How many albums have you listened to?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: How many albums have you listened to?
1 - 100
1%
 1%  [1]
101 - 500
31%
 31%  [18]
501 - 1000
21%
 21%  [12]
1001 - 2000
14%
 14%  [8]
2001 - 5000
17%
 17%  [10]
5001 - 10 000
7%
 7%  [4]
10 001 +
7%
 7%  [4]
Total Votes : 57

Dingerbell

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 05/14/2013 17:45
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
It's certainly possible to listen to 10,000 albums in your life. if someone listens to 10 unique albums per day, that's 3,650 albums per year. But the thing is, eventually you'll get to a point where there's less and less unique albums that you want to listen to. If you start with the best, then eventually you're just listening to 10 hours of bland music a day for no reason.

How many albums exist that are worth listening to? I imagine that number is closer to 1,000 - 3,000 if being generous. So, if you listen to 10,000 albums, you subject yourself to 7,000 albums that really aren't even worth hearing. That's a lot of time.

I am aware of that, and I never said that I would deliberately try and listen too as many albums as I can, but I do want to find as many albums that I like as possible, which will require listening to quite a bit of music to find the hidden gems.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France
  • Posted: 05/14/2013 17:46
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
How many albums exist that are worth listening to? I imagine that number is closer to 1,000 - 3,000 if being generous. So, if you listen to 10,000 albums, you subject yourself to 7,000 albums that really aren't even worth hearing. That's a lot of time.

Oh wow. Is listening to music that sad? Is there really no hope?
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 05/14/2013 17:50
  • Post subject:
Well, I own just under 5,000 albums (not counting compilations which account for another 500 - 600 I guess) & at some point I've listened to them all. Music sessions round @ friends houses (in my younger days) which were known to extend to a whole weekend up the tally a lot. Probably not quite 10,000 but edging towards that number I'd guess. You have to also remember that I'm ancient, buying my 1st album in 1965 so I have had a really big head start on many others on this site.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada
  • Posted: 05/14/2013 17:53
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
It's certainly possible to listen to 10,000 albums in your life. if someone listens to 10 unique albums per day, that's 3,650 albums per year. But the thing is, eventually you'll get to a point where there's less and less unique albums that you want to listen to. If you start with the best, then eventually you're just listening to 10 hours of bland music a day for no reason.

Holy hell is this serious? 1000 albums worth listening to in the entire world you gotta be shitting me

I'm one of those people who "started with the best" and worked my way to less known stuff and I couldn't be happier. I'm sure in a year ill have listened to plenty of new great albums that i haven't even heard of yet and that's just a great thing for me

But ya I mean we should just all listen to the Beatles and radiohead and quit while we're ahead right
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 05/14/2013 18:02
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
Holy hell is this serious? 1000 albums worth listening to in the entire world you gotta be shitting me

I'm one of those people who "started with the best" and worked my way to less known stuff and I couldn't be happier. I'm sure in a year ill have listened to plenty of new great albums that i haven't even heard of yet and that's just a great thing for me

But ya I mean we should just all listen to the Beatles and radiohead and quit while we're ahead right

That 1,000 number was a real low ball number, based around the idea of albums you you'd truly love. Surely there's many more worth hearing for the sake of adventure.

I'm just looking at it in a really mathematical way based on the law of diminishing returns. Eventually you're gonna reach a point when the percentage of great albums you're hearing gets lower and lower because you've already listened to so many.

Plus, if you have say 2,000 albums you love, wouldn't you want to return to them and listen semi-regularly. Well that's a lot of time you'll lose towards discovering new music.

I've probably listened to somewhere around 5,000 albums. maybe more, maybe less. I'm 30, and i've been listening at a pretty constant rate for a long time.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada
  • Posted: 05/14/2013 18:26
  • Post subject:
Ya I agree you'd definitely keep listening to older favorites, and as that number increases time would inevitably hinder your ability to listen to a high number of new albums. But at the same time I still love discovering new things whenever I can.

I will say though that I've narrowed the kinds of new albums that ill listen to in full, for the most part, to ones that i think I'll enjoy. There are "classic" albums that I haven't heard and maybe never will just based on the songs I've heard and my low interest level.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 05/14/2013 19:12
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
Ya I agree you'd definitely keep listening to older favorites, and as that number increases time would inevitably hinder your ability to listen to a high number of new albums. But at the same time I still love discovering new things whenever I can.

I will say though that I've narrowed the kinds of new albums that ill listen to in full, for the most part, to ones that i think I'll enjoy. There are "classic" albums that I haven't heard and maybe never will just based on the songs I've heard and my low interest level.

Right. I'd never say there's a limit to how many albums someone should listen to or anything like that.

I guess I was just emphasizing the beauty of pacing, and savoring records. And as someone who has Spirit Of Eden on their 80s chart, I'm sure you definitely understand the way an album reveals itself over multiple listens.

I'd much rather listen to 500 good records 20 times than 10,000 records once.
  • Visit poster's website
attraction-gear

Bermuda
  • Posted: 05/15/2013 11:57
  • Post subject:
I can safely say 50,000+, NO JOKE, man:) Razz Razz Very Happy
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 05/15/2013 12:11
  • Post subject:
attraction-gear wrote:
I can safely say 50,000+, NO JOKE, man:) Razz Razz Very Happy

Keep doin' what your doin' gear.
attraction-gear

Bermuda
  • Posted: 05/15/2013 15:12
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

Keep doin' what your doin' gear.

Shocked Twisted Evil That includes those little weird plastic thingies that aren't around anymore (thank my GODS!!Smile) called "compact cassettes" of course:)Smile Wink Wink