8%
 8%  [2]
Total Votes : 23

JMan

• Posted: 09/10/2013 23:21
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
There's plenty good pizza in different styles:

- Chicago style, best at the original Gino's East on the North Side. I voted for this one, although it isn't really pizza. It's pie. Best thing about it is that it takes at least 45 mins to make so there is ample time to finish off your first pitcher of beer.
- Thick American style, best at Slugger's Pizza in Silvis, IL. Lots of dough which requires lots of toppings.
- Italian thin crust style. While there are several good places for this in Italy of course, on average you are much more likely to get a bad quality Italian pizza there than in, for instance, France, Sweden, Spain, or Italian-American restaurants in the US. Actually, if you just pick a pizza place on random, you are more likely to get a bad pizza in Italy than a good one. Thin crust works better than the other styles for snazzed up pizzas.

Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa John's and the like are only good for greasing up a dehydrated system at 3am.

The pizza my stepdad makes is beautiful stuff! And I like Papa Johns and Domino's...
I had Chicago style pizza when I was a kid, but I hardly remember it.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2013 01:08
  • Post subject:
As a self-proclaimed pizza connoisseur who's had pizza in quite a few places around the world, here's my breakdown of regional pizza (best to worst):

1. Naples (south Italy, not counting Sicily)
2. New York
3. Milan (north Italy)
4. Rome/Florence (central Italy)
5. California (particularly San Francisco)
6. Sicily (just personal preference, I like thin crust better, but I had some good shit in Sicily)
7. China (Beijing)
8. France/Belgium/Netherlands
9. Sbarro (American)
10. Spain (If ham is the only pizza topping you can, Spanish pizza might appeal to you)
11. Chicago (Chicago, I love you, but fuck your pizza)
12. Chinese Pizza Hut (which for some reason is so much better than the American one...)
13. Germany/Netherlands (please for the love of all that is holy do NOT put tuna and corn on pizza...blegh)
14. American Pizza Hut
15. Dominos (American)
16. Papa John's (American)

The single best slice I've ever had was from Florence and had thin crust with mozzarella, plum tomatoes, arugula, basil, and garlic on it (among possibly other spices). The single worst slice of pizza I've ever had (including chain pizza) was in Hamburg (Germany) and had slightly doughy crust with shitty cheese, tuna, corn, and red/green peppers. The toppings themselves were fresh, it's just the weird combination and the shitty dough and cheese that made it terrible. The worst pizza I've ever had in the US (not counting chain pizza) was a place in NYC which was just a cheese/plain slice but was for some reason just terrible (but it was 75 cents lol). Although I've been to a bunch of places, I haven't tried pizza at all of them, so yeah...

Since New York, Chicago, and California are separate categories, it kind of makes sense to separate Italy into two categories: mainland and Sicily.
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2013 05:14
  • Post subject:
New York for me. Really it's New Jersey boardwalk pizza (with my favourite being Three Brothers From Italy in Seaside Heights). Chain pizza is tolerable, and not just in desperate situations, but it's the worst of the bunch. I've never been to Italy, but I'd like to think I have a very good idea of what it's like based on the restaurants I've been to in NYC that serve more traditional recipes (La Pizza Fresca is probably the next best pizza I've had). I haven't been to Chicago either, but I did eat a delicious Chicago-style pizza made by the father of a friend of mine who was from there. If I ever had pizza in California, I can't remember it.

Also, fun fact: North Korea actually had their first pizzeria open just a few years back, or so I've read.
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2013 05:18
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Since New York, Chicago, and California are separate categories, it kind of makes sense to separate Italy into two categories: mainland and Sicily.

Wouldn't that just be the difference between Sicilian and Neapolitan?
SingingPeasant96
Coming-of-Age

Unknown

• Posted: 09/11/2013 05:26
  • Post subject:
Cymro2011 wrote:
The only correct answer is Italy.

Yes, I like those 'minimalism' Smile
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 09/11/2013 07:00
  • Post subject:
For those who don't know, here's what an Aussie pizza looks like:

We stay classy.
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2013 14:21
  • Post subject:
New York style, thin crust, cut into wedges, is the only real pizza. Pizza cut into squares is not real pizza -- it's like decafinated coffee or sugar-free bubble-gum: I know they make it, but I'm not sure what the point is.

Plus also, vegetables have a de-pizzafying effect.

In Dayton, Ohio, where I work, there's one New York style pizza place (that I've found). Service is terrible. The place is not very clean. It's still my favorite pizza place in southwestern Ohio. By Southwest Ohio, I am including a major Cincinnati chain (La Rosa's) which is awesome, but still not quite New York style.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2013 15:30
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
Wouldn't that just be the difference between Sicilian and Neapolitan?

Basically yes, but Milanese/Florentine pizza is slightly different than Neapolitan. Naples has something like ultra-thin crust, whereas Florence has SLIGHTLY thicker crust, more similar to New York-style, but with more of a focus on fresh tomatoes and leafy greens (basil, arugula, etc.). Not nearly as much of a difference as Sicily to mainland Italy, but I think it still doesn't feel right to combine Naples and northern Italy, though Naples is the most famous for it.
JMan

• Posted: 09/11/2013 20:19
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
For those who don't know, here's what an Aussie pizza looks like:

We stay classy.

Mmm. I gotta get Den to make that. Anyway, I love having both meat and veggies on my pizza, but...

Link

I never liked pineapples.

• Posted: 09/11/2013 20:36
  • Post subject:
I can't eat pizzas anymore... too much doughy bready stuff involved.

When I was still able to eat pizzas, well the real Italian ones were the only ones to have - they at least tasted good and like pizzas. American ones tasted like plastic McPizzas (at least the chain store ones do), The UK ones were similar.

I like the NZ Hell's pizza ok - but they have all that gourmet shit on that the snobby pizza hipsters on here seem to be sneering at.

Kind of glad I don't eat pizza anymore - it seems to be way too competitive a fast food for me to keep up with.

Confused