Mars Volta possibly the best band of the 2000s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
undefined
  • Posted: 04/14/2016 23:09
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
And good is subjective so it's not really something that can be really cohesively stated objectively. But this conversation isn't about "subjective quality", right?

Honestly I'm not really sure. Tbh the phrase "time signatures are unparalleled" is kind of confusing to me seeing as its just part of every song's structure. Complex or not it's like saying "their tempo is unparalleled"
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States
  • Posted: 04/14/2016 23:13
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
No made up statistics and logical fallacies are probably about as bad as hyperbolic nonsense that isn’t productive or reasonable.

So in order to have a discussion with you, I need to have serious research with real numbers and exacting vocabulary? I guess I don't meet your measure of human.

Gowi wrote:
not take recommendations they are given seriously, and just generally provide non-discussion as a whole as they sit in complacency.

I have taken your suggestions seriously and looked at your 60s chart for more... what are you referring to?

Gowi wrote:

be bluntly honest with behaviors we find unacceptable.

Unacceptable is something like being a blatant racist, sexist, or calling someone an idiot because they have a different opinion. Not seeking understanding and attacking immediately are unacceptable behaviors. Apparently being wrong is an unacceptable behavior.

Gowi wrote:
You also have been the first to state your ignorance with a sense of objective merit and make overreaching statements that are as underdeveloped as they are passive aggressive. I am not meaning to personally attack you, but this is something I have been feeling for awhile now and I think it is better to confront it rather than dismiss it.

Thanks??? And yes... I don't really trust anyone that claims they know everything or act as a know it all. I trust people that try and make connections and look at the good in someone.

Gowi wrote:

Also, as a musician (if we are going to this logical fallacy territory) and as a person who is taken the time to research musical development & history for over a decade, The Mars Volta isn't too unique in their erratic complex time signatures-- several musicians from the 90s Math Rock scene and 70s Krautrock and Zeuhl scene have been doing it for decades and while yes, Mars Volta is within their right to continue that trend (and this is no bearing on quality) but to assume they are sonically unique is wrong.

I never argued that they were sonically unique in the way you are interpreting it. I am saying that they aren't your average rock group.... I mean even as I say that I fear that I'm just going to be yelled at for being an idiot again... awesome environment of good discussion created!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States
  • Posted: 04/14/2016 23:15
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Honestly I'm not really sure. Tbh the phrase "time signatures are unparalleled" is kind of confusing to me seeing as its just part of every song's structure. Complex or not it's like saying "their tempo is unparalleled"

Their use of time signature changes, chord progressions, etc. aren't the run of the mill.

Does that make more sense?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States
  • Posted: 04/14/2016 23:19
  • Post subject:
This is a complete logical fallacy and is totally wrong... people on this site have reached out to me privately saying that they like the discussion I bring as discussions have been stale. I have also started countless threads with questions on how do you find new music, what do you think of such and such... questions to fuel discussion.

Gowi wrote:

just generally provide non-discussion as a whole as they sit in complacency.

Why the fuck is it important to you to personally attack me instead of provide questions that stir up real discussion as you yourself said I don't provide?

All you did was laugh at me. Real discussion starter....
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 04/14/2016 23:23
  • Post subject:
Quote:
So in order to have a discussion with you, I need to have serious research with real numbers and exacting vocabulary? I guess I don't meet your measure of human.

This statement is passive aggressive and condescending.

Quote:
I have taken your suggestions seriously and looked at your 60s chart for more... what are you referring to?

Then why did you not reply to me in the 60s diary you made? Why have we had so little discussions about stuff we've shared with one another? Also, this isn't necessarily an absolute problem with you but with people in the community; it's not fair to completely target you.

Quote:
Unacceptable is something like being a blatant racist, sexist, or calling someone an idiot because they have a different opinion. Not seeking understanding and attacking immediately are unacceptable behaviors. Apparently being wrong is an unacceptable behavior.

No. Making overreaching statements, made up statistics, and other behaviors I will not condone is unacceptable.

Quote:
Thanks??? And yes... I don't really trust anyone that claims they know everything or act as a know it all. I trust people that try and make connections and look at the good in someone.

I have tried to make connections, look at someone optimistically, and explained myself like a civil adult. We've had several conversations proving this. I do not claim to know everything if that is some jab at me. But yes, I know a lot and sometimes it'd be great if a productive dialogue could be made with such understanding-- but there people on this site who know more than me.

Quote:
I never argued that they were sonically unique in the way you are interpreting it. I am saying that they aren't your average rock group.... I mean even as I say that I fear that I'm just going to be yelled at for being an idiot again... awesome environment of good discussion created!

The central definition and use of the word unparalleled is that of uniqueness that cannot be matched. Your backpedaling of "exceptional" as your definition was ridiculous. Also do not patronize me with guilt trip tactics, you are an adult just like I am.

Quote:
Why the fuck is it important to you to personally attack me instead of provide questions that stir up real discussion as you yourself said I don't provide?

All you did was laugh at me. Real discussion starter....

It was a toxic condescending laugh, yes. I am not perfect, I can slip up in my own behaviors. I admit that. Also, I have not once personally attacked you; I have criticized your behavior in better hopes to be transparent with my frustration, but not once did I call you an idiot or some other actual personal attack. I am not Satie, I do not have the pretentious assertion that I am better than you by right of birth.

Last edited by mickilennial on 04/14/2016 23:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
undefined
  • Posted: 04/14/2016 23:24
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Their use of time signature changes, chord progressions, etc. aren't the run of the mill.

Does that make more sense?

fair enough. I guess to me it just seems like an odd thing to praise rather than just kinda make note of
Allabaster
  • Posted: 04/14/2016 23:31
  • Post subject:
In argument, persuasion is most easily achieved when you are not viewed as an adversary.
undefined
  • Posted: 04/14/2016 23:34
  • Post subject:
Allabaster wrote:
In argument, persuasion is most easily achieved when you are not viewed as an adversary.

RoundTheBend

United States
  • Posted: 04/14/2016 23:35
  • Post subject:
Gowi... I think we may have misunderstood each other and I'm sorry for not just letting it be and assuming that you too are a good person.

Calling my understanding of the word unparalleled pathetic is exactly why I feel like you look down on me. I think it's fair to assume people use words to mean something that maybe isn't always interpreted the same by everyone? Even the same person might understand a piece of poetry differently when they read it at different times in their life for example?

I asked the question that I need exacting information when I speak with you because that's exactly what you are expecting from me... how is that condescending? I really do feel like you are belittling me because I don't use words, logic, or numbers correctly.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States
  • Posted: 04/14/2016 23:36
  • Post subject:
On another note... I'd love to talk 60s albums with you again. I actually love your 60s chart as it has a lot on it that I imagine I would like.

By the time you joined the conversation I was a little demotivated by everything, and so I apologize for not treating your post with the respect it deserved.
  • Visit poster's website