• Post subject:
Booooooooo.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 02/26/2019 20:00
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
Kacey's album certainly isn't traditional country, but even the poppier songs have a country influence. OK, maybe not High Horse (apart from her voice and the lyrics), but pretty much anywhere you go it will be categorized as country pop. And Space Cowboy is one of the more traditional songs on the album. Genres have the ability to evolve and it's annoying when we can't refer to something in general terms because it breaks slightly with tradition. Arguing that Space Cowboy isn't a country song is like arguing that Joy Division weren't a punk band.

Also, wasn't that Ween album a parody?

imagine being a country artist and told you are too dreamy to be country when you are just following modern cues and nods from emmylou harris and nanci griffith
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States
  • Posted: 02/26/2019 20:18
  • Post subject:
I didn't mean it as any sort of insult. I'm struggling to hear what's different in the sound (or quite frankly the lyrics) between that song and dream pop/indie pop songs. I think it was a fine dream pop song.

I'm also not biased against country, I like it but don't necessarily listen to a lot of it. (Not any modern country apparently.) And yea, all of Ween's albums are parodies, aren't they? It was just the last country album I listened to.

I'll definitely check out more of her stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States
  • Posted: 02/26/2019 20:59
  • Post subject:
carpents wrote:
I didn't mean it as any sort of insult. I'm struggling to hear what's different in the sound (or quite frankly the lyrics) between that song and dream pop/indie pop songs. I think it was a fine dream pop song.

I'm also not biased against country, I like it but don't necessarily listen to a lot of it. (Not any modern country apparently.) And yea, all of Ween's albums are parodies, aren't they? It was just the last country album I listened to.

I'll definitely check out more of her stuff.

Gotcha - I misinterpreted your post a bit. Which was why I was surprised you used Ween as an example of classic country Very Happy . It's just that I've heard the "this isn't good because it doesn't conform to the genre it's meant to be" argument before and it's always annoying because what even are genres anyway. I can see where you're coming from with the dream pop angle, it's just that with the instruments used it feels less like a dream pop song to me and more like a country song kind of stretched out to fit a more (dream) pop structure. The lyrics are totally country though, she talks about horses and boots and everything.

And yeah, I think this lost less because it's country and more because people liked the other song better. Which is fine, this tourney would be boring if there were no upsets. On to the next set of match-ups.
mickilennial

Poland
  • Posted: 02/26/2019 20:59
  • Post subject:
yeah, there are some surprising dream pop flourishes on kacey's new record, that i'm not gonna contest, but i just found it kinda absurd to dismiss the country elements in the song too
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif
  • Posted: 02/26/2019 21:06
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
yeah, there are some surprising dream pop flourishes on kacey's new record, that i'm not gonna contest, but i just found it kinda absurd to dismiss the country elements in the song too

It was interesting seeing Kacey live on this tour. Whilst I thought the show was overly polished, 'Oh, What A World' - which, on record, reminds me of nothing so much as the gauzy, sunlit, melancholy, subtly ethereal pop of All Saints' 'Pure Shores' - was given a country makeover, full of bluegrass mandolins and prominent pedal steel. A song which I'd previously decided was pure pop suddenly made sense from a country point of you, proving just how naturally (and subtly) Kacey incorporated her influences on this record.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States
  • Posted: 02/28/2019 02:37
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Booooooooo.

Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States
  • Posted: 03/01/2019 00:02
  • Post subject:
OK GUYS i love kacey musgraves too and tbh i am also (pleasantly) surprised by this outcome! dang!

almost any other match up space cowboy would ahve gotten my vote, in terms of my own ranking for the year i have "the club" at #2 and "space cowboy" at #16 so clearly they are both loved by moi

but yeah ngl im p stoked hinds came thru maybe it'll go far?!?! i mean the song speaks for itself Mr. Green

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland
  • Posted: 03/01/2019 02:47
  • Post subject:
anyone who thinks hinds has the better song needs to get the fuck outta my house
  • Visit poster's website