Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States
  • Posted: 05/18/2011 15:00
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
No, the message is: do good, not because it will get you into heaven, but because it is good. This is one of the most fundamental aspects of Christianity and it is disheartening that you've confused it with having no accountability whatsoever.

I am aware that christianity wants to take credit for that message of goodness. I am a firm believer in doing good, as I am sure are millions of buddhists, hindus, muslims, and brights, and it does not require a corrupt religious system based on superstition to spread that message.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 05/18/2011 15:10
  • Post subject:

Link

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia
  • Posted: 05/19/2011 02:04
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
No, the message is: do good, not because it will get you into heaven, but because it is good. This is one of the most fundamental aspects of Christianity and it is disheartening that you've confused it with having no accountability whatsoever.

I am aware that christianity wants to take credit for that message of goodness. I am a firm believer in doing good, as I am sure are millions of buddhists, hindus, muslims, and brights, and it does not require a corrupt religious system based on superstition to spread that message.

So you mean to say that you're dropping that last argument and are now complaining that Christianity says it is the only way to comprehend good and evil? Because I don't believe that either. Nor am I a fan of superstition.

What I will claim however is that theism is the only worldview that provides a logical basis for the existence of objective good and evil.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 05/19/2011 02:18
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
Bork wrote:
SquishypuffDave wrote:

So you mean to say that you're dropping that last argument and are now complaining that Christianity says it is the only way to comprehend good and evil? Because I don't believe that either. Nor am I a fan of superstition.

What I will claim however is that theism is the only worldview that provides a logical basis for the existence of objective good and evil.

Damn Squishy you are a lot smarter than you look Very Happy

Well said.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
bcaie16

Canada
  • Posted: 05/19/2011 02:26
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
Bork wrote:
SquishypuffDave wrote:

How is theism logical? Superstition is not logical. "Faith" is not logical.
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States
  • Posted: 05/19/2011 02:41
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
Bork wrote:
SquishypuffDave wrote:

Not dropping any argument. In a response to the previous post I pointed out what I believe to be a serious problem in the bible and in most religious teaching - the importance for god to be believed in and hailed, this part being so important that everything but that can be forgiven. Based on this statement you accused me (as well as Jhereko) of misunderstanding the entire message of christianity to which I could have replied 'No good Sir, I have not missed that point' or 'I don't believe that is the entire point of the christian religion but I am aware that at times of being questioned that is always pulled out as supposedly unattackable defense', but instead I left those parts and went on to simply state that if that is the entire reason for christianity's existence it would fare better if it dropped all the lies and argued that sensibly. I apologize for not being clear enough.

SquishypuffDave wrote:

That makes for an interesting debate which we probably should leave for another thread, but it is a standpoint that has been discussed extensively and isn't entirely easy to argue with.
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States
  • Posted: 05/19/2011 02:43
  • Post subject:
bcaie16 wrote:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
Bork wrote:
SquishypuffDave wrote:

How is theism logical? Superstition is not logical. "Faith" is not logical.

Sorry for answering this, but that is not what is being said here. What is said is that without an objective measure of what is good and evil there can not be objective good and evil, it would all be relative, which poses quite a few other problems.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia
  • Posted: 05/19/2011 10:24
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
Not dropping any argument. In a response to the previous post I pointed out what I believe to be a serious problem in the bible and in most religious teaching - the importance for god to be believed in and hailed, this part being so important that everything but that can be forgiven. Based on this statement you accused me (as well as Jhereko) of misunderstanding the entire message of christianity to which I could have replied 'No good Sir, I have not missed that point' or 'I don't believe that is the entire point of the christian religion but I am aware that at times of being questioned that is always pulled out as supposedly unattackable defense', but instead I left those parts and went on to simply state that if that is the entire reason for christianity's existence it would fare better if it dropped all the lies and argued that sensibly. I apologize for not being clear enough.

Fair call. From both comments you and Jhereko seemed to be claiming that with forgiveness there is no moral accountability. But if that's not what you were saying, then my bad.

Here are some of my particular views on the subject you raise:

I think those that remain unforgiven do so by refusing God's invitation, in whatever form that takes in their lives. I would never be so presumptuous as to postulate who is saved or unsaved, because everyone's experience of God is different. For example, on my worldview, your apprehension of moral values is itself an apprehension of the nature of God.

And maybe you're right, maybe the idea of culpable unbelief is a corruption, but that would do nothing to shake my initial belief: People are created in the image of God, endowed with freedom of the will, and pursued by a loving Heavenly Father who yearns to reconcile them with Himself.

These issues are ones I take seriously too, but at the bottom of it I believe in a just God.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States
  • Posted: 05/19/2011 14:23
  • Post subject:
Well I finally figured out how this Debt topic is related to this tangent:

"And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." Matthew 6:12
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States
  • Posted: 05/19/2011 14:53
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Well I finally figured out how this Debt topic is related to this tangent:

"And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." Matthew 6:12

Ah. I have been searching for that one. I will bring it to my bank and see how it goes. Wish me luck.
  • Visit poster's website