Best Ever Films of 2016 [Lists]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/09/2017 19:18
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Most Underrated Movie of 2016, Sausage Party. That's why I ranked it #1, not because I think it's the best movie of the year but because it deserves more credit. What's wrong with a good laugh? Nothing.
Gowi wrote:
To the people who voted for Sausage Party—I hate you.

Uh oh, it looks like I've made an enemy. I suppose it doesn't matter our lists have a dozen mutual films. That one is simply a deal-breaker warranting hatred, haha.

Hayden wrote:
Sausage Party got an insane boost on the final day. Appeared really high on four lists.

At the time I submitted on Friday afternoon, its appearances on lists were very few and low. I admit I wanted to give it a boost but never thought it'd make #15.

Anyway it's only a list, Gowi. Relax.

Speaking of animated movies, Zootopia at #21 was unexpected. I thought everyone loved that movie. Otherwise I wasn't surprised by our list.

Glad Moonlight didn't get #1. Overrated af.

Glad Green Room (what I really would've picked #1) made an appearance even though it's technically a 2015 festival film that didn't hit theaters til 2016. By the way, I recently noticed Ex Machina is now labeled a 2014 film because it had a BFI festival screening in Dec 2014. These release year technicalities are getting confusing. That's why decade lists are better.

I totally like what we came up with for acting. Andrew Garfield got more points but lost to Casey Affleck. That's what happens when you have two great roles in one year. Just like Amy Adams, who didn't get an Oscar nom probably because voters were split on which role to nominate, thus she didn't get either. But glad she made our list. Gifted actress; I hope someday she wins an Oscar.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/09/2017 19:44
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Speaking of animated movies, Zootopia at #21 was unexpected. I thought everyone loved that movie. Otherwise I wasn't surprised by our list.

I hope someday she wins an Oscar.

I recently noticed Ex Machina is now labeled a 2014 film because it had a BFI festival screening in Dec 2014. These release year technicalities are getting confusing. That's why decade lists are better.

#21 is pretty high, don't worry. I thought that was a fair spot.

Yeah, same. Still think she deserved to win an Oscar for Junebug. Rachel Weisz's performance was nowhere close to hers. Not sure if this year will be her year either... I don't think she has anything terribly promising lined up.

She got a good number of points for Nocturnal Animals as well (somewhere in the #10-12 range I think).

And yeah... I don't think anyone considers Ex Machina a 2014 film Laughing From what I can tell, it only had a single screening in December. I agree with the second bit though. Makes things a lot easier. There's never really any question with 'was this film released this decade?' and whatnot.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2017 04:40
  • Post subject:
A lot of stuff on this I haven't seen. I don't know, nothing in 2016 has really grabbed me so far except my top two, neither of which made the cut. The Nick Cave doc isn't surprising because it was hard to find up until a week or so ago but anybody who's a fan of him and/or music documentaries should definitely check it out. But I thought Train to Busan had enough internet hype and guessed some (or more) of you would have seen it. For those who don't know it's a South Korean zombie film primarily set on said train to Busan, where survivors of the zombie outbreak are trying to reach government-sanctioned safety. It's tense, gripping, and full of characters you want to see survive. Easily the best horror film of the year and quite possibly the best zombie movie this century. Do yourself a favor and pick up the BluRay at WalMart. It looks fantastic and has optional (and very well done) English dubbing for those of us who are subtitle-illiterate.
  • Visit poster's website
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 04/10/2017 12:06
  • Post subject:
ehm...I like our list a lot, so happy to see 20th Century Women at #11
something that I read on imdb:
"During rehearsals, the cast was encouraged to bring in music they believed their characters listened to. Then, to encourage familiarity among the cast, there would be a dance party where the only rule was that everyone had to dance and it didn't matter what the song was."

well, Greta Gerwig choices were awesome Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/10/2017 14:40
  • Post subject:
When I was looking at actors that appeared in multiple films, etc... so see who appeared the most, I realized A LOT of actors are in two films here. Around 20+ or so. Thought that was interesting. Seems like Adam Driver's the only one who appears three times though.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/10/2017 17:15
  • Post subject:
Quote:
That one is simply a deal-breaker warranting hatred, haha.

Yeah. Sorry, we can't be friends now. This is just unacceptable. Absolutely.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/10/2017 19:35
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
The Nick Cave doc isn't surprising because it was hard to find up until a week or so ago

It finally became available online. Going to give it a watch soon.

The one film from 2016 that I want to see that I really have no idea when it'll be available is Ma'Rosa. I can't even find a scheduled release. I'm sure it'll turn up somewhere eventually though.

There's 11 films on our list that I haven't seen... highest one being Hacksaw Ridge. Might give that a chance too.
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 04/11/2017 12:02
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
When I was looking at actors that appeared in multiple films, etc... so see who appeared the most, I realized A LOT of actors are in two films here. Around 20+ or so. Thought that was interesting. Seems like Adam Driver's the only one who appears three times though.

I guess Kristen appears four times (not in our list tho):
Cafe Society, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, Personal Shopper and Certain Women.
I really wanted to watch Personal Shopper but I couldn't find it. I hope to watch it soon.
  • Visit poster's website