*Charlie Kaufman whispers in my ear*

*he keeps whispering*

*and whispering...*

*and whispering...*

*and eventually, he leaves*

*... but I can still hear him whispering*

*wipes away noseprint*

I'm Thinking Of Ending Things

Somebody has taken everything from Dairy Queen and put it on the lawn. The Dairy Queen is snowing. There is no snow on the lawn. My hair is ice cream. The blizzard(tm) is all of us. Or none? Oklahoma!

This is what Canada's like btw— for those who've never trekked our blizzardy backroads. Exactly like this. Not an ounce that's different. May as well be a documentary.

What a film. Easily the best thing I've seen from this year. Kaufman/Reid script + Zai + the two Jesses... what a combo. Directed by Robert Zemeckis. Brilliant. Just a shame it can't be on a bigger screen.
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 09/05/2020 18:43
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
What a film. Easily the best thing I've seen from this year. Kaufman/Reid script + Zai + the two Jesses... what a combo. Directed by Robert Zemeckis. Brilliant. Just a shame it can't be on a bigger screen.

I thought Kaufman directed it himself
And make Sean Pean
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/05/2020 19:00
  • Post subject:
BozoTyrannus wrote:
I thought Kaufman directed it himself

The only legible title card is by Zemeckis. Sad

We'll never know.

(give it a watch— yeah, Kaufman's the only director)

Also gave the Mulan remake a watch. I know there's this whole boycott and whatnot, but I still think it's an okay film. Probably the best Disney remake they've done. Makes a lot more sense than The Lion King's soulless Savannah singing.
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2020 03:04
  • Post subject:
Just watched I'm Thinking of Ending Things. I had seen the film on a list of upcoming thriller/horror films earlier in the year, and it made me intrigued about the book it's based on so I gave it a read. Easily one of the best books I've ever read, I finished it in a couple days because I couldn't put it down. I was skeptical how it would work as a movie though, given that it's almost entirely the inner dialogue of one character. The film solves this by taking things in a completely different direction while keeping the main story and themes of the book. It's much more surreal, but also a lot more focused somehow. Even though I prefer the book's realistic take on the idea (maybe just because I experienced it first) I think the film is tremendous. A great example of how you can take a work of art and reinterpret it and make something completely different. The visuals are stunning, the snow looks incredible (some of the tensest driving scenes since Twin Peaks Part 3). The horror / suspense elements have been pretty much removed entirely which I think is fine as they wouldn't have worked with this interpretation. And yeah, the script is fantastic as well, really detailed and excellent foreshadowing (though I might not have picked up on it if I hadn't known what was coming).
jnfbn

Turkey

• Posted: 09/08/2020 11:55
  • Post subject:
I'm Thinking of Ending Things is clearly the best thing to come out this year, great construction (or deconstruction) by kaufman, all four performances were at best, and yet another great work of cinemetography by Zal, and great production design, all together looks delicious. I haven't read the book but I kind of realised in the second half that Kaufman took a different turn as the entirety of the second half could not be described in a written medium. I'm not much into horror fiction but I think I'll give it a go...
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/08/2020 18:10
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
I had seen the film on a list of upcoming thriller/horror films earlier in the year, and it made me intrigued about the book it's based on so I gave it a read. Easily one of the best books I've ever read, I finished it in a couple days because I couldn't put it down. I was skeptical how it would work as a movie though, given that it's almost entirely the inner dialogue of one character. The film solves this by taking things in a completely different direction while keeping the main story and themes of the book. It's much more surreal, but also a lot more focused somehow. Even though I prefer the book's realistic take on the idea (maybe just because I experienced it first) I think the film is tremendous. A great example of how you can take a work of art and reinterpret it and make something completely different. The visuals are stunning, the snow looks incredible (some of the tensest driving scenes since Twin Peaks Part 3). The horror / suspense elements have been pretty much removed entirely which I think is fine as they wouldn't have worked with this interpretation.

Yeah, the book's going in my queue. #Canada. Interesting dude. I recognize some of his earlier non-fiction titles. Sister's the first lady of Iceland.

Speaking of Canada-not-Canada, the first smidge of Zimmer's Dune score was released today. Might end up being his best thing in a while. Trailer should be out tomorrow.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/09/2020 02:06
  • Post subject:
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/acade...234585143/

... Neutral

50/50 on this. Doesn't look like it'll be too difficult for films to make the criteria, but there's still a few issues here. I think 1917 would've been a write-off last year.

(99% sure it would make something like I'm Thinking of Ending Things ineligible)
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2020 03:29
  • Post subject:
While others watched I'm Thinking of Ending Things, I went with An American Pickle this past weekend. It was okay. There were some good laughs but some lulls as well. There was more heart in this one than your typical Seth Rogen comedy, as the themes of loss and detachment came across pretty well. I was indifferent to the political satire that came in towards the end. But anyway, Seth Rogen's Russian accent alone made it worthwhile.
Hayden wrote:
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/academy-best-picture-oscar-inclusion-standards-1234585143/

... Neutral

50/50 on this. Doesn't look like it'll be too difficult for films to make the criteria, but there's still a few issues here.

(99% sure it would make something like I'm Thinking of Ending Things ineligible)
It's meant to encourage inclusion, which is a good thing. Still, it seems very easy to for films to meet the criteria.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/09/2020 03:41
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
It's meant to encourage inclusion, which is a good thing. Still, it seems very easy to for films to meet the criteria.

I think more than anything it's Academy PR. The more I reread the criteria, the sillier it seems to even have it in place. Most studio films probably make these requirements without even trying, particularly B and D (and two's all your need).

I think the only films that might genuinely be hit by this are super low budget straight-male-dominated indies (like... if Primer got Oscar buzz, etc...). I think the last BP nom that may not have made the cut is Nebraska.

At the end of the day, these are probably good rules to put in place to hire overseas talent behind the scenes or in more art-focused departments. I'm not entirely sure it'll particularly help systemic issues within Hollywood, but it doesn't hurt.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2020 03:54
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I think more than anything it's Academy PR. The more I read the criteria, the sillier it seems to even have it in place. Most studio films probably make these requirements without even trying, particularly B and D (and two's all your need).
Exactly. Just seems like the Academy is reminding us that they're trying to keep up with the times, as if we didn't already know.
  • Visit poster's website