37%  [18]
They're both crap.
18%
 18%  [9]
Total Votes : 48

DarkSideOfTheComputer

• Posted: 02/26/2013 12:08
  • Post subject:
I never think its fair to cast a vote unless you've heard both parties entire catalogue and that's exactly what I'm going to do.
  • Visit poster's website
DarkSideOfTheComputer

• Posted: 02/26/2013 12:20
  • Post subject:
ButterThumbz wrote:
How many of Jackson's hits were written by him? Did he play any of the instruments? Prince, on the other hand, not only wrote all his own material but there are a few artists who's biggest hits were written by him. He was also able to release entire albums where he played every single instrument.

However, if we're talking king of pop then, sure, MJ can have that but look what it did to him.

Nearly all of MJs hits were written by him. Do some research.
  • Visit poster's website
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/26/2013 14:14
  • Post subject:
DarkSideOfTheComputer wrote:
Nearly all of MJs hits were written by him. Do some research.

He didn't record his own material until his 5th album. He only wrote 4 songs on his biggest selling album. Do your own research!

Here's some research for you. Prince produced, arranged, composed and played all 27 instruments on his first album. All songs were written by him with the exception of one which he co-wrote. In fact, the first time he included a song written by someone else was on Emancipation, his 19th album.
  • Visit poster's website
DarkSideOfTheComputer

• Posted: 02/26/2013 17:28
  • Post subject:
ButterThumbz wrote:
He didn't record his own material until his 5th album. He only wrote 4 songs on his biggest selling album. Do your own research!

Here's some research for you. Prince produced, arranged, composed and played all 27 instruments on his first album. All songs were written by him with the exception of one which he co-wrote. In fact, the first time he included a song written by someone else was on Emancipation, his 19th album.

I assume you mean Off the Wall. As you probably know Princes debut album came out just a year earlier and they were the same age so does it really matter that he wasnt writing his own songs prior to that? I think one big advantage MJ has over Prince is he made it big years before Prince did.
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2013 17:47
  • Post subject:
It is very characteristic in pop for songs to either be co-written or not written by the performing artist at all. What Prince has done is impressive and unusual. Credit to him.

I think one big advantage MJ has over Prince is he made it big years before Prince did.

So what?
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2013 18:09
  • Post subject:
I think one big advantage MJ has over Prince is he made it big years before Prince did.

not that it matters, but Thriller was released in 1982 and Purple Rain was released in 1984. 2 years isn't a lot. MJ also had a decade's headstart on prince if you count the jackson 5.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/26/2013 18:23
  • Post subject:
paladisiac wrote:
not that it matters, but Thriller was released in 1982 and Purple Rain was released in 1984. 2 years isn't a lot. MJ also had a decade's headstart on prince if you count the jackson 5.

Michael Jackson was groomed for the popstar life, whereas Prince carved his own lane and did it without significant backing. Both were clearly very driven, and I'm not trying to lessen what Jackson did (hell, I love Off The Wall, and Thriller and Bad and Dangerous to a lesser extent), but there's a huge difference. Also, whilst Purple Rain is my favourite Prince album, I personally believe Dirty Mind and 1999 are better albums than anything Jackson did, and they both arrived prior to Thriller. In terms of musical ability, Prince was lightyears ahead of Jackson, regardless of whose music you prefer. And whilst Jackson did undoubtedly have a hand in a lot of the songwriting, he was still helped along the way by experienced luminaries like Quincy Jones. Prince had a singular vision and wasn't offered that same level of help, making his songwriting achievements entirely more impressive than Jackson's. Imagine what sort of songs could've been borne out of collaborations between Prince and Quincy was he given the option. He wasn't. Look, I don't care who people prefer as both are truly great artists - although I will state that the poll question is a stupid one, and a simple "Who do you prefer?" or "Who do you think is better?" would have sufficed and even been more effective in guaging users' opinions - but those arguing that Jackson's feats are more impressive or his talent superior need their heads checked.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2013 18:27
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Michael Jackson was groomed for the popstar life, whereas Prince carved his own lane and did it without significant backing. Both were clearly very driven, and I'm not trying to lessen what Jackson did (hell, I love Off The Wall, and Thriller and Bad and Dangerous to a lesser extent), but there's a huge difference. Also, whilst Purple Rain is my favourite Prince album, I personally believe Dirty Mind and 1999 are better albums than anything Jackson did, and they both arrived prior to Thriller. In terms of musical ability, Prince was lightyears ahead of Jackson, regardless of whose music you prefer. And whilst Jackson did undoubtedly have a hand in a lot of the songwriting, he was still helped along the way by experienced luminaries like Quincy Jones. Prince had a singular vision and wasn't offered that same level of help, making his songwriting achievements entirely more impressive than Jackson's. Imagine what sort of songs could've been borne out of collaborations between Prince and Quincy was he given the option. He wasn't. Look, I don't care who people prefer as both are truly great artists - although I will state that the poll question is a stupid one, and a simple "Who do you prefer?" or "Who do you think is better?" would have sufficed and even been more effective in guaging users' opinions - but those arguing that Jackson's feats are more impressive or his talent superior need their heads checked.

This is pretty off topic, but during high school I was in a math tutoring class with Quincy Jones's daughter and now she's my friend on Facebook and she's hot as fuck Drool
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/26/2013 19:07
  • Post subject:
I assume you mean Off the Wall. As you probably know Princes debut album came out just a year earlier and they were the same age so does it really matter that he wasnt writing his own songs prior to that? I think one big advantage MJ has over Prince is he made it big years before Prince did.

What does them being the same age or who made it big first have to do with anything? I was simply pointing out that maybe you should do some research before accusing others of not doing it.
  • Visit poster's website
HugoHeinen

Netherlands

• Posted: 03/14/2013 19:34
  • Post subject:
I'm a Michael Jackson-fan so I'll vote for him, of course. He had far more talent than Prince, even at the age of 9. Michael made two classic albums in the 80's (Thriller and Bad), but as far as I can see, Prince made none. MJ remained a great artist during the 90's and 00's too. The only true King of Pop.
  • Visit poster's website