mancsoulsister wrote:
Chemical Smile wrote:
all i know is that my GF's music tastes are aweful:

Electro (blaaerrrch!)
Lady Gaga
Rihanna
Britney Spears
and those radio stations that play that rap/dance/auto-tune bullshit

Who says that 'Lady Gaga' or 'Rihanna' is 'awful music'? Usually music critics who are for the most part male. Commercial music is designed to appeal to the broadest number of listeners possible so that it makes the maximum amount of money (that's why it is commercial #-o ). It does not claim to be anything other than throw away pop. I personally don't like 'Lady Gaga' or 'Rihanna's Music but then as a forty year old woman I am hardly the target market either! That would be teenage girls :)

On the subject of gender (and this is a gross generalisation but that seems to be what this thread is about), I think men are a lot more status driven than women. Men will often only admit to liking stuff that it is socially acceptable to like or somehow makes them look 'cool' and 'in the know' (and thus giving them the status that goes with being cool). Women will like something because it sounds good and makes them feel good regardless of who performs it and they are much less likely to be ashamed to admit it (even if it is something cringeworthy). Women are less influenced by critical acclaim and would be less likely to pick up an album 'just because it is xxx'. I also don't think women are as obsessed with guitars in quite the same way as men, which is probably why on the whole they are less into guitar driven music.

But this is all speculation and observation. Personally I think gender has nob all to do with what music you end up liking or your music taste. I think what you like has more to do with what you have been exposed to in your formative years and whether you actually take an interest in music.

It's gender conditioning, I tell you, gender conditioning!

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 12/01/2011 23:45
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
mancsoulsister wrote:
Chemical Smile wrote:
all i know is that my GF's music tastes are aweful:

Electro (blaaerrrch!)
Lady Gaga
Rihanna
Britney Spears
and those radio stations that play that rap/dance/auto-tune bullshit

Who says that 'Lady Gaga' or 'Rihanna' is 'awful music'? Usually music critics who are for the most part male. Commercial music is designed to appeal to the broadest number of listeners possible so that it makes the maximum amount of money (that's why it is commercial d'oh! ). It does not claim to be anything other than throw away pop. I personally don't like 'Lady Gaga' or 'Rihanna's Music but then as a forty year old woman I am hardly the target market either! That would be teenage girls Smile

On the subject of gender (and this is a gross generalisation but that seems to be what this thread is about), I think men are a lot more status driven than women. Men will often only admit to liking stuff that it is socially acceptable to like or somehow makes them look 'cool' and 'in the know' (and thus giving them the status that goes with being cool). Women will like something because it sounds good and makes them feel good regardless of who performs it and they are much less likely to be ashamed to admit it (even if it is something cringeworthy). Women are less influenced by critical acclaim and would be less likely to pick up an album 'just because it is xxx'. I also don't think women are as obsessed with guitars in quite the same way as men, which is probably why on the whole they are less into guitar driven music.

But this is all speculation and observation. Personally I think gender has nob all to do with what music you end up liking or your music taste. I think what you like has more to do with what you have been exposed to in your formative years and whether you actually take an interest in music.

You sound like a girl

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 12/02/2011 00:16
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:

So who is performing this gender conditioning? and when?
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada
  • Posted: 12/02/2011 00:49
  • Post subject:
mancsoulsister wrote:
Jackwc wrote:

It's social gender conditioning. It isn't really something people consciously do, either.

The reason so many young girls like pink for example - girls don't NATURALLY like pink. That just wouldn't make a lick of sense, no one NATURALLY likes anything. However, you have a baby girl, and what do most people do? They swaddle her in pink. Decorate her room in pink. They condition her from the beginning to like pink, she really has no say in the matter. Same goes with why little girls play with dolls - they never originally made the conscious decision to play with dolls, they are just GIVEN dolls because we ourselves have been conditioned to believe that this is what girls like. And this effects boys too - sports, the colour blue, repression of emotion - this as are all social constructs which we unintentionally condition our children to follow.

There's also racial conditioning, but that's a whole other matter that I won't get into just yet.

• Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 12/02/2011 01:08
  • Post subject:
mancsoulsister wrote:
Jackwc wrote:

I have seen studies where they treated a boy from birth like a girl and visa versa.

It's the old genetics vs. external influences debate.

• Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 12/02/2011 01:44
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
mancsoulsister wrote:
Jackwc wrote:

I have seen studies where they treated a boy from birth like a girl and visa versa.

Yeah I know... I am also not sure who Jack means with the 'they'. In my experience it is peer pressure that usually pushes kids into conforming and performing in a certain way (but that may be what he means). Boys who play with dolls and like pink, get pushed around and called 'sissy' by other boys at Kindergarten and in some cases completely ostracised. Girls who like rough and tumble sports and don't play with dolls are bitched at by the other girls and called 'tom boys' or are considered to be somehow 'rough'. Kids are far more brutal with each other than parents are with their children.

You can see the same sort of peer pressure here in some of the chart comments - 'says the boy who likes [insert name of supposed 'crap' band or genre}'

My own personal music taste was informed from a young age by my brother, and then by a mixed gender bunch of friends that i met along the way. I was interested enough in music to go out there and discover different bands and find what I liked. I don't think I am any different in that respect from most other people on here. I am sure that if I had no interest in music and only had friends who thought 'Culture Club' and 'Wham' were the ultimate then I would probably be rocking Lady Gaga and Beyonce now... I really don't think my gender had much to do with anything... I think my early influences and peers were far more influential than the oestrogen. So I guess I support the nurture theory then Smile
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada
  • Posted: 12/02/2011 01:56
  • Post subject:
mancsoulsister wrote:
GARY wrote:
mancsoulsister wrote:
Jackwc wrote:

Yeah I know... I am also not sure who Jack means with the 'they'.

The "they" can be anyone - your friends, your family, everyone you know, and everyone you don't know as well. It just refers to anyone who does the "nurturing", anyone who has any sort of effect on the subject that may shape them as a person.

• Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 12/02/2011 02:00
  • Post subject:
mancsoulsister wrote:
GARY wrote:
mancsoulsister wrote:
Jackwc wrote:

Yeah I know... I am also not sure who Jack means with the 'they'. In my experience it is peer pressure that usually pushes kids into conforming and performing in a certain way (but that may be what he means). Boys who play with dolls and like pink, get pushed around and called 'sissy' by other boys at Kindergarten and in some cases completely ostracised. Girls who like rough and tumble sports and don't play with dolls are bitched at by the other girls and called 'tom boys' or are considered to be somehow 'rough'. Kids are far more brutal with each other than parents are with their children.

You can see the same sort of peer pressure here in some of the chart comments - 'says the boy who likes [insert name of supposed 'crap' band or genre}'

My own personal music taste was informed from a young age by my brother, and then by a mixed gender bunch of friends that i met along the way. I was interested enough in music to go out there and discover different bands and find what I liked. I don't think I am any different in that respect from most other people on here. I am sure that if I had no interest in music and only had friends who thought 'Culture Club' and 'Wham' were the ultimate then I would probably be rocking Lady Gaga and Beyonce now... I really don't think my gender had much to do with anything... I think my early influences and peers were far more influential than the oestrogen. So I guess I support the nurture theory then Smile

It would be cool if your boyfriends music would influence you Laughing

• Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 12/02/2011 02:28
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:

Evil or Very Mad

I wouldn't be me if I was a metal head would I?
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 12/02/2011 03:02
  • Post subject:
mancsoulsister wrote:
GARY wrote:

Evil or Very Mad

I wouldn't be me if I was a metal head would I?

You gave me an evil face.

I was just jokin Sad

• Visit poster's website