• Posted: 06/11/2013 00:39
  • Post subject:
Kings of Leon are generic as fuck.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 06/11/2013 00:57
  • Post subject:
I do use the term generic when describing certain music, so I feel alluded. I in no way listen to the music I listen to in order to create an image or other such nonsense - I listen to what I listen because I enjoy it. Some other people don't like what I like, and some do. I don't believe I'm more intelligent or more hip or a better person or any other such thing because of something as personal as musical tastes.

I use the word generic to describe music (or art, or anything at all) which falls into predictability, which doesn't surprise me, which I can know exactly what I'm getting because it's been done before. I totally agree originality is not a requirement to make good music (because there's no such thing as good or bad music, only perception of it), but I personally enjoy listening to music which surprises me or which at differentiates itself from the rest.

Take Foxygen, for example. I find their music to be pleasant enough, but their style of music has been done to death for the last four decades, and they bring next-to-nothing new to the genre. Whenever I listen to them I find them pleasant, but I feel I've already listened to it, and there's nothing to keep me listening - I already know what they're gonna do. It's like watching one of those romantic comedies which are all pretty much the same. They all are very similar, rely on the same points, similar plots and twists. There comes a point in which you don't want to watch another one, because you know exactly what's gonna happen. It's not really about generic music being bad for me, but about generic music being boring for me.

However, this is purely subjective, like DLGGLD said. If one has never listened to any kind of rock, Foxygen will seem like an amazing band, and be completely interested. Also, it depends on your personal tastes.

Once again, this is my opinion about music, I'm not trying to state facts, just my view on how I enjoy music. I don't like, however, and if that was your intention, an_outlaw, to be called a hypocrite, and to pretend to like what I like to seem cool. Couldn't it just be your tastes are different from some people's tastes? Couldn't it just be that, instead of having to assume everyone else is lying?
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 06/11/2013 00:59
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
You may feel that way, but once again, that's an instinct, and has no facts to back it up. It's ok to feel that way, I'm not going to tell you to change the way you feel, but you have to realize that there is no reason for it to be true. In the very next line you say There ARE people posing, there ARE snobs, there people pretending. You say it as if its an undeniable fact that its true, but this isn't the case, as you have even stated that its just an instinct and belief you have.

You argue like a professional Frogger. All this logic and not letting yourself get caught up in the moment. The fact you don't resort to personal attacks is good too.

However... it has to be true. I'll drive myself to ruin holding onto that belief. Music is one of the greatest things I have. Ever since I discovered music, music has been there for me. I can't bare the thought that others are trivializing it. I can't bare to think their attitudes are only going to influence more people to think the same in future. I know something is wrong. I want to know people like me are out there.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 06/11/2013 01:01
  • Post subject:
I think is use the word generic to describe an album/band that is just mediocre rather than anything else. And album that I listen to and it just doesn't give me any sort of emotional reaction. *cough vampire weekend *cough

Also can someone tell me bands that Mumford and sons or alt j sound identical to?
  • Visit poster's website
kramerfan86

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2013 01:10
  • Post subject:
Its not my personal way of taking in music, but I dont see why its any less legitimate to like and dislike based on originality than it is to like and dislike on other qualities.
ColumnatedRuins

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2013 01:11
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
To Comulated and Frogger, while I don't believe in goblins, dragons or unicorns I can't help but believe there are such people as I have described. I just feel it. Something isn't right. There are people posing, there are snobs, there people pretending. I will sooner drop dead than live like them. I will throw my body running to the point of exhaustion to better music. I will happily give my privacy. No words, nettles, nets or sharp blows can pry me from my ideas. I see stars with my music while some simply look to others for gratification.

I have nothing to give you both. As mad as it sounds.

This is a good answer. I would also like to make it clear that I bear no ill will toward you, an_outlaw. You put great thought into your opinions and are obviously passionate about music, and I can't ask any more of anyone here than that.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2013 01:11
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
I think is use the word generic to describe an album/band that is just mediocre rather than anything else. And album that I listen to and it just doesn't give me any sort of emotional reaction. *cough vampire weekend *cough

Also can someone tell me bands that Mumford and sons or alt j sound identical to?

With Mumford I think it's more that there's a slew of bands that sound like them (Lumineers, Civil Wars, Shovels & Rope). But they also sound like a lot of american blues grass bands filled with extra pep. I just find them to be the equivalent to a civil war reenactment. it's nice to visit the past and all, but it adds nothing to relate to. They're a british "folk" band singing about the dust bowl? why? it gives me nothing to relate to or attach myself to emotionally.
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 06/11/2013 01:18
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
alt j

Alt-J sounds identical to In Rainbows to me.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2013 01:23
  • Post subject:
There are record labels and bands with no respect for us as listeners. They want to sell us a fabricated product without a heart or soul and call it music. I find that revolting. Those bands are truly generic and offer little to no value to anyone who listens. I will not be fooled by their product.

The key word is product. some create music as an act of artistic expression. others create art as a product. Many great musicians exhaust their creative expression and eventually just feel obligation to release new music, even when they've got nothing to say. Let's not fool ourselves and believe that these people think they're offering us anything aside from a placebo.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 06/11/2013 01:29
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
There are record labels and bands with no respect for us as listeners. They want to sell us a fabricated product without a heart or soul and call it music. I find that revolting. Those bands are truly generic and offer little to no value to anyone who listens. I will not be fooled by their product.

The key word is product. some create music as an act of artistic expression. others create art as a product. Many great musicians exhaust their creative expression and eventually just feel obligation to release new music, even when they've got nothing to say. Let's not fool ourselves and believe that these people think they're offering us anything aside from a placebo.

Well this could get ugly.

Also I don't really consider Mumford or alt j generic but then again I like both bands so whatevs
  • Visit poster's website