Best Ever Actor-Director Teams [POLL] **CLOSED**

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/04/2019 06:02
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Watched Nosferatu (1979), added Herzog-Kinski to my list. In the spirit of this poll, I also saw My Best Fiend, one of the few director-actor partnership documentaries to have played in theaters (assume Liv and Ingmar did too).

Glad you were able to watch Nosferatu. It would be the most obvious omission if it doesn't make the final list. I find it interesting the different paths we take as film viewers. For example, you just watched enough to put Herzog but already had Fassbinder. I was pretty knowledgeable of Herzog way back as a teenager, but up until like 3 or 4 years ago I didn't know a thing about Fassbinder.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/05/2019 02:40
  • Post subject:
Herzog might be a little better-known these days (though for some reason the lists here don't seem to reflect that), but Fassbinder's pretty well-known in his own right. He had one of the most prolific streaks of any non-experimental director in his short life: 40 full-length films between 1969-1982.

Of the classic art film directors, it does seem like Kurosawa, Herzog and Bunuel are the ones that have had the most crossover appeal to non-classic-foreign-art-film American fans.

But I'd also say that all of the big three New German directors -- Herzog, Fassbinder and Wim Wenders -- have all had a fair amount of crossover success with American audiences. I'm not sure what Herzog's crossover appeal is exactly (though I do understand why the movies are good) -- is it that Aguirre and Fitzcaraldo are about obsessives and madmen, or that an obsessive, sometimes mad director was making movies about obsessives and madmen, starring a madman, Kinski? Most of Fassbinder's most famous films are pretty accessible by art-film standards (Douglas Sirk was one of his biggest influences) and he was very fashionable in the early 80s (I witnessed that myself). Wenders' crossover appeal is Wings of Desire being an arthouse phenomenon, and having directed many English language movies.

The different film journeys we travel are interesting. I saw Marriage of Maria Braun on a school trip with my Latin class when I was 14. I already mentioned on the forums that I saw Berlin Alexanderplatz in the theater over two days when I was around 19.

Hanna Schygulla's in ~20 Fassbinder films, while Kinski's only in 5 Herzog movies. This is a little misleading because Fassbinder usually used a stock company and she was part of it from the start of his movie career -- she often didn't have starring roles, though she was the female lead in several.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2019 07:46
  • Post subject:
Re: Kazan-Brando. Another reason I'm leaning against including them is because Brando's only a supporting actor in Streetcar. Granted it's one of the most influential supporting performances of all time, but I just felt two leads and one supporting role barely qualify as a collaboration by the standards I set for myself. Of course, someone else could probably nitpick something I included in my list for something similar.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2019 09:11
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Re: Kazan-Brando. Another reason I'm leaning against including them is because Brando's only a supporting actor in Streetcar. Granted it's one of the most influential supporting performances of all time, but I just felt two leads and one supporting role barely qualify as a collaboration by the standards I set for myself. Of course, someone else could probably nitpick something I included in my list for something similar.

Ick. No.

If Streetcar is a supporting performance, and that's a big if(I definitely consider it leading, even if Blanch is the main character), it's the most significant supporting performance in film history. Regardless I don't think the size of the role should play too much influence. Even so, there are many far less "leading" actors that have been listed.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2019 14:08
  • Post subject:
1. Anderson-Hoffman

2. Jarmusch-Swinton

3. Linklater-Delpy

4. Haynes-Moore

5. Tarantino-Thurman

6. Allen-Farrow

7. Godard-Belmondo

8. Lynch-Watts

9. Wilder-Monroe

10. Bergman-Andersson

11. Cassavetes-Rowlands

12. Coen-Buscemi

13. Coppola-Dunst

14. Hitchcock-Stewart

15. Coogler-Jordan

16. Soderbergh-Tatum

17. Assayas-Binoche

18. Baumbach-Stiller

19. Haneke-Huppert

20. Swanberg-Gerwig

21. Anderson-Murray

22. Wong Kar Wai-Cheung

23. Hill-Grier

24. Apatow- Seth Rogan

25. Reichert-Williams

26. Wright-Pegg

27. Russell-Wahlberg

28. Leigh-Hawkins

29. Smith-Lee

30. Brooks-Wilder
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2019 23:03
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Ick. No.

If Streetcar is a supporting performance, and that's a big if(I definitely consider it leading, even if Blanch is the main character), it's the most significant supporting performance in film history.

Brando got a best actor nom for Streetcar, so I was wrong about it being considered a supporting role. If I'm remembering correctly, Kim Hunter has significantly more screen time than Brando. You win! I'm adding them. Discourse on message boards can change minds!

Last edited by PurpleHazel on 05/07/2019 01:04; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/07/2019 00:24
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
badseed wrote:
Ick. No.

If Streetcar is a supporting performance, and that's a big if(I definitely consider it leading, even if Blanch is the main character), it's the most significant supporting performance in film history.

Brando got a best actor nom for Streetcar, so I was wrong about it being considered a supporting role. If I'm remembering correctly, Kim Hunter has significantly more screen time than Brando. You win! I'm adding them. Discussing concerns on message boards can change minds!

Streetcar is like Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. There are four main stars, it's just that the bigger stars got the lead nominations. Glad you decided to add it. That was one along with Herzog-Kinski that I thought was a given but it took a bit for either to gain any kind of traction in this poll.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/07/2019 04:27
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
1. Anderson-Hoffman

2. Jarmusch-Swinton

3. Linklater-Delpy

4. Haynes-Moore

5. Tarantino-Thurman

6. Allen-Farrow

7. Godard-Belmondo

8. Lynch-Watts

9. Wilder-Monroe

10. Bergman-Andersson

11. Cassavetes-Rowlands

12. Coen-Buscemi

13. Coppola-Dunst

14. Hitchcock-Stewart

15. Coogler-Jordan

16. Soderbergh-Tatum

17. Assayas-Binoche

18. Baumbach-Stiller

19. Haneke-Huppert

20. Swanberg-Gerwig

21. Anderson-Murray

22. Wong Kar Wai-Cheung

23. Hill-Grier

24. Apatow- Seth Rogan

25. Reichert-Williams

26. Wright-Pegg

27. Russell-Wahlberg

28. Leigh-Hawkins

29. Smith-Lee

30. Brooks-Wilder

Assuming that's Bibi and not Harriet unless you state otherwise. Nice list. Thanks for joining us.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/08/2019 20:01
  • Post subject:
Deadline set for Sunday, May 19 at midnight eastern standard time (or technically, the minute it turns Monday on the east coast). 11 more days to get in a list. I've messaged Mercury and AfterHours about participating so I'm hoping to hear from them. Who else are we missing?
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/08/2019 22:08
  • Post subject:
Don't think members who contributed to other polls realize how super easy it is to throw together a list just by scrolling through this incredibly thorough Wikipedia list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...aborations

Anyone who's submitted a decent-sized list to any of the movie polls should be able to make one of at least 25. It does take a little time to go through the list, but its length is what enables it to do a lot, maybe even most, of the work for you.
  • Visit poster's website