Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 09/03/2013 20:31
  • Post subject:
Listmeister wrote:
Awolnation's Sail, for the line "Maybe I should kill myself and blame it on my ADD". It's been on the charts for months, and still climbing. Any song that presents suicide as an option in the lyrics is morally irresponsible, reprehensible, and should produce visceral anger in anyone who understands how much music affects its listeners.

I have always felt this way, even about the "teen tragedy" genre that was popular in the 50's, the kind that has the plot: boy meets girl, boy can't be with girl because of social pressures (she's from the wrong side of the tracks, usually), girl jumps in the river, boy decides to jump in the river after her, leaving the song as sort of a suicide note. I really, really, hate those songs also.

But killing yourself and blaming it on attention deficit? WTF???? Why would you even suggest such a thing? Even if I'm completely missing the point (and I'd be willing to concede that) it's that line that's going to stick in the loop tape of some disturbed kid's mind, and then his blood will be on Awolnation's hands.

Wow ya I think you are missing the point (atleast it's different from my interpretation). I thought the "blame it on my ADD" was more of a jab at more and more people being diagnosed with mental illnesses for being different than others. Or rather it's saying "Oh well that kid killed himself, must have been because he had ADD" by drawing a ridiculous causal line to the other. Like blaming these "illnesses" for everything rather than the actual human interaction that takes place (ie bullying). Could be wrong though, I am no doctor after all, but I very much doubt Awolnation condones suicide and blaming it on attention deficit disorder.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 09/03/2013 20:42
  • Post subject:
I don't understand why suicide should not be talked about in songs. That's just nonsense. Suicide is an important issue and should absolutely be the subject of some songs. It's like if you we're saying that singers shouldn't say "fuck" in their songs because there might be children listening.

The best songs (or at least, the best lyrics) deal with difficult issues like suicide. I'm thinking about Androgynous by The Replacements which is about transsexuality and just freedom, Fistful Of Love by Antony & The Johnsons which deals with love through sadomasochism, and Spiralling by the same artist, where the narrator is literally dying. These are tracks that touch me like no other. Belle & Sebastian are also pretty great at this kind of songs.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 09/03/2013 21:12
  • Post subject:
I am so sick of the "Wanted" song from that Hunter Hayes kid!

God bless you and him always!!! Smile Smile Smile

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/03/2013 22:58
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
Fucking hell this thread is dumb as balls.

I knew you'd hate it Laughing

Strongly disagree with Blurred Lines, Summertime Sadness, Diamonds, La La La, I Love It, Bad Romance being mentioned here. The rest I'm indifferent to at best, Radioactive is boring let's be honest.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2013 00:19
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
I concur with Let Her Go and Ho Hey.

My pick would be Radioactive by Imagine Dragons.

The hatred I have for that song is indescribable. Also that might be the dumbest band name ever.

Hm ... I have mixed feelings here. Let Her Go I absolutely love, but that's because I really loved Passenger's first album and it isn't getting played to crap where I am yet. Ho Hey drove me insane, but I don't know that it would at this point, I just haven't heard it in so long. Pity because they have much better songs with much more interesting lyrics and more complex rhythms ... oh well. Imagine Dragons is a dumbass name, though, and I can't stand that song. Or Demons. It's Time isn't awful but if I hear it more than once in a day I will punch someone.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
moojakptorei

• Posted: 09/04/2013 08:27
  • Post subject:
Does anyone else think there are too many indie folk bands at the moment?
MichaelMannn

• Posted: 09/04/2013 08:30
  • Post subject:
yeah imagine dragons are pretty fucking awful
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2013 11:41
  • Post subject:
Listmeister wrote:
Awolnation's Sail, for the line "Maybe I should kill myself and blame it on my ADD". It's been on the charts for months, and still climbing. Any song that presents suicide as an option in the lyrics is morally irresponsible, reprehensible, and should produce visceral anger in anyone who understands how much music affects its listeners.

I have always felt this way, even about the "teen tragedy" genre that was popular in the 50's, the kind that has the plot: boy meets girl, boy can't be with girl because of social pressures (she's from the wrong side of the tracks, usually), girl jumps in the river, boy decides to jump in the river after her, leaving the song as sort of a suicide note. I really, really, hate those songs also.

But killing yourself and blaming it on attention deficit? WTF???? Why would you even suggest such a thing? Even if I'm completely missing the point (and I'd be willing to concede that) it's that line that's going to stick in the loop tape of some disturbed kid's mind, and then his blood will be on Awolnation's hands.

Wtf? This is the kind of over-sensitive crap I'd expect from Tumblr, not BEA. Don't be so easily offended.

Ochurch25 wrote:
Does anyone else think there are too many indie folk bands at the moment?

Everyone on this forum can probably agree to that.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/04/2013 12:10
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
Wtf? This is the kind of over-sensitive crap I'd expect from Tumblr, not BEA. Don't be so easily offended.

Outlaw, Necharsian and Drakonium's posts should give you an idea of what is an appropriate way to respond to a comment like Listmeister's. If you think he's wrong then at least explain why, don't just dismiss it as if he's stupid.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2013 16:49
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
Everyone on this forum can probably agree to that.

Not me. Perhaps it's just because I've always loved the genre, but I love this trend. I know everyone else hates it, once something becomes mainstream it gets hated, I get that, but I love the indie folk/banjo pop trend that's been going on. It's created some great music.

Are there too many indie blues-rock bands? Because there are definitely a lot of them, they just haven't all seen the mainstream success the indie folk bands have.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website