Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
TiggaTrigga

• Posted: 08/14/2017 11:24
  • Post subject:
What is Faust (the album) supposed to be about/trying to say?

The last time I listened to it, I felt I understood, at least, some of what it was trying to say (at least Why Don't You Eat Carrots?); to me, that song presented a post-nuclear apocalypse, or the passing of time into some void of randomness and confusion. This time, though, I felt more confused than ever: the music just seemed nonsensical and novel, presenting one musical idea after another without rhyme or reason. Reading the lyrics just made it seem even more "pointless": like Faust is pretentiously trying to sound different. And, I even read Scaruffi's account. Brick wall

The only guess I have is an amalgamation of life in general, or something about existentialism.

Also, I'm wondering what you feel these instrumental songs are trying to say: Facelift (Soft Machine), Interstellar Overdrive (Pink Floyd), Satz Ebene (Klaus Schulze), Kyrie (Popol Vuh), Zombie Warfare (Chrome), Reoccurring Dreams (Husker Du), The Great Gig in the Sky (Pink Floyd) and Free-Form Freak Out (the first one) (Red Crayola).
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/14/2017 20:42
  • Post subject:
@TiggaTrigga ... Great questions Smile I will get back to you soon re: Faust. Maybe the others a bit later or gradually, one or two at a time. Just crazy busy these days with Classical, and now more recently revisiting various Films (which is extra time consuming) + "life in general".
  • Visit poster's website
boyd94

• Posted: 08/15/2017 07:45
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Said the angel to the Queen
I lift my skirt when Voltaire turns
As he speaks, his mouth full of garlic
White, yes, white
Misfortune of us two
He told you to be free
And you obeyed
We have to decide what is important

A war we never see
Or a street so black that babies die?
A system and a theory
Or our wish to be free?
To organise and analyse
And at the end realise
That nobody knows
If it really happened

The album begins, interestingly, by sampling and then erasing into white noise the Rolling Stones and the Beatles.

Judging from these lyrics and the formal features of the album, it seems to be roughly postmodern in its rejection of grand narratives, the canon, organised 'systems' of thought etc.

In the context of 1971, the dominant image I have in my mind as I listen, especially during Side 1, is a band of anarchists merrily dancing in a graveyard in the wake of a monument to the 60s. The closing lines are a scathing critique of nostalgia.
  • Visit poster's website
TiggaTrigga

• Posted: 08/18/2017 01:21
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I get a partial vibe that the album is trying to express the doubt of perception of reality, especially with the distortion of The Stones and The Beatles. What do you think Meadow Meal is trying to say? I've read that people interpret it as an anti-meat-eating message; the lyrics "me is a meadow meal" and "a wonderful wooden reason" just puzzle me. The "his mouth full of garlic " lyric threw me off, too.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/29/2017 22:10
  • Post subject:
@TiggaTrigga ... Sorry, life has been very busy but I haven't forgotten! Films, Music, work, family, friends ... and working through relationship stuff. She doesn't like Captain Beefheart and this caused all sorts of issues (just kidding lol). Anyway ... I should have enough of a crack in the space-time continuum of life to finally get back to you about Faust within the next few days.
  • Visit poster's website
TiggaTrigga

• Posted: 08/31/2017 20:24
  • Post subject:
No problem! You honestly don't need to feel like you need to rush a response or that you "owe" it to me. School's started for me recently, so my free time has been drastically cut as well. Brick wall

And they say the true test of love is Twin Infinitives.

...I patiently await your helpful analysis. Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/31/2017 22:21
  • Post subject:
TiggaTrigga wrote:
And they say the true test of love is Twin Infinitives.

I played the whole album over a romantic evening dinner with her and I haven't seen her since. Not sure what went wrong. She must still be coming down from her awe over the whole experience, so I'm giving it a little more time. Laughing Laughing Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
TiggaTrigga

• Posted: 08/31/2017 23:49
  • Post subject:
You have to make sure she has Ice Cream for dessert while listening to track 2, or else the whole album won't make sense. It's like starting The Dark Side of the Moon after the 3rd lion roar in The Wizard of Oz.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 08/31/2017 23:51
  • Post subject:
TiggaTrigga wrote:
You have to make sure she has Ice Cream for dessert while listening to track 2, or else the whole album won't make sense. It's like starting The Dark Side of the Moon after the 3rd lion roar in The Wizard of Oz.

Oh crap, thanks for the tip! Idea
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/06/2017 21:11
  • Post subject:
TiggaTrigga wrote:
What is Faust (the album) supposed to be about/trying to say?

I'm still very short on time but I'll chime in for now and say:

The fundamental key to opening the door to the significance of the album is probably:

"The album’s overwhelming feeling is one of loneliness, helplessness, and despair." --Piero Scaruffi

The rest of the work comes together so long as one hears this in its sound to begin with. Once this is properly observed and felt, the lyrical nature of its various moments and climaxes becomes more meaningful, and the work should sooner or later come together and take on an overwhelming power and significance.

The key to assimilating this aspect of the work is to notice how every note, passage, climax, no matter how subdued or explosive it is, is played in such a way that the very character of its sound/tonality is "dejected and depleted of humanity" and "lost in a void of emptiness". Even on the most explosive parts, there is a "depletion of humanity" in the sound, an "emptiness", a "spiritual void". Actively notice this throughout every moment of your next few listens and see if the album improves for you. We'll start there, and if I can go over more, I will (if necessary).
  • Visit poster's website