View previous topic :: View next topic
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 03/07/2012 20:08
  • Post subject:
Boogn1sh wrote:

Wow !! We should go to pictures together some day Boog Very Happy

I recently purchased Santa Sangre on DVD : amazing storytelling and art direction !

Through A Glass Darkly is one of my favorite Bergman movies. The acting is terrific : the scene at the end where they wait for god to appear from the closet is incredible.

Picnic at Hanging Rock !! I must have seen that movie 3-4 times (and reread the book). Truely a "mystery" movie.

May I suggest :

That and "Shadows" have changed my perception of filmmaking. An emotional honesty true to the characters.

• Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2012 20:28
  • Post subject:
The one Cassavettes movie I've seen is The Killing of a Chinese Bookie and it was...okay. I think I need to see Cassavettes' cut of the film, the one that's closer to two and a half hours.

And yeah, Through a Glass Darkly is fantastic, but I rate Hour of the Wolf just very slightly higher. Still need to see Persona.

Moving away from the arthouse side of things, I don't know how many of you have seen Attack the Block, but it's one of the best adventure movies I've seen in years. A bunch of aliens crash into a shitty neighborhood in London and it's up to a bunch of kids from the projects to save the day. It's got that '80s movie teen horror/adventure movie vibe but with more of a vibe, and the script is fantastic. There's even a bit of social commentary for those of you who need that stuff to consider a movie to be "serious!" Check it out if you want a really quick, really fun burst of pure entertainment.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
Boogn1sh

• Posted: 03/07/2012 21:33
  • Post subject:
CellarDoor wrote:
Boogn1sh wrote:

Wow !! We should go to pictures together some day Boog Very Happy

I recently purchased Santa Sangre on DVD : amazing storytelling and art direction !

Through A Glass Darkly is one of my favorite Bergman movies. The acting is terrific : the scene at the end where they wait for god to appear from the closet is incredible.

Picnic at Hanging Rock !! I must have seen that movie 3-4 times (and reread the book). Truely a "mystery" movie.

May I suggest :

That and "Shadows" have changed my perception of filmmaking. An emotional honesty true to the characters.

Totally! Through a Glass Darkly is very underrated compared to other Bergman films. I've never read the Picnic at Hanging Rock book I'll have to check it out. Faces is really great as well, I'm a huge Cassavetes fan.
  • Visit poster's website
BlueNote

• Posted: 03/08/2012 03:25
  • Post subject:

Great movie...
  • Visit poster's website
Boogn1sh

• Posted: 03/08/2012 04:47
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:

Moving away from the arthouse side of things, I don't know how many of you have seen Attack the Block, but it's one of the best adventure movies I've seen in years. A bunch of aliens crash into a shitty neighborhood in London and it's up to a bunch of kids from the projects to save the day. It's got that '80s movie teen horror/adventure movie vibe but with more of a vibe, and the script is fantastic. There's even a bit of social commentary for those of you who need that stuff to consider a movie to be "serious!" Check it out if you want a really quick, really fun burst of pure entertainment.

Attack the Block was really great actually. Hadn't even heard of it when we got free tickets to it - most of the movies we end up getting freebies to end up being garbage- so my hopes weren't super high going into it but I enjoyed it quite a bit. There were talks of it getting some Oscar nods, for script specifically, and I think it totally deserved it.

Speaking of snubs you should all see Take Shelter if you haven't. Has some cheesy CG and one of my least favorite endings in movie history (no exaggeration) but goddamn does Michael Shannon give an absolutely brilliant performance. The scene at the group dinner (don't wanna spoil anymore) is worth the price of admission alone.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 03/08/2012 20:52
  • Post subject:
A selection from my "cult movie corner" :

Very Happy

• Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 03/12/2012 02:03
  • Post subject:

Link

Just in case you needed a little more B-movie goodness in your life today, here’s A Pistol for Ringo. After robbing a bank, a group of dastardly bandits turn a hacienda into a fort and take its residents hostage…and who better to save the day than wisecracking, self-serving “Angel-Face” Ringo? It doesn’t reinvent the wheel by any stretch but it’s a whole lotta fun and stays engaging throughout.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 03/12/2012 02:42
  • Post subject:
CellarDoor wrote:
A selection from my "cult movie corner" :

Very Happy

argh! it's weird how your guys dvds go the wrong way up.

• Posted: 03/27/2012 00:56
  • Post subject:
My favourite French film of all time

I was more than a little shocked when i recently discovered that there are people out there in BEA land who have never heard of Betty Blue let alone seen it.

It is such a beautiful beautiful film!!!

And if that doesn't win you over, then there is a lot of sex and nudity in it! Very Happy
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/27/2012 02:05
  • Post subject:
Boogn1sh wrote:
Attack the Block was really great actually. Hadn't even heard of it when we got free tickets to it - most of the movies we end up getting freebies to end up being garbage- so my hopes weren't super high going into it but I enjoyed it quite a bit. There were talks of it getting some Oscar nods, for script specifically, and I think it totally deserved it.

Speaking of snubs you should all see Take Shelter if you haven't. Has some cheesy CG and one of my least favorite endings in movie history (no exaggeration) but goddamn does Michael Shannon give an absolutely brilliant performance. The scene at the group dinner (don't wanna spoil anymore) is worth the price of admission alone.

Yeah Attack The Block is mint, I'd recommend it.

Link

One of the best bits, I swear I know too many kids just like this.

Also, not sure if they really qualify as obscure enough for this thread but the early Coen brothers films are just great, Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing and Raising Arizona for example.