Jack White
50%
 50%  [28]
Total Votes : 55

sp4cetiger
  • Posted: 08/19/2014 23:48
  • Post subject:
Silver wrote:
I find Drake songs a hell of a lot harder than White songs to play, especially singing along to them like he did in such a peaceful, non-rushed manner.

There's a big difference between playing what White plays and playing like he plays. But yeah, obviously this is a matter of opinion.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2014 12:07
  • Post subject:
Nick Drake a better guitarist than Jack White?

Interesting.... Shocked
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan
  • Posted: 08/20/2014 13:01
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Nick Drake a better guitarist than Jack White?

Interesting.... Shocked

Romanelli, you're a guitarist, right? I'd love to read your critiques from an actual guitarist's vantage point. I know nothing about playing so I'll probably just sit on the sidelines for this tourney, but I'd love to read people actually dissecting the different playing styles.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 08/20/2014 13:08
  • Post subject:
I think the thing is, even in something that seems as technical and specific as guitar playing, it's impossible to be completely objective. And I think that's fair. If a really technically skilled guitar player makes music you don't enjoy, why would you vote for them? Musical skill goes beyond complexity and speed, and the most important aspect is simply being enjoyable.

Otherwise, we'd just have a bunch of wankers like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani in the tournament
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2014 15:03
  • Post subject:
Pshh Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are fantastic.

As a guitarist, it's hard to compare two guitarists of different styles. I used to be in a jazz band with a guy who was a blues guitarist and people used to ask me "Who's better, you or him?" And I would always say that we were two very different guitarists. He played blues exclusively. I was much more into folk music at the time, complex chord formations and stuff. I still enjoyed just playing straight-forward rock, but we had two very different styles. It's hard to compare, because you can't use technical skill alone. Personally, I've always enjoyed White's playing more than Drake's, but that's not to say Drake isn't any good, he's great, just different.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif
  • Posted: 08/20/2014 15:16
  • Post subject:
All of what Mecca and Rocky said, essentially. I play guitar (admittedly not amazingly), and I appreciate that both Drake and White are brilliant guitarists. I'd probably find it more difficult to play the way Drake does than the way White does, but the fact is that I'll never be anywhere near as good as either. So it comes down to whose guitar playing I prefer listening to, and the answer is Drake's, by a long way. Does it mean I think Drake is a "better" guitarist? Perhaps subconsciously, but it's apples and oranges.
sp4cetiger
  • Posted: 08/20/2014 16:17
  • Post subject:
I'm also a guitarist and I would probably find it harder to play what Nick Drake plays (his style is miles away from my own), but to me this tournament is all about what I'm hearing. Here are my criteria, as best as I've been able to work them out so far:

1. Do I enjoy the music they make? (slight advantage White)
2. How much does the guitar playing contribute to the experience? (roughly even)
3. How unique do they sound to me? (advantage White)
4. How much variety is there in their playing across their discography? (big advantage White)

I may think of more as the tournament goes on, but these are all subjective criteria, so I'm not trying to put down anyone who chooses Drake here. I'm only saying that this is an easy decision for me.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 08/20/2014 16:21
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Here are my criteria, as best as I've been able to work them out so far:

2. How much does the guitar playing contribute to the experience? (roughly even)
4. How much variety is there in their playing across their discography? (big advantage White)

I'm looking at it all a similar way. There's no right way to judge who's better, just like albums, but I think this is a nice ay to break things down.

There's a reason I nominated the 3 guys I did (Fripp, Ribot, Denison), and it has a lot to do with what you're saying.
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42
  • Posted: 08/20/2014 17:08
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I play guitar ... find it more difficult to play the way Drake does than the way White does .... So it comes down to whose guitar playing I prefer listening to, and the answer is Drake's, by a long way.

Basically this. I've never spent more than ten minutes trying to learn a Jack White song, but Drake is forever beyond my grasp.

But again, doesn't necessarily mean one's better than the other. The fact that I enjoy Drake more makes me vote him.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2014 11:54
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I'm also a guitarist and I would probably find it harder to play what Nick Drake plays (his style is miles away from my own), but to me this tournament is all about what I'm hearing. Here are my criteria, as best as I've been able to work them out so far:

I may think of more as the tournament goes on, but these are all subjective criteria, so I'm not trying to put down anyone who chooses Drake here. I'm only saying that this is an easy decision for me.

Applause
  • Visit poster's website