What is it with Funeral by Arcade Fire?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 01/27/2012 15:23
  • Post subject:
I could be off base, but I think a part of this could also be that people come to this site, see an album ranked so high, and decide to go get it or re-listen to it. They think that because it's ranked high, it must be great, so they force themselves into thinking it's great, even if they don't necessarily feel that strongly about it. This makes it keep moving up or at least hold onto it's spot on the site.

Now the reason I say this is because that's what happened with me (to an extent). I'd heard of Arcade Fire obviously before discovering this site, but once I saw the ranking of Funeral here, I knew I had to get it. Well I listened over the course of a month and it ended up on my list around 14 I think. Well over these next few months I keep going back to it, and while I absolutely do love and respect it, I feel I ranked it a little too high because this site indicates that's how great it is. It will probably settle in my chart somewhere in the low 20's or 30's Think . I still think it's great, but BEA fooled me into thinking it's just a little greater that what I actually feel Embarassed .

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that perception created by the site might at least play a small part in keeping it so high (this may be the case with other albums too). But again, I do love the album, and can at least understand people like Hayden and others thinking it's the greatest album ever.
  • Visit poster's website
247joelnetwork

United States

• Posted: 01/27/2012 16:31
  • Post subject:
Good point, pearljammer. I didn't own a copy of Funeral until I joined the site. It was one of the first albums I purchased based off of BEA reputation. Before joining BEA, I'd only heard about 25 of the Top 100 all the way through. I didn't want to look like an idiot when I rated albums or charts, so I held off on rating albums until I'd heard most of the top 100. I don't think that most people approach the site like that. I think that some people join the site, come up with a basic chart, rate a few albums from our top 100 & split. Over 200 of the members who've rated OK Computer have rated less than 50 albums. If you look at most of their charts, they look very top 100. It's likely that people come in, pick some sure-fire winners to add to their chart & then never use the site again! The only reason OK Computer maintains it's #1 is b/c of this.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/28/2012 18:36
  • Post subject:
Polythene Pam wrote:
Funeral is the musical equivilant of The Breakfast Club

It's trendy and young people can identify with it, I just don't think there is much there to keep coming back too.

yeah, so was the work of Pavement, Replacements, Pixies...
what the kids identify with is the music that's staying for the next decades and apparently this album is staying
5thbeatle
Waiting to die

• Posted: 05/30/2012 19:30
  • Post subject:
Or is it just that difficult to accept that maybe one of the greatest bands of the 21st century is indeed Arcade Fire.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/30/2012 19:52
  • Post subject:
A bit too fast to judge there, we've got another 88 years of this century after all.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/30/2012 20:03
  • Post subject: Re: What is it with Funeral by Arcade Fire?
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
I mean it's good but is it the 11th best album ever?

Is it better than all of The Smiths albums NO
, than The Stone Roses, YES
than the Velvet Underground, NO
than the Pixies, NO, BUT CLOSE
than Joy Division, NO
than The Prodigy, YES
than Jimi Hendrix, YES
than The Libertines, YES
than Sonic Youth, NO
than The Doors, I'M NOT SURE
than Primal Scream, YES
than The Stooges NO

That's a fine count by me. A really good album, not deserving its 11th rank, but deserving a fair mention in 50 best albums of the 00s.
  • Visit poster's website
5thbeatle
Waiting to die

• Posted: 05/30/2012 20:06
  • Post subject:
That's why I said " one of the greatest" could be the first great one of this new century.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 05/30/2012 21:03
  • Post subject:
Does it deserve to be #11? NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT, that's ingratitude: It deserves to be on top 5 of all time.

The thing you are all writing about is completely off the point: you see if BEA and it's overall chart influences people that much then the chart should not change at all. Everyone sees OK Computer on top and thinks it's the best and then there's DSOTM and so on; if this was the procedure Funeral would've never had the chance to climb up in the chart because of all the albums that are on higher ranks and new members would have appreciated them more because they're higher than Funeral, like London Calling. But London Calling despite it's higher rank is going down.

Last edited by Guest on 05/30/2012 21:27; edited 2 times in total
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/30/2012 21:04
  • Post subject:
5thbeatle wrote:
Or is it just that difficult to accept that maybe one of the greatest bands of the 21st century is indeed Arcade Fire.

Hey look I like Arcade Fire and yeah they're one of the best bands of the century so far, albeit they don't have much competition. But actually their position in the top bands of the 21st century is not relevant to the overall chart is it?

Why did this get bumped anyway?
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/30/2012 21:12
  • Post subject:
I like the #1 spot.

Very personal album to me....

I think overall 11th, is quite reasonable.