Best Films of 2017 [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2018 21:31
  • Post subject:
I don't mean to jump the gun as I'm sure there's more to this thread once some of us get around to seeing stuff we missed, but what's our next one?
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2018 21:58
  • Post subject:
You Were Never Really Here is going to appear on next year's list too, since it had releases in many areas before the deadline, but didn't hit North America until after the deadline. Going to see it next week, and expecting great things.

Some films are about where they belong. Some are a little off. Some are way out of place. I can't wait until we do a Best of 2010s decade list in a few years, so we can see the truly great movies of 2017 (and every year for that matter) stand the test of time, while the good-for-one-watch (if that) movies fall flat on their fucking faces like an entitled stupid white girl jumping out of a speeding car.

badseed wrote:
I don't mean to jump the gun as I'm sure there's more to this thread once some of us get around to seeing stuff we missed, but what's our next one?

I was under the assumption you were hosting a Westerns list next.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/22/2018 02:14
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
You Were Never Really Here is going to appear on next year's list too, since it had releases in many areas before the deadline, but didn't hit North America until after the deadline. Going to see it next week, and expecting great things.

Some films are about where they belong. Some are a little off. Some are way out of place. I can't wait until we do a Best of 2010s decade list in a few years, so we can see the truly great movies of 2017 (and every year for that matter) stand the test of time, while the good-for-one-watch (if that) movies fall flat on their fucking faces like an entitled stupid white girl jumping out of a speeding car.

I was under the assumption you were hosting a Westerns list next.

You Were Never Really Here had a stupidly slaughtered release. I know Ramsey probably doesn't care about the Oscars too much, but she could've scored a few noms if she wanted to. It's great. Hope you like it! Very Happy (rec watching in theatre).

And a 10's will be nearly impossible. Been thinking about that (for music anyway) and it's just insane. What a jam-packed decade. Easily more content than ever before... dwindling it down is impossible. Moonrise Kingdom won our 2010-2014 poll, but I'm not entirely sure if it would hold ground.

And yeah, whatever the next poll is, I'm not involved. Badseed running westerns would be cool though. Smile
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 04/22/2018 02:44
  • Post subject:
Yeah I also assumed are next list was badseed hosting westerns
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/22/2018 06:52
  • Post subject:
I know we talked about it but couldn't remember if anything else was lined up. Alright. Guess I'll roll with it soon.
  • Visit poster's website
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2018 02:33
  • Post subject:
I know it's too early to be thinking about our Best Ever Films of 2018 lists, but will You Were Never Really Here be allowed? I mean assuming so per the above discussion but just want to bring it up again, because everyone needs to see it. It finally came to my state this weekend, so I just went. Superb. I walked out and said to myself, "that was so damn good." It would have been high for sure on my 2017 list if it had a normal release that permitted me to see it before now.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2018 02:55
  • Post subject:
Surely it will, if StreetSpirit is correct. I don't see why not. Split made both our 2016 and 2017 list. Raw made 2017 while just missing 2016.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/25/2018 03:11
  • Post subject:
AwaitingAndrew wrote:
I know it's too early to be thinking about our Best Ever Films of 2018 lists, but will You Were Never Really Here be allowed? I mean assuming so per the above discussion but just want to bring it up again, because everyone needs to see it. It finally came to my state this weekend, so I just went. Superb. I walked out and said to myself, "that was so damn good." It would have been high for sure on my 2017 list if it had a normal release that permitted me to see it before now.

I suppose Laughing

It's one of those films with a butchered release that'll place high on a overall decade list, y'know? Just glad people are getting a chance to see it.

Finally got around to In The Fade. Good stuff. Would've been on my list for sure.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/26/2018 06:26
  • Post subject:
AwaitingAndrew wrote:
Hayden wrote:
It's one of those films with a butchered release that'll place high on a overall decade list, y'know? Just glad people are getting a chance to see it.

Right on. I finally saw You Were Never Really Here a couple days ago. Great film as expected. It might make my Top 10 of 2017, but it's too late for that. Besides, now it's a frontrunner for the 2018 list. A film that good can't be our #47 of 2017 and be left at that. And yeah, decade lists are better because there's no release year technicalities or controversies (unless the technicality is between a year ending in 9 vs. 0).
  • Visit poster's website