Best Ever Actors and Actresses [LISTS]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
hereforashortime

United States
  • Posted: 02/10/2018 21:25
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Comic book movies? There's enough of them by now to make a Top 50, haha.

If we did this maybe we could include superhero movies not based on comic books so we can include the incredibles all the great non-comic based superhero movies that are out there.
AwaitingAndrew

United States
  • Posted: 02/10/2018 21:54
  • Post subject:
hereforashortime wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:

If we did this maybe we could include superhero movies not based on comic books so we can include the incredibles all the great non-comic based superhero movies that are out there.

But then you lose the great comic book movies that aren't about superheroes, like Road to Perdition.

Still pushing for soundtracks/scores personally... but not to the point of running my own poll. Anxious
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States
  • Posted: 02/10/2018 22:01
  • Post subject:
I could do a Western list, though without more viewing, there are only about 60 that I've seen and liked.

A few other ideas:

Foreign movies

Film Noir or Crime - Crime could be fun -- any movie where a crime figures prominently in the story

Movies before 1970 or Black & White movies - basically a stratagem to give movies older than Pulp Fiction and the Star Wars franchise a chance (I love Pulp Fiction and don't hate Star Wars)

Cult Movies - Since that's a subjective category, choices could be limited to the list of movies in the book 500 Essential Cult Movies

Weird Movies - Subjective, but a guy on ICheckMovies made a fascinating list of 366 films and it could be limited to that or maybe participants could be allowed to contribute 5 additional movies to the master list or something...

Just freeballing here. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States
  • Posted: 02/10/2018 22:27
  • Post subject:
Yeah the more I think about it, the more it's rubbish we wouldn't do westerns. So what if most people can't do a full 100? One of the most enjoyable things about this site is seeing stuff you're not familiar with on a list and discovering it yourself.

No offense PurpleHazel but most of those ideas sound rubbish. I personally hate classifying films by if they're in black and white, and we've already done top 100s for every decade back to the silent era so pre-70s has no appeal. Foreign movies is weird because are English/British movies foreign? What about American rims in foreign language? Or dubbed films.

Cult/weird would both be cool. I don't think there's an obvious favorite for those.

Film Noir would probably be an outstanding list, one I'd love to see 100 of even if I can't name half that many personally.

Last edited by badseed on 02/11/2018 05:27; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States
  • Posted: 02/10/2018 22:55
  • Post subject:
I would obviously be down for a western list. Just cap it at 50.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 02/10/2018 23:09
  • Post subject:
Of course Lee Van Cleef wants to do Westerns. I'm also totally down for that but agree 100 is too many. 25 or 50.

No need to rip on the pre-70s idea. PurpleHazel wasn't on BEA when we did the decade lists.

The comic book idea seems to have a couple other fans. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Again I think 2017 should be next. It's award season so 2017 films is my current focus, and I'm probably not alone.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States
  • Posted: 02/11/2018 00:46
  • Post subject:
AwaitingAndrew wrote:
hereforashortime wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:

But then you lose the great comic book movies that aren't about superheroes, like Road to Perdition.

Still pushing for soundtracks/scores personally... but not to the point of running my own poll. Anxious

Maybe we could include both non-superhero comic book movies and non-comic book super hero movies on the list.
hereforashortime

United States
  • Posted: 02/11/2018 01:51
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Or what about Best Year for movies, similar to what AAL is currently doing for music?

This would be fun
badseed

United States
  • Posted: 02/11/2018 04:59
  • Post subject:
I think you guys are being chodes. Half y'all don't know jack about horror and we did 100 of those (given its the only list that has had what I would consider terrible movies). There are plenty of good westerns. Just because you all can't make 100 doesn't mean that it shouldn't be the set maximum and final list. Capping it off at 50 would just leave dozens of well known films unmentioned. Nobody ever forced us to come up with 100 on anything else that we weren't able to do. That's why lists are weighted. If I couldn't name many films I wouldn't want my list to have as much weight as someone who knows their shit, so if you only ten westerns in your life, it shouldn't be hard to accept the fact that due to your lack of knowledge of the genre that your favorite only gets ten points while mine gets 100. Why would we want to achieve anything less than what we are certainly (at least collectively) capable of? Make a top 50 if you want but if I host that one (and I doubt I will, at least not soon) I'm setting it at 100 for the final list. It would probably wind up being the best genre list we've done. The only reason it makes any sense at all to do less than 100 is if we decide to do like we did with sci-fi and fantasy and do 50 each for western and war films (not that they really deserve to be put together but they generally tend to be for whatever reason). I don't like that idea either though. We do 50 westerns and we're liable to have less than than ten films that don't star either James Stewart, Henry Fonda, John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. Who's gonna have anything to gain from that? If you aren't big into westerns you're either gonna not give a crap about the list at all, or be curious about the stuff you haven't watched. So the pros seem to outweigh the cons IMO. You noobs go ahead And make your top 15s with Tombstone and Young Guns at the top, and let us experts fill the list out with lesser known, lesser appreciated films that some of you wouldn't ever hear of/care about if we make just half a list.

I mean really. James Stewart is our favorite actor of all time. I know it's mostly Capra and Hitchcock and (oddly enough) Harvey that everyone loves. Y'all like him so much though, do your research, and go watch a dozen or so of his westerns. We've all seen Liberty Valance but what about Destry Rides Again or his many collaborations with Anthony Mann. Throw all the John Ford and Howard Hawks and boom there's 25 outstanding westerns pre-Eastwood. Then you move on to Eastwood, Leone, the other spaghetti westerns... You got Wild Bunch and Butch and Sundance. Post-westerns like El Topo, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Dead Man and The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. Modern classics like The Proposition and The Assassination of Jesse James; both the original and remake of 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit. I just named like 96 westerns off the top of my head.

Regarding best years, that's cool but it would be better off worked like the polls for the music years as opposed to a list. For the record I've always been big on '40, '41, '46, '60, and '94. But my opinion on that has probably changed drastically since the last time I really thought about it.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States
  • Posted: 02/11/2018 06:00
  • Post subject:
How could you possibly do a poll of favourite years?? What would we do? Make a list of 100 different years? I don't even know if the movies have been around for a hundred years. Heh heh.
  • Visit poster's website