Movie Recommendation Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Posted: 10/10/2013 21:10
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
BTW seeing as we obviously have at least a couple of horror experts on this board, I will take this opportunity to ask you guys for what I've been looking for a while now. I'm in need of a good psychological horror, or a movie that mostly builds the horror on the atmosphere, rather than on gore or jump-scares. Audition is a good example of that, as are the likes of Repulsion, Janghwa, Hongryeon, maybe even Jacob's Ladder.

Would appreciate any suggestions : )

This is a bit bizarre seeing as it's not a movie I enjoyed, but I'd recommend Session 9 based on the criteria you set out.
meezus
  • Posted: 10/10/2013 21:13
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
BTW seeing as we obviously have at least a couple of horror experts on this board, I will take this opportunity to ask you guys for what I've been looking for a while now. I'm in need of a good psychological horror, or a movie that mostly builds the horror on the atmosphere, rather than on gore or jump-scares. Audition is a good example of that, as are the likes of Repulsion, Janghwa, Hongryeon, maybe even Jacob's Ladder.

Ooh, I love Repulsion. Have you seen The Tenant? The ones I suggested for sp4cetiger would mostly fit in with what you're asking for. Kill List is super atmospheric, though it does have some gore (but in the same way that Audition does). Definitely Funny Games -- there's no gore in that whatsoever, but it's actually one of the grossest movies I've ever seen, just because of how much it gets under your skin. Eden Lake is awesome, but I guess that has gore. It's not really a cheap, cue-the-music, "jump scares" sort of movie, though. It's disturbing in deeper ways. Hm... Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, maybe? Eyes Without A Face. The Fly is great... David Cronenberg's stuff might appeal to you. David Lynch, too. I don't know which of these you've already seen, of course, but I'll try to keep thinking of more...
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France
  • Posted: 10/10/2013 21:27
  • Post subject:
meezus wrote:

Diabolique (1955) - Awesome French horror/thriller.

It's a good movie (although not Clouzot's best by a country mile), but it's definitely not horror, except for maybe a sequence - no, forget that, not even that one sequence. It's not even a thriller.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France
  • Posted: 10/10/2013 21:29
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
I'm in need of a good psychological horror, or a movie that mostly builds the horror on the atmosphere, rather than on gore or jump-scares.

Psycho
The Shining
Les Diaboliques
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger
  • Posted: 10/10/2013 21:29
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:

The ones I recommended to meccalecca are very atmospheric, but may be more surreal than you're looking for. The Wicker Man (1973) is one of my favorite horror mindfucks that doesn't get too dreamy. Others that come to mind: Long Weekend (1978), The Dead Zone (1983), and Duel (1971). I also agree with the Cronenberg suggestion, though be warned that he also makes frequent use of gore and disturbing imagery, if that bothers you.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia
  • Posted: 10/10/2013 21:35
  • Post subject:
@megan, Yeah The Tenant is great, I love all of Polanski's "apartment trilogy". I do need to see this one again though, cause a few things went over my head the first time. It is pretty much the perfect kind of movie for me though.

As for the rest, I actually haven't seen any, Funny Games is one that I've been meaning to see, and I should just in general get into Almodovar more, if this one is what I'm looking for, then all the more reason. Same goes for Cronenberg, I'm not sure I saw any of his movies. Lynch on the other hand has made some of my favourite movies (or TV episodes with Twin Peaks), but also a few that I'm not too sure about, in particular I mean Eraserhead and Inland Empire here. Should rewatch though...

Anyway, this is more than enough for now, thank you very much Very Happy

@Norman, haven't seen Les Diaboliques, both Psycho and especially The Shining are great.

@sp4cetiger, I actually can't believe I haven't seen The Wicker Man yet, it's been on my watchlist forever. Will put all the others there as well.

Just a note, I'm not really bothered by gore or disturbing imagery, but I much prefer horrors that don't use that as their base for the scarier moments. I mean, after all, Audition is one of my faves Wink
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States
  • Posted: 10/10/2013 21:40
  • Post subject:
I'm nowhere near a horror expert. I usually find the genre to be kinda dumb, but there are some great exceptions. Rosemary's Baby is one of my all time favorite films.
karbutt

United States
  • Posted: 10/11/2013 00:06
  • Post subject:
karbutt wrote:
    A Town Called Panic
    The Planet of the Apes
    Alien
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    500 Days of Summer
    Funky Forest
    The Fly
    The Wrath of Khan

more when i can think of them...

The Wolf Man (1941)!!! i really dig older movies.
    and then pretty much any Phantom of the Opera.
    Fight Club

i'm not a movie buff, in fact my taste probably sucks, but these are movies i could watch over and over again.
nutso42
  • Posted: 10/11/2013 00:08
  • Post subject:
Favorite English Language Films:

City Lights
12 Angry Men
Rear Window
Arsenic and Old Lace
Inception
Harvey
The Fountain
Vertigo

Favorite Non-English Films:

Metropolis
La Vita e Bella (Life Is Beautiful)
Ikiru (To Live)
M
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
The Apu Trilogy
Yojimbo
Jodái-e Náder az Simin (A Separation)
sp4cetiger
  • Posted: 10/11/2013 02:03
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:

Just a note, I'm not really bothered by gore or disturbing imagery, but I much prefer horrors that don't use that as their base for the scarier moments. I mean, after all, Audition is one of my faves Wink

Yeah, I figured probably not, but just wanted to leave that note, since "The Fly" made my stomach turn at times. Very good film, but nauseating. Audition is actually a bit later than we got in our movie watching, so I haven't seen it yet. I'll make sure it gets included, though.