View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2015 00:30
  • Post subject:
BrandonMiaow wrote:
Applerill wrote:
I've read a fair bit over break, most choices you can see on my Goodreads (though it includes everything from Anne Rice and Miranda July to Slavenka Drakulic and Gertrude Stein. Tender Buttons is much more than a twee-pop album, Bros.) . But I recently found this book in my dad's office, and it's sorta scaring me.

Link to your goodreads?

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/109...lie-rogers

Waiting for a friend request, Brandon. I <3 your taste in books.
  • Visit poster's website
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 08/17/2015 00:33
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
BrandonMiaow wrote:
Applerill wrote:
I've read a fair bit over break, most choices you can see on my Goodreads (though it includes everything from Anne Rice and Miranda July to Slavenka Drakulic and Gertrude Stein. Tender Buttons is much more than a twee-pop album, Bros.) . But I recently found this book in my dad's office, and it's sorta scaring me.

Link to your goodreads?

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/109...lie-rogers

Waiting for a friend request, Brandon. I <3 your taste in books.

holy fuck you've read a lot of books XD Apparently you had already sent me a friend request but I guess I ignored it, lol, must not have recognized your name.
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2015 17:41
  • Post subject:
Just finished The Other Wes Moore and about to start Huckleberry Finn. Both are for school. Outside of school I'm reading How Music Works by David Byrne.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2015 17:51
  • Post subject:
Space-Dementia wrote:
Outside of school I'm reading How Music Works by David Byrne.

Really should give that a second reading soon. Read it all the way back in 2012, but I don't know if I was really musically educated enough to make the most of his deeper insights.
  • Visit poster's website
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 08/18/2015 04:56
  • Post subject:
The Wretched of the Earth by Frantz Fanon
Just finished "On Violence" I think he lost me a few times (which doesn't reflect well on me considering how relatively straightforward this is) but its really really good, and enlightening. The foreward in my edition by Homi K. Bhabha was also really worth reading, and probably helped me out going in. There's a preface by Jean-Paul Sartre but I was getting excited to read the actual book so I skipped it. I'll come back to it though.

Rhialto the Marvellous by Jack Vance
I've been wanting to read something by him, found this one at the used bookstore, and its as delightfully whimsical as I'd hoped. The first novella is basically about a bunch of wizards who are scared to death of women, and try to deal with the problem of being ensqualmed by them (that is, turned into women).

Drugs are Nice by Lisa Crystal Carver
Yeah, its like pure id. its got some nasty figures popping in like GG Allin but I'm not reading this for them. I'm reading it for Lisa Crystal Carver! Suckdog has that song that goes "Oh baby I want a fucking dragon" (at least that's what I think she is singing), which is a sentiment I can relate to. Its not even a mindset (the whole transgressive 80s thing, don't even know if its a scene with a name - the subtitle is a "a post-punk memoir" but that's too broad) I'm interested in but something about it made me want to read it and I'm actually not regretting it. I know from reading the back it is going to get real depressing later on though.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/18/2015 16:45
  • Post subject:

First book for uni to arrive. Got 12 more coming within the next week or so. Not gonna be reading anything else for quite some time.
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 08/18/2015 16:57
  • Post subject:
Im reading the Decameron. I like italians and medieval literature and there's something about dirty clergymen so Im interested I suppose.
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 08/18/2015 17:04
  • Post subject:

i'm reading this right now, about halfway through, definitely not as good as to the lighthouse or mrs dalloway, but still enjoying it a lot. would recommend

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2015 21:58
  • Post subject:
So which tome should I read next: Wallace's Broom of the System or Perec's Life: A User's Manual.

I think most of you guys would be more familiar with the former (though Perec did also write that favorite of y'all The Man Who Sleeps), but I really don't know which of these 600-page books to start on first.
  • Visit poster's website
Silver

• Posted: 08/21/2015 04:10
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
So which tome should I read next: Wallace's Broom of the System or Perec's Life: A User's Manual.

I think most of you guys would be more familiar with the former (though Perec did also write that favorite of y'all The Man Who Sleeps), but I really don't know which of these 600-page books to start on first.

Perec, and then send your copy to me since I can't find it in any bookstores and it costs like 20 dollars on Amazon.

I'm reading Vineland, it's definitely Pynchon's worst. Seems completely frivolous and the prose is really bland, it's almost like the book has no voice. I read The Death of Artemio Cruz before that though which is a genuine masterpiece and has me getting interested in several other Mexican writers (picked up books by Octavio Paz and Juan Rulfo lately). Also read some more Bolano, The Insufferable Gaucho, which isn't his strongest short story collection but certainly good, and very worth reading for the two essays at the end.