View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2012 13:32
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:

Ya, real complicated shit there squishy Rolling Eyes

But only if your IQ is about 60 as is yours.

NEXT

Evil or Very Mad

BAD GARY!!! BAD!!!!

GARY, I like you. But when you diss the single most awesome BEA member here, yo gonna get yo arse whooped.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 02/14/2012 17:54
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Just one random note

There's nothing wrong (or less worthy) with making music with sampling, autotuning (etc) even if you can't sing or play, as long as you don't use those tools to try and make people think you can sing and play.

You could argue it is another outlet for expression. And that is the whole purpose of music is it not? Think

Or maybe to sell things? Give negative messages? Yet people who play instruments can just as easily do that.

It's difficult topic to navigate Think Need a sturdy boat through stormy waves. The thunder is the sky regardless of who behaves.
Wombi

• Posted: 02/14/2012 23:33
  • Post subject:
Chemical Smile wrote:
pushing buttons on a computer is not a talent! Evil or Very Mad

I would love to hear what you could come up with when just simply "Pushing buttons on a computer", Chemical Smile. A lot of the sounds you have on your chart (despite it being a rock dominated chart) would have been created by "pushing buttons on a computer". I mean for goodness sake you have Entroducing at #36 on your chart Laughing . That album is in the Guinness Book Of Records for "First Completely Sampled Album". That's right - not one bit was played by DJ Shadow on an instrument. But it's still a highly respected album because "Pushing buttons on a computer" and creating a great album through that, ain't as simple as a lotta people put it and not everyone can do it. I can't sample effectively (and I do a lot of electronic music) - have you ever tried? it's an incredibly difficult craft to get right.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/14/2012 23:50
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Chemical Smile wrote:

I can't sample effectively (and I do a lot of electronic music) - have you ever tried? it's an incredibly difficult craft to get right.

It's a lot more difficult than actually recording it Laughing

I tried a few drum samples for Candles...damn d'oh! Never worked.

And some samples really work Smile Especially in hip-hop.

And techno/ electronica is a lot more difficult than people assume it is...it's not just "click this button, and it sounds good", there's a few dozen more steps after that. Try to actually make a decent, orinigal electronic beat (The Knife, LCD Soundsystem, Kanye West). Good luck.

Of course, you could just be deadmou5, and suck. Neutral Etc..
Wombi

• Posted: 02/15/2012 00:03
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
Chemical Smile wrote:

I can't sample effectively (and I do a lot of electronic music) - have you ever tried? it's an incredibly difficult craft to get right.

It's a lot more difficult than actually recording it Laughing

It really is!

and this ties into what loveless was saying

19loveless91 wrote:
\There's nothing wrong (or less worthy) with making music with sampling, autotuning (etc) even if you can't sing or play, as long as you don't use those tools to try and make people think you can sing and play.

and I think a lot of (and I apologies for generalizing here) 'rock guys' assume that people who sample in music do so because they can't play it (and therefore gain a false sense of superiority) when really it is simply because it gives you a different sound.
Fergenaprido

Canada

• Posted: 02/15/2012 00:16
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
He's just pissed that Skrillex beat Cut Copy...

Now Hayden, if you want to insult someone, at least make it large enough for them to read.

Didn't your mother ever teach you manners? Razz
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 02/15/2012 00:29
  • Post subject:
Chemical Smile wrote:
pushing buttons on a computer is not a talent! :evil:

Yeah! You know what else? Neither is pushing keys on a piano! Or holding down strings on a guitar! Or strumming strings on a harp! Or blowing on a trumpet! Or gliding a bow on a cello! Or fretting a koto! Or contracting and expanding vocal chords! Or...

Oh, wait, yes they are. My bad. See how things seem so easy if you decide to simplify all the effort put into it?

tl;dr, I think you're wrong, biased, your logic is faulty and you don't know a thing about making electronic music.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Chemical Smile

Guatemala

• Posted: 02/15/2012 10:48
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Chemical Smile wrote:

I would love to hear what you could come up with when just simply "Pushing buttons on a computer", Chemical Smile. A lot of the sounds you have on your chart (despite it being a rock dominated chart) would have been created by "pushing buttons on a computer". I mean for goodness sake you have Entroducing at #36 on your chart Laughing . That album is in the Guinness Book Of Records for "First Completely Sampled Album". That's right - not one bit was played by DJ Shadow on an instrument. But it's still a highly respected album because "Pushing buttons on a computer" and creating a great album through that, ain't as simple as a lotta people put it and not everyone can do it. I can't sample effectively (and I do a lot of electronic music) - have you ever tried? it's an incredibly difficult craft to get right.

yeah, fair point about Entroducing. My quote was directed more at the pop rubbish that clogs up radio/tv/grammys. I have no problem with sampling at all - remember i'm a huge hip hop fan so it would be crazy not to appreiciate sampling and the difficulty involved,(i tried it before, the hardest part i found was matching the right tempo/timing with the rest of the music).
The thing i hate is all the processing that goes on in pop music - the looping & cut/pasting chords/progressions rather than playing them all, the fact that every pop song i hear on the radio/tv/gym has the same rave synths & breakdowns as each other. The auto-tune on vocals i especially hate. Pretty much every one of these songs sound the same because they are all made the same way, probably using the same software.
I've mucked around in programs like Garageband and Logic Pro, and it's has been fun, but to me it felt more like playing a game of tetris - joining samples and coloured boxes together - rather than the thrill of sitting in a room with someone else playing along with each other.
And although my chart is probably 90% rock, i'm not some guitar-only-hate-all-electronic-music heathen. There's a lot of "electronic artists" or "electronic albums" i adore: Air, Goldfrapp, Groove Armada, Halou, Hot Chip, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Leftfield, Lemon Jelly, Masive Attack, Thievery Corporation......and while i dislike 'dance music', i'm a big fan of drum & bass (LTJ Bukem, State Of Mind, Dillinja, Roni Size) as well.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2012 17:56
  • Post subject:
Why the FUCK are the Foo Fighters not in the top 100!!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/18/2012 19:21
  • Post subject: Re: Why Dave Grohl Rules
DaveGrohl wrote:
Singing into a microphone and learning to play an instrument and learning your craft is the most important thing for people to do.

I totally disagree. And Grohl, indebted as he and Nirvana were to punk rock music should disagree too. That's a totally ordinary, demagogic speech to do.
  • Visit poster's website