Boston Marathon Explosion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Wombi

• Posted: 04/18/2013 09:58
  • Post subject:
useless wrote:

While trying to make such a thing as a comparison between bombing incidents is horrible,

Yes I agree with this, tragedies shouldn't be measured against each other. But i think you can make a comparison between the media coverage. In Australia alone i haven't been able to not hear radio broadcasts and see news reports about the marathon bombing, constantly for the last 3 days - and in terms of proximity we're 2 times closer to Iraq than America. I stumbled across a facebook post that mentioned the Iraq bombing. and the excuse 'we're just used to it happening in the middle east' isn't good enough - which i think is the reasoning media outlets would have for not talking about it.
Wombi

• Posted: 04/18/2013 09:59
  • Post subject:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne...-live.html

up to 70 killed in fertilizer plant explosion in Texas. happened a few hours ago.

edit; video of explosion

Link
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/18/2013 10:28
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:

up to 70 killed in fertilizer plant explosion in Texas. happened a few hours ago.

edit; video of explosion

Link

Just saw this, very tragic accident.

• Visit poster's website
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/18/2013 10:35
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:

edit; video of explosion

Link

Fuck that was huge.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 04/18/2013 10:38
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:

edit; video of explosion

Link

Damn.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 04/18/2013 12:44
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Yes I agree with this, tragedies shouldn't be measured against each other. But i think you can make a comparison between the media coverage. In Australia alone i haven't been able to not hear radio broadcasts and see news reports about the marathon bombing, constantly for the last 3 days - and in terms of proximity we're 2 times closer to Iraq than America. I stumbled across a facebook post that mentioned the Iraq bombing. and the excuse 'we're just used to it happening in the middle east' isn't good enough - which i think is the reasoning media outlets would have for not talking about it.

Well the reason for the coverage being like that is probably fairly simple - US media outlets will naturally give most of their attention to what's going on in their country, and they're influental enough that media in other countries will report the same. It's funny though, I see a lot of complaints about that in the comment sections in Slovenian media, but when there's news about the events in the rest of the world, only people commenting are those who'll blame it on the USA or say that "if this happened in USA, it would get more attention"... So, I don't know who's the one obsessed with Americans...

Anyway, it does seem like a lot of tragic stuff has been happening these days, all around the world. If there's a silver lining in the Boston bombing is that the death toll could easily be a lot higher, considering the event (same would go for the 7.5 Iran earthquake - luckily it happened in a relatively unpopulated area). Hope the Texas death toll doesn't go higher either and that 70 was an exaggarated number. That video is crazy, if I were in that car I'd shit myself.

About Iraq bombings (and there have been several of them, not just what happened on monday, all related to the upcoming elections and killing politicians who are in the running), the saddest part is that it reflects the state the country's in - you can say "it's middle east, we're used of it", but that is exactly the fucked up thing about it. The US troops might be gone, but the country's a bigger mess than it was before.. (Maybe that's why some US media isn't too keen on reporting this stuff, I dunno...)
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/18/2013 16:04
  • Post subject:
What gets coverage in the news depends on what the people who consume the news care about, so it's not exactly the news providers fault but the people who are watching/reading it. I think if we're being honest here all of us are going to pay more attention to two people being killed in Boston than we are to scores being Killed in Iraq. It doesn't speak for how much importance we place on the lives of the people who have died, more to do with how each event affects our own lives and how well acclimatised to these type of events we are.
useless

• Posted: 04/18/2013 16:15
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:

That's exactly the point I agreed to in my previous post and I think that the reason why the Boston bomb incident received more excessive coverage is that it feels "closer to home", in other words, the Western world media focus their interest towards events that could be possible threats for the countries the West represents, which is reasonable but also very restrictive and unfair most of the times.
Evandar

• Posted: 04/18/2013 17:25
  • Post subject:
I'm sad to hear about the bomb in Boston, I would absolutely hate going through something like that. It seems noone here has been directly affected by the attack, which is a relief. Don't these loners/terrorist groups/lunatics understand that nothing ever good comes from killing other people? It's not as if they can reference previous good outcomes. It's just baffling just to what extent someone can lash out.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 04/19/2013 06:44
  • Post subject:
More violence in Watertown, MA. Several people are speculating a link to the Boston Marathon bombing.

EDIT: Apparently during the firefight, one of the suspects of the Boston Marathon bombing (those two dudes in heavy jackets, black and white caps, and backpacks whose pictures have been all over reddit and 4chan) was killed (black cap). White cap guy is on the run.