51%
 51%  [14]
Total Votes : 27

Facetious

Pakistan
  • Posted: 07/18/2012 08:19
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:
Anyway, with all the talk of lack of diversity on the site, I was planning on doing a post-punk album tournament but unfortunately there is an album out there that has won a few tournaments already. Most likely win that one too...

But I'll leave that with you.

All the hipsters will love this one Laughing

Let's just hope it doesn't win that tourney too.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States
  • Posted: 07/18/2012 11:50
  • Post subject:
I side with hip-hop man on this one. You people are crazy. This is a result of ignorance, simple-mindedness, and generationalism.
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam
  • Posted: 07/18/2012 11:52
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
I side with hip-hop man on this one. You people are crazy. This is a result of ignorance, simple-mindedness, and generationalism.

And personal preference?
thejoj96
  • Posted: 07/18/2012 15:45
  • Post subject:
You guys are forgetting about jazz and classical.
Wombi
  • Posted: 07/18/2012 17:03
  • Post subject:
thejoj96 wrote:
You guys are forgetting about jazz and classical.

I thought jazz had been mentioned Think guess not

But the trouble with classical is (and jazz to a small degree is similar) is that the format it comes in is in no way comparable to any of the others. It doesn't come in an album format so they're just not comparable (I mean they're are a few that you could but even then...). If I was to start putting classical on my chart I guarantee at the very least 50% of what's there right now would be gone. Also I think people avoid putting classical on their charts (or at least I do) because they know how difficult it is to categorise into an artist and therefore put on the site (albummaster has discussed before how much frustrating it is getting classical added). Do you put it under the original composer or the artist(s) that recorded it?

Anyway...just felt like ranting... Neutral
gussteivi

Sweden
  • Posted: 07/18/2012 17:24
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
I thought jazz had been mentioned Think guess not

But the trouble with classical is (and jazz to a small degree is similar) is that the format it comes in is in no way comparable to any of the others. It doesn't come in an album format so they're just not comparable (I mean they're are a few that you could but even then...). If I was to start putting classical on my chart I guarantee at the very least 50% of what's there right now would be gone. Also I think people avoid putting classical on their charts (or at least I do) because they know how difficult it is to categorise into an artist and therefore put on the site (albummaster has discussed before how much frustrating it is getting classical added). Do you put it under the original composer or the artist(s) that recorded it?

Anyway...just felt like ranting... Neutral

Yes, and I don't think there's any need to go to a website like this to discover good classical music, simply because it's all good. History has already filtered out the mediocre stuff for us.

Ok, there are still bad interpretations, but if you're new to the music that doesn't really matter.
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States
  • Posted: 07/18/2012 23:50
  • Post subject:
OK Microwave wrote:
I think some of the genres that aren't popular here just aren't popular with the general public anymore. Blues, soul, etc. reached their peaks (popular, not necessarily creative) decades ago. If I've met three people in the last five years who have ever sat down and listened to an entire Aretha Franklin album, I'd be surprised. That's no comment on her talent, of course, but on the current popularity of soul music.

With country, that genre is unique. People who are really into country seem much more likely to listen to it exclusively than fans of other genres. It just isn't very likely that someone who thinks Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind by George Strait is the best album ever would want to come on here and compare it to Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. Fans of other genres are different, because we usually listen to more kinds of music. I'd welcome a thread on who's better out of Too $hort and The Cranberries, for instance. :mrgreen:

I'll have to disagree with you about country music fans. What you are describing is one little grouping among all the proponents of the genre. There are those who only listen to the current country charts just like there are those who only listen to the current pop charts. There are those who keep playing Conway Twitty, Hank Snow or George Jones just like there are those who keep listening to Elton John, Frank Sinatra or Joni Mitchell. The thing those people, whether within the country or the pop genre, have in common is that they are not really all that interested in music. The may like to listen to it but they don't want to explore it.

Among those who are genuinely interested in music and like country, you will find just as many eager to explore other genres as anywhere else. I believe you may have based your conclusion on too limited a sample population.
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States
  • Posted: 07/18/2012 23:57
  • Post subject:
Polythene Pam wrote:
And personal preference?

I don't doubt it's a matter of personal preference, after all, it would be strange if someone consciously voted for what they like less. I do however believe this particular personal preference is to some extent based on ignorance. I also believe that Aretha Franklin losing this one says something about the composition of the populace of this institution, and in this case that something is more limited than it wants to be.
  • Visit poster's website
thejoj96
  • Posted: 07/19/2012 00:54
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
I don't doubt it's a matter of personal preference, after all, it would be strange if someone consciously voted for what they like less. I do however believe this particular personal preference is to some extent based on ignorance. I also believe that Aretha Franklin losing this one says something about the composition of the populace of this institution, and in this case that something is more limited than it wants to be.

So just because more voters prefer Kim Deal to Aretha Franklin that automatically makes them ignorant?
OK Microwave

United States
  • Posted: 07/19/2012 01:35
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
I'll have to disagree with you about country music fans. What you are describing is one little grouping among all the proponents of the genre. There are those who only listen to the current country charts just like there are those who only listen to the current pop charts. There are those who keep playing Conway Twitty, Hank Snow or George Jones just like there are those who keep listening to Elton John, Frank Sinatra or Joni Mitchell. The thing those people, whether within the country or the pop genre, have in common is that they are not really all that interested in music. The may like to listen to it but they don't want to explore it.

Among those who are genuinely interested in music and like country, you will find just as many eager to explore other genres as anywhere else. I believe you may have based your conclusion on too limited a sample population.

What I said is just what it seems like to me. I didn't conduct a survey or do comprehensive research, obviously. It's just based on what I've personally observed, which is, of course, different than what other people have. And based on those personal observations, I still believe that someone who lists country as their favorite genre of music is less likely to listen to other new music than people who list another genre as their favorite. I'm not saying that the majority of big country music fans are like that, but just that they seem more likely to be that way than people who have other genres as favorites.
  • Visit poster's website