What Classifies a Genre or Sub-Genre?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 11/16/2013 14:36
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
I'm pretty sure dubstep came before Skrillex and he kind of incorporated elements of it and other things into his music and that is what is known as brostep, I guess. Burial is really really fantastic dubstep but I see his music being called ambient dubstep sometimes.

Lol, and RYM calls Burial future garage too. What the fuck is future garage? Razz This is funny. I like genres, they're silly things.

Future garage makes total sense as a genre label if you know about UK garage (the 130bpm strand of dance music that was the foundation of grime and dubstep).
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/16/2013 15:53
  • Post subject:
Also, I would like to say calling genre classification blatantly ridiculous feels wrong to me. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean there is a method or legitimacy to it.
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:01
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
Also, I would like to say calling genre classification blatantly ridiculous feels wrong to me. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean there is a method or legitimacy to it.

You have to admit that some of these genre names are downright hilarious, though. Laughing

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:02
  • Post subject:
genesisfoxtrot21 wrote:
You have to admit that some of these genre names are downright hilarious, though. Laughing

Which ones specifically?
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:05
  • Post subject:
genesisfoxtrot21 wrote:

Only if you lack an understanding of context or origin, sure.
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:05
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Which ones specifically?

RockyRaccoon wrote:
"Brostep", "future garage".

Genres be crazy yo
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:08
  • Post subject:
The best thing I ever did for myself as far as discovering new music and being able to have an open mind was to completely disregard genre labels. I was limiting myself because I was allowing the label to get in the way of me listening with both ears and my brain open.

The result of this is that I don't care what genre an album falls into. If someone throws a rec my way, I'm going to listen to it without having an opinion about it beforehand, which may (or may not) influence my feelings about what I hear. What I am able to listen to and enjoy has increased a lot, and increases every day.

Genres? Don't care.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:11
  • Post subject:
genesisfoxtrot21 wrote:

lethalnezzle wrote:
Which ones specifically?

RockyRaccoon wrote:
"Brostep", "future garage".

Genres be crazy yo

lethalnezzle wrote:
Future garage makes total sense as a genre label if you know about UK garage (the 130bpm strand of dance music that was the foundation of grime and dubstep).

Brostep also makes total sense. It does exactly what it says on the tin. I don't see what makes them funny, they're both perfectly valid and logical genre labels.
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:11
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
The best thing I ever did for myself as far as discovering new music and being able to have an open mind was to completely disregard genre labels. I was limiting myself because I was allowing the label to get in the way of me listening with both ears and my brain open.

The result of this is that I don't care what genre an album falls into. If someone throws a rec my way, I'm going to listen to it without having an opinion about it beforehand, which may (or may not) influence my feelings about what I hear. What I am able to listen to and enjoy has increased a lot, and increases every day.

Genres? Don't care.

This is why I sometimes wish that genres didn't exist. They really do get in the way for people new to the world of music. Being limited to one genre just isn't a good thing, at least I don't think so.
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/16/2013 16:13
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Brostep also makes total sense. It does exactly what it says on the tin. I don't see what makes them funny, they're both perfectly valid and logical genre labels.

I don't know, I found them a bit humorous. I apologize, I now realize that that was a bit out of place. I didn't have the correct context, I'm sorry.