Best Ever Actors and Actresses [LISTS]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
hereforashortime

United States
  • Posted: 02/09/2018 17:04
  • Post subject:
Frankly I'd be okay if we redid some of the older polls, it's not like we have the exact same people anymore. Maybe we need to wait a little longer, but I think eventually it'd be okay to redo them.
AwaitingAndrew

United States
  • Posted: 02/09/2018 17:59
  • Post subject:
Director's poll wasn't that long ago, since I participated in it. Not sure that one needs re-polling anytime soon when there are other options.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 02/09/2018 18:00
  • Post subject:
Will note that I'll probably conduct a best of 2017 poll at some point (dunno when... maybe late March.. post-Oscars anyway).
PurpleHazel

United States
  • Posted: 02/10/2018 00:26
  • Post subject:
hereforashortime wrote:
Frankly I'd be okay if we redid some of the older polls, it's not like we have the exact same people anymore. Maybe we need to wait a little longer, but I think eventually it'd be okay to redo them.

I'd love it if some polls were held again. Huge film buff, but only joined BEA in late August and didn't really check out the film subforum till last month.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States
  • Posted: 02/10/2018 06:38
  • Post subject:
I also agree that we could redo some polls but it still seems early at this point to redo any decade lists, or the director list, or whatever. Actually been roughly 3 years since we did animated films but even that seems too soon (spoiler alert: to further prove my "flavor of the month" theory, Inside Out likely isn't gonna crack the top 25 next time). With that said, maybe I'm biased but our horror films list needs redone even though it's not that old.

Along with the obvious 2017 list (which I'm down for waiting post-Oscars or longer because most of my film watching comes after home video release) what do we really have left, though? I'd love to do musicals but I don't think many people here can muster up a top 10, much less a top 100. Ditto for westerns. I guess action movies would be cool, though overall the genre really isn't really my cup of tea, and there would probably be a lot of repeats from the sci-fi/fantasy lists. Documentaries maybe? I wouldn't be able to put together a full 100 but it would be great for recommendations. Film scores is still out there, that one would be cool and tie in well to the music aspect of the site.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States
  • Posted: 02/10/2018 06:52
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
I also agree that we could redo some polls but it still seems early at this point to redo any decade lists, or the director list, or whatever. Actually been roughly 3 years since we did animated films but even that seems too soon (spoiler alert: to further prove my "flavor of the month" theory, Inside Out likely isn't gonna crack the top 25 next time). With that said, maybe I'm biased but our horror films list needs redone even though it's not that old.

Along with the obvious 2017 list (which I'm down for waiting post-Oscars or longer because most of my film watching comes after home video release) what do we really have left, though? I'd love to do musicals but I don't think many people here can muster up a top 10, much less a top 100. Ditto for westerns. I guess action movies would be cool, though overall the genre really isn't really my cup of tea, and there would probably be a lot of repeats from the sci-fi/fantasy lists. Documentaries maybe? I wouldn't be able to put together a full 100 but it would be great for recommendations. Film scores is still out there, that one would be cool and tie in well to the music aspect of the site.

All those things should be done. Though it's probably true most people probably couldn't come up with 50 or 100 musicals or westerns, myself included. In the films forum, I did threads on favorite musicals and favorite gangster films, but they weren't polls. And nobody put a big long list. Maybe if the number was lower like maybe 25.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 02/10/2018 07:48
  • Post subject:
I'm be super down for shorts, docs or soundtracks. I'd be not super down for westerns or musicals (which, I both enjoy quite a bit, but I don't think I could muster more than 25-ish each).
AwaitingAndrew

United States
  • Posted: 02/10/2018 14:39
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I'm be super down for shorts, docs or soundtracks. I'd be not super down for westerns or musicals (which, I both enjoy quite a bit, but I don't think I could muster more than 25-ish each).

Soundtracks or TV Series would be dope.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 02/10/2018 17:28
  • Post subject:
I've noticed we're following a similar pattern to AFI's 100 Years series. They were as follows:

100 Movies, we did that
100 Stars, we just did that
100 Laughs, we did that
100 Thrills, we have not done that
100 Passions, we did that
100 Heroes and Villains, we have not done that
100 Songs, we have not done that
100 Quotes, we have not done that
25 Film Scores, we have not done that
100 Cheers, we have not done that
25 Musicals, we have not done that
100 Movies, we did that
10 Top 10, we've done some genres within this, but not all

This is for ideas. Personally I'd oppose songs, quotes, and cheers (whatever that is). But the others have potential. I could do thrillers, or heroes and villains. Soundtracks/scores would be fitting being this is a music site. I don't personally like musicals, but it's def doable if capped at 25. Gangster films and Westerns were within AFI's 10 Top 10. I like both genres and am down for either of them (again, should probably be capped at 25).

Comic book movies? There's enough of them by now to make a Top 50, haha.

Or what about Best Year for movies, similar to what AAL is currently doing for music?

Again, I'm merely brainstorming ideas. The next one should certainly be Best of 2017. It's that time of year.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 02/10/2018 17:41
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I've noticed we're following a similar pattern to AFI's 100 Years series. They were as follows:

100 Movies, we did that
100 Stars, we just did that
100 Laughs, we did that
100 Thrills, we have not done that
100 Passions, we did that
100 Heroes and Villains, we have not done that
100 Songs, we have not done that
100 Quotes, we have not done that
25 Film Scores, we have not done that
100 Cheers, we have not done that
25 Musicals, we have not done that
100 Movies, we did that
10 Top 10, we've done some genres within this, but not all

The next one should certainly be Best of 2017. It's that time of year.

Cool cool, good list of ideas. I think I agree with everything you said (opposing quotes, songs, 'cheers'). Leaning towards soundtracks so much that I might actually conduct it... will decide in a day or so.
As for 2017, I think a final list wouldn't be posted until late April... I could post the thread early, but I would want everyone (including me) to catch up on the year's releases. Could be a good ground to get recs though... will also decide on what to do with that soon Anxious