Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 05/07/2014 18:11
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Complex music doesn't get into my heart.

You took your name from an elbow song. Of course complex music gets into your heart. It may just be things you don't perceive as complex. Elbow is creating some of the most complex rock music you'll hear. It's just not created to sound complex
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki
  • Posted: 05/07/2014 18:13
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
You took your name from an elbow song. Of course complex music gets into your heart. It may just be things you don't perceive as complex. Elbow is creating some of the most complex rock music you'll hear. It's just not created to sound complex

You're denying Puncture Repair his identity of being a non lover of the complex musics! Shocked You can't do that!
Happymeal
  • Posted: 05/07/2014 19:01
  • Post subject:
Describing music can be difficult, but I tend to think I've come to terms with why I listen to the music I do and what makes it so good. What makes bad music the way it sounds to me is also fairly easy for me to comprehend, but I could never use the word pretentious. I don't get how it has any meaning regarding art. Someone attempts to do something or say something outside of their range of intelligence and they're hated for that? Perhaps they do show pride in the ignorance they might uphold, but at least they attempted to do something they might not have the necessary skills to achieve. Even if something is a failure in result of not being intelligent or skilled enough, failure can show you new ways to succeed. Using that logic, it's really difficult for pretension to come to me when looking at music. However, I feel pretension may have lost that meaning to a lot of people a while ago. When I hear pretension and certain albums in a sentence, it feels more similar to saying that x album bored me because it was overly caught up in attempting to achieve something that I didn't feel necessary. Perhaps that's more accurate? Bland is also another difficult word for me to use mainly because I listen to a lot of acclaimed music that sounds bland in comparison to its genre as a whole. A lot of the words used around here for criticisms of certain music have really become boring to hear. It'd be nice to hear something different said about music more often.

P.S. That doesn't mean it'd be incorrect to speak about music the way you want to and have been, these are just a few personal qualms I have when listening and reading what people have to say about certain music.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 05/07/2014 19:06
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
You're denying Puncture Repair his identity of being a non lover of the complex musics! Shocked You can't do that!

Outlaw, are you trying to deny my identity as a voice of logic and reason?
  • Visit poster's website
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada
  • Posted: 05/07/2014 20:02
  • Post subject:
I really like both sides of the spectrum when it come to music. I really like challenging music dominated by "intelligent" or at least "high brow" listeners like noise, experimental, avant grade ect... But I also really love "meat head" music like southern hip hop songs that read like asset reports and power violence and stuff...

I have always been a "extremes" kind of guy

But at the ""end"" of the """"day"""" I don't "think" it """""matters""""*

Quote unquote

""

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 05/07/2014 21:21
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:

Hm, I've always thought of Elbow as fairly simple pop. 'The Bones of You' riff is only two chords, Mirrorball's riff is just three repeated notes and 'Lippy Kids' rides on a repeated D note. But also the point you make: it's not created to sound complex - helps a great deal; Guy Garvey's brings a real dose of 'down-to-earth' with his lyrics and delivery. Where they might be complex (The Birds is a complex song I suppose), the complexity isn't the appeal.

That might actually be why I didn't like their latest release.

an_outlaw wrote:

You learn a lot more about yourself when someone questions your identity and you try to find the answers.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 05/07/2014 21:37
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
That might actually be why I didn't like their latest release.

I don't really love the new one either.
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain
  • Posted: 05/07/2014 21:41
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
But we're all wired differently, and I think it's great that what I might consider 'pretentious', derogatory or not, can still be enjoyed by millions that aren't me.

Totally agree Smile

I also think that Elbow makes complex music. They may have simple chord progressions but a band who makes 4-6 minute songs, many with different structure and rythms and instruments which include trumpet or violin may seem complex, maybe even pretentious? Twisted Evil Those last words were just to pick on you, I also think like Happymeal, that we should move on from the disscussion of that adjective and disscuss something new; for example it would be nice for you to specify on what you said on your post (Happymeal) and see your opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 05/08/2014 00:13
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
A good criticism does not insult the artist or his body of work.

Then there is the whole point that pretentiousness as a sound shouldn't be a thing ever. But I don't know, I obviously have a very emotional stance on the word in general.

I think, in my opinion at least, pretentious referring to a person is insulting and unproductive, but I understand describing a work or a full breadth of work as pretentious, as sometimes that's the case, even from people I don't think are pretentious. If that makes any sense.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France
  • Posted: 05/08/2014 03:01
  • Post subject:
#addingmytwocents, the word "pretentious" does not necessarily imply intelligence. I mean, being pretentious is silly, but it doesn't always mean "thinking we are more intelligent than we really are". A mediocre guitarist trying to boast his skills for a hour-long solo is pretentious, but that doesn't tell anything about his intelligence. I think these two things should be separated.

Just trying to defend the use of pretentious, because I do like to use it once in a while. So I disagree with Gowi's definition : it does not insult the intelligence of the artist (or at least, not necessarily), but in most cases, his talent. Which is fine, right? Like, saying a rapper's flow is shit or some guy's songwriting is awful is something we often do. It just means that in our opinion, the artist is trying to show off something in a way or another, but that whatever they are trying to show, it's not as good as they think it is.
  • Visit poster's website