When music artists say/do terrible things.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
davidhuret

France

• Posted: 12/18/2012 09:17
  • Post subject:
[quote="andy_hunter"]The first name that came to mind was Morrissey and then the Gallagher brothers after that. But no, after each pompous, self-absorbed comment Morrissey makes or every crude, idiotic thing Liam says I still love The Smiths and Oasis just as much.

However, that said, some of the things John Lennon said and did have really put me off him. His solo stuff is the most sanctimonious, pretentious crap I've ever heard. Not to mention his hypocrisy - he's singing about love and peace when he used to beat his wife and left her with a kid he barely saw while he ran off with Yoko. He was such a twat and what makes it worse is no one mentions it. We all know Morrissey and Liam Gallagher are wankers but Lennon gets away scot free.[/quote]

Maybe because there's very little fact in an ocean of rumors. Wife-beating? Find me the evidence. Now abuse, that's different. And he certainly verbally abused a lot of people. But he could also be very, very sweet, as evidenced by letters, postcards, testimonials of those who actually met him,...
And, you know, singing about love and peace doesn't exclude misbehaving at times. We're all human.
To quote the man: "you want to save humanity but it's people that you just can't stand". He was aware of his contradictions. Honesty: that's the key-word with John Lennon.
  • Visit poster's website
davidhuret

France

• Posted: 12/18/2012 09:22
  • Post subject:
Now Ted Nugent... that's an altogether different kettle of fish. A moronic non-genius. He could shoot me for writing this. And he. is. alive... Brrr.
  • Visit poster's website
TracyJacks

Hungary

• Posted: 12/18/2012 21:56
  • Post subject:
andy_hunter wrote:

However, that said, some of the things John Lennon said and did have really put me off him. His solo stuff is the most sanctimonious, pretentious crap I've ever heard. Not to mention his hypocrisy - he's singing about love and peace when he used to beat his wife and left her with a kid he barely saw while he ran off with Yoko. He was such a twat and what makes it worse is no one mentions it. We all know Morrissey and Liam Gallagher are wankers but Lennon gets away scot free.

I read Cynthia Lennon's book and the part 1968-1970 made me really sad: between this period Lennon didn't want to see Julian at all, and how he and Yoko treated his first wife before and after the divorce, that was just disgusting. While in the same time, he sang about 'Imagine all the people living life in peace'...
  • Visit poster's website
davidhuret

France

• Posted: 12/19/2012 14:35
  • Post subject:
Not at the same time as he sang "Imagine", no. That came a bit later, after he had kicked his heroin addiction. He did sing "Give peace a chance " in 1969; though I fail to see the contradiction with the pain most divorces entail. Cynthia was understandably very sad and disappointed at the time. Nobody's business anyway.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 03/06/2013 02:05
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
Depends how awful the thign they did is.

This is pretty much how I feel too.

God bless you always!!! Smile Smile Smile

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 03/06/2013 16:24
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
How has Ted Nugent not been mentioned? Great guitar player but his statements are absurd. I'm not saying I hate him... but I want to take him and put him in a concentration camp..

Nugent barely registers on my artistic radar. That said, his political views are wacko. I'd be disgusted, but that would mean taking him seriously.
sheep21

Australia

• Posted: 03/07/2013 07:32
  • Post subject:
junodog4 wrote:
Nugent barely registers on my artistic radar. That said, his political views are wacko. I'd be disgusted, but that would mean taking him seriously.

Listen to this and tell me he's not registering on your radar

Link

• Posted: 03/07/2013 11:56
  • Post subject:
junodog4 wrote:

This.
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/07/2013 12:26
  • Post subject:
sheep21 wrote:
Listen to this and tell me he's not registering on your radar

Link

Thanks, now I know not to take him seriously either.
  • Visit poster's website
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 03/07/2013 15:53
  • Post subject:
When a guy like Gary Glitter ends up in jail for pedophilia, afterwards it is impossible for me to listen to the song "Do You Want to Touch Me" unaffected. Thankfully Gary Glitter's music is not that crucial to my listening habits.

Same thing with Woody Allen and his movie "Whatever Works". I would like to watch it without making reference to what the man did in his life but it just does not work. Art -at least when it uses words- is not THAT disjointed from the artist.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website