Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2014 22:03
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
how about a gay and a lesbian couple just show up and hold hands, look on lovingly? Postive, not picketing, but sends a message

Psudo Return of the Jedi ending? I can get on board with this.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 03/20/2014 22:13
  • Post subject:
Imo you lose the right to condemn someone when you do the exact same thing you're condemning them for; better point would be made in drawing a contrast between his appalling behaviour towards others, with how people should be treated, by decent people. Give him the normal dignified type of funeral he denied to others and make it absolutely clear (I mean it is already, but you know) who the good guys and who the bad guys are.

Anyway, I don't necessarily think his impact on this world has been a bad one. He's an easily hateable caricature of socially conservative america who repulsed almost everybody and did much more damage for his cause than good.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada
  • Posted: 03/20/2014 22:17
  • Post subject:
There was a reported who lived with the WBC for a while and wrote an expose on them, and he said they were really lovely people for the most part.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia
  • Posted: 03/20/2014 22:26
  • Post subject:
A grieving family is a grieving family yo.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada
  • Posted: 03/20/2014 22:31
  • Post subject:
Ahh, here we go, this doco is great. Fred Phelps' daughter is actually such a sweetheart despite being such a bigot. Sad

Link

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac
  • Posted: 03/20/2014 22:47
  • Post subject:
just came by to drop off the colorfully titled Fred Phelps Just Died - Fuck That Guy, which goes into how he became estranged from, well, I'll quote them at length to give you a taste for the article:

Quote:
Excommunicated from his church and emotionally exiled from 99.9 percent of the human race, Fred Phelps died as alone as it is possible for a man to be. Pity him for his grim, motiveless anger, but let’s at least remember him as he would have wanted us to: as a psychotic, sadistic life-wrecker and overall bad egg. He certainly didn’t want your pity, as the following catalogue of ugh will show.

There are some interesting biographical details outside of his church involvement and despite the sensationalist tone of the article, there are reservedly positive moments, as when they credit him with moving forward civil rights in courts of law (though they accuse him of being in it just for the money) and when they implore those who read the article not to "cheer his demise."
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 03/21/2014 00:22
  • Post subject:
A death is a death, and no matter how bad the person, they deserve a funeral. I agree with all the positive statements, it'd be a much greater gesture to just show respect to a funeral and divide the good from the bad than to picket a funeral, which granted is nothing in comparison to his awful bigotry, but it's not exactly in any sense a pleasant thing to do. Let him have his funeral, pity him all you like, protest against the WBC, but I hope nobody interferes with a send-off which every human has a right to. Despite how much of a cunt you were, you deserve to have that final constitutional (or not so) right.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada
  • Posted: 03/21/2014 01:25
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:
It'll probably shrink. Not that it's a big thing as it is anyhow.

His kids have been the driving force behind it for a couple of years now. Even if they did fizzle out, some other group would take up the cause. Sadly, this kind of bigotry will always simmer below the surface in society.
Happymeal
  • Posted: 03/21/2014 01:28
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
A death is a death, and no matter how bad the person, they deserve a funeral. I agree with all the positive statements, it'd be a much greater gesture to just show respect to a funeral and divide the good from the bad than to picket a funeral, which granted is nothing in comparison to his awful bigotry, but it's not exactly in any sense a pleasant thing to do. Let him have his funeral, pity him all you like, protest against the WBC, but I hope nobody interferes with a send-off which every human has a right to. Despite how much of a cunt you were, you deserve to have that final constitutional (or not so) right.

I think you forgot one additional detail when you made this particular statement; he's no longer a human, he's a corpse. After someone dies, there is literally nothing left but a body. Your brain is what makes the person which is no longer functional once your dead (one could argue that in Fred Phelps' case it was never functional). The simple fact is that what's left of him isn't human. The funeral itself, while being about him, won't affect him as he's no longer around. However, I'll admit my previous statement was misguided (I was wrong). While I don't like the guy, I'd rather not see a huge funeral crashing in result of it (for various reasons. Mainly because it'll frame any reasonable person as monstrous because a large amount of people take the morally high ground). I think it's more or less a time to celebrate rather than causing more grief. Actually, the joke previously made about the same gender couples walking into the funeral has far more elegance to it.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 03/21/2014 01:33
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I think you forgot one additional detail when you made this particular statement; he's no longer a human, he's a corpse. After someone dies, there is literally nothing left but a body. Your brain is what makes the person which is no longer functional once your dead (one could argue that in Fred Phelps' case it was never functional). The simple fact is that what's left of him isn't human. The funeral itself, while being about him, won't affect him as he's no longer around. However, I'll admit my previous statement was misguided (I was wrong). While I don't like the guy, I'd rather not see a huge funeral crashing in result of it (for various reasons. Mainly because it'll frame any reasonable person as monstrous because a large amount of people take the morally high ground). I think it's more or less a time to celebrate rather than causing more grief. Actually, the joke previously made about the same gender couples walking into the funeral has far more elegance to it.

I understand that he is not functional during a funeral, but that makes no difference. It is a last mark on the world, the last thing that your body goes through before having to reside as a corpse/ashes, and though he will not see what will happen at his funeral, his family will, and as will any other people who respect him. This is his send-off, and I think it is important that everyone should have a fair send-off before they are buried or their ashes are scattered. It is a last goodbye. For people to trash this in any way would be unfair to anyone wanting to have this last goodbye with him, and nobody should have this taken away from them. I understand he is not there to experience what happens at his funeral, which is more reason to just leave it alone. Creating a scene would just make his family & followers more angry.