actually try and describe the album outside of JUST DANCE it's too infectious)

All Rebel Rockers by Michael Franti

Their more reggae but pop moments remind me of this.

Forget The World by Afrojack

Hey it's someone who worked with Guetta a lot. Just skip Mexico, the rest of this is great and would work I think

Zonoscope by Cut Copy

Totally different really but if she just wants something uplifting and dancey

St. Elsewhere by Gnarls Barkley

Odd Couple too, back when both Gnarls and Black Eyed Peas were HUGE on the radio, this seemed to be the music a lot of kids liked if they didn't want to admit to liking Black Eyed Peas

Don't take anything I've said here as an attack, again, I don't know you irl, I like you overall on the site, but the way you're acting right now seems to suggest either some real insecurity, a feeling that you're lacking a connection, or a feeling that you lack control. Each of those can be messed up or no. It's hard to say

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 06/06/2014 06:42
  • Post subject:
Unfortunately, in my experience, there's no easy solution to a clash in music tastes with partners/spouses. With my wife, the main source of our clashes is not so much that we like vastly different stuff, but that we use music for very different things. She says that for her music is more about comfort. She listens to the same things over and over and over again, and even though she has introduced me to some interesting music, there's only so many times I want to hear the Kingston Trio sing about lemon trees. By contrast, music is more about discovery for me, and hearing the same songs on repeat is very frustrating. I do use music for comfort sometimes, but it's actually pretty rare and it's usually things that I associate with my own childhood, like the Beatles and alt rock.

One solution I've been trying is to build a playlist of songs that we both like. It's been a partial success -- we're already up to 200 songs and we often enjoy it on car trips -- but 90% of the time we still just do our own thing. So I know where you're coming from. I know you didn't ask for relationship advice, but since people seem to be giving it anyway, I figured I'd just chime in to say that I feel your pain.
Lastings

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2014 14:50
  • Post subject:
This is unreal. She's just trying to have herself a little Black Eyed Peas parade, and the dude just whips his dick out and starts pissing all over the place.

thats going too far, man. I bet Fergie's pissed.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2014 15:03
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
Have you tried listening to Black Peas? As other have said, they're not awful.

Nah. They are awful. As much as we'd all like to believe that all music is good. Someone's gotta be awful, and following the addition of Fergie, Black Eyed Peas joined an elite group of shit musical acts such as Crazy Town, Limp Bizkit, and Attack Attack. Each can literally make you feel dumber by lister to them.

Fortunately for me, my lady's favorites are Elliott Smith, Joanna Newsom, and PJ Harvey so I've never really experienced this problem.

Everyone's giving samistake2ice shit, but I get it. There's only so many times you can hear a song you really disgust before it drives you crazy. It's like when Empire State of Mind was massive and was literally playing every time i entered my grocery store, thai restaurant, pizza place, and every where i went. It was inescapable. I didn't mind the song until the exposure got to unsafe levels.

Also, in regards to the "expand the breadth of her musical interest" comment. I'm hoping this was just a case of bad wording rather than a Poe moment. Like he just wants to hear a variety of pop songs rather than Let's Get Retarded on repeat.

I challenge anyone to listen to this on repeat for the next hour...

Link

• Visit poster's website
Lastings

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2014 15:06
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:

I challenge anyone to listen to this on repeat for the next hour...

Link

• Visit poster's website
Lastings

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2014 15:11
  • Post subject:
so far so good...

• Visit poster's website
Lastings

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2014 15:13
  • Post subject: