Album of the day (#815): The Velvet Underground And Nico

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Facetious

Pakistan
  • Posted: 02/10/2013 05:15
  • Post subject:
Grzywa wrote:
If I were to choose the weakest link, that would be There She Goes Again, still a good rock'n'roll piece, only not quite matching the high level of other tracks.

Run Run Run too maybe?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
lightmyway
Swimming into view

United States
  • Posted: 02/10/2013 05:54
  • Post subject:
Like this album, prefer Lou solo. A lot of people take issue with Nico's voice but I think she sounds cool.
  • Visit poster's website
useless
  • Posted: 02/10/2013 09:58
  • Post subject:
Grzywa wrote:
Who cares if it's avant-garde or not ? It's great music and a great work of art. Dirt, truth, lyricism, mystery, all that and much more. The highlights are Waiting for the Man, the real beginning of the album (Sunday Morning being a sort of perversely sweet invitation to this world) and Venus in Furs, although each track has its own story. If I were to choose the weakest link, that would be There She Goes Again, still a good rock'n'roll piece, only not quite matching the high level of other tracks.

Personally I think There She Goes Again is one of the strongest moments in the album! If I had to pick a weak track, that would be European Son, which I think that drags a little bit too much.
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark
  • Posted: 02/10/2013 12:55
  • Post subject:
Definitely a quality album, some songs are quite fascinating, but "European Son" is the main reason why I'll never label The Velvet Underground & Nico as a classic album. It punctures the balloon immediately, sadly enough, because the other 10 tracks are quite spotless, though I've never been sure about whether I like the "avant-garde guitar licks" or not.
Facetious

Pakistan
  • Posted: 02/10/2013 16:07
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
Definitely a quality album, some songs are quite fascinating, but "European Son" is the main reason why I'll never label The Velvet Underground & Nico as a classic album. It punctures the balloon immediately, sadly enough, because the other 10 tracks are quite spotless, though I've never been sure about whether I like the "avant-garde guitar licks" or not.

If European Son was a stand-alone it wouldn't be a highlight on VU&N (not sure though), but I understand how it works as an ending and I love it for that.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 02/10/2013 17:27
  • Post subject:

I agree, for the most part. I definitely have to be in the right mood to enjoy "European Son". I disagree, however, that it warrants taking away its classic album status. I think it's a fitting ending even if I don't especially care for it as a stand-alone track.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States
  • Posted: 02/10/2013 18:01
  • Post subject:

I'm going to agree with the people saying that one song shouldn't take away its classic status, but I think you're definitely right in bringing to attention how poor of an ending for the album it is. Stand-alone or in context of the album, it's a weak track.
JMan
  • Posted: 02/10/2013 18:19
  • Post subject:
I honestly thought I wouldn't like this album after I heard the first couple tracks. Then I heard "Venus in Furs," and the songs got better from there.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States
  • Posted: 02/10/2013 18:21
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
I honestly thought I wouldn't like this album after I heard the first couple tracks. Then I heard "Venus in Furs," and the songs got better from there.

HE'S BACK!!!! Very Happy Applause
Happymeal
  • Posted: 02/10/2013 18:38
  • Post subject:
To be honest, I never know any of the track names when listening to an album. I stick it in the CD player/hear it on the youtubes, then I forget any tracks except for a few standouts. Sunday Morning is probably the standout track on this album.