Genre Extravaganza: Poll #2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which Genre should we tackle next?
Black Metal (Necharsian)
15%
 15%  [8]
Post-Punk (sp4cetiger)
9%
 9%  [5]
Country (samistake2ice)
5%
 5%  [3]
House/Techno (satiemaniac)
13%
 13%  [7]
Electric Blues (NickVolos)
3%
 3%  [2]
Reggae/Dub (NoWaxJim)
13%
 13%  [7]
Drum n' Bass (Tonality)
15%
 15%  [8]
Punk (RepoMan)
5%
 5%  [3]
Indie Pop (Suedeswede/Precedent Tag Team)
18%
 18%  [10]
Total Votes : 53

RepoMan

• Posted: 09/03/2014 00:44
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
We discussed the issue of genre breadth before at the beginning stages of the Genre Extravaganza project. In particular, we discussed the idea that both post-punk and punk may be too broad. The general consensus at that time was to keep the genres of post-punk and punk broad with the possibility of further division at a later date if those threads became too unwieldy. I think the idea was that certain users were interested in seeing how a genre evolved across years and countries. I wasn't in that camp myself, but I think either approach works fine. Again, if any given thread becomes too unwieldily, we can always further divide any given (sub)genre as the need dictates.

The discussion on this topic began here and went a couple of pages.

I'm all ears if people want to change this approach at this time. I'm personally pretty flexible about how we tackle this and really just want to get as many users participating as possible.

Genre Breadth

Ok, seems like the general consensus has shifted in favor of narrowing the scope of these Genre Extravaganza threads. Which is totally cool by me and I'm sure Happymeal.

However, considering this is different from the general consensus we got last time we discussed this (please see my earlier post in this thread for the exact link), I will launch another poll/thread on specifically how we as community want to tackle Genre Breadth later today when we have time so that we can actually discuss and vote on this issue.

If we choose to go for the the more narrow route, I'll launch another poll to decide which subgenre we wish to tackle for whatever genres win this particular poll.

For instance just as an example, if punk rock was selected, I'd launch another poll to decide if we wanted to tackle

1. Anarcho Punk
2. Hardcore
3. Pop Punk
4. Proto-Punk
5. 70s NYC Punk
6. 70s UK Punk
etc...

We could do this for any of the genres that end up winning today.

But first, we need to decide what approach the majority of us here want to take. I promise to launch that thread at some point today.

edit: just further clarify my position on this, here's what I posted on this subject matter back then...

RepoMan wrote:
So without time constraints my nominations would now look like this...

Folk Rock (mind-boggling broad)
Post-Punk (certainly manageable)
Post-Hardcore (certainly manageable)

I think time period constraints are necessary for certain genres which are mind-boggling broad such as

Folk Rock
Indie Rock
Punk Rock

I know a little bit about punk rock and can see ways around the time constraints by calling different time periods by particular names such as...

80s American Punk = Hardcore
80s UK Punk = Anarcho Punk
90s Punk = Pop Punk (e.g Screeching Weasel, The Queers, Green Day, The Mr. T Experience, NOFX)

But , I know even more about indie rock and cannot see as good a resolution. I mean indie rock is almost as generic a term as rock at this point. So I think in certain cases (e.g. Folk rock, Indie rock) time constraints should be allowed.

EDIT: tbh, I'd like to see 70s Punk rock broken further into...

proto-punk (e.g. The Stooges, Rocket From the tombs, The Modern Lovers, the Pink Fairies, New York Dolls, The Dictators)
American Punk (e.g. Television, The Ramones, Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers, Richard Hell & the Voidoids, The Germs, the Dead Boys)
UK Punk ( e.g. The Damned, Sex Pistols, the Adverts, Subway Sect, The Clash)
Mies

• Posted: 09/03/2014 00:53
  • Post subject:
Antonio-Pedro wrote:

well...

I think I'm not welcome anymore

Repo we can work it together if you want to

Well...

Happymeal wrote:
Volunteers:
Mies - Stoner Rock

Schedule for first 5:
Stoner Rock............Gowi

Justsaying

(Gowi's thread is really good, obviously)
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/03/2014 01:18
  • Post subject:
Mies wrote:
Justsaying

(Gowi's thread is really good, obviously)

Ok, I've obviously done a horrible job explaining what these threads are about. The champions job is solely to get the genre thread started. That's it. Any one else is then free to write whatever they want and post whatever they want on that (sub) genre. There's no reason that you cannot contribute just as much to any thread as the champion if you feel like it. Write to your heart's content. Obviously on a forum such as this, there is going to be more than one user who's knowledgeable about a given genre. That's good! The point of these threads is actually to promote discussion among those users. Not just have the champion post his bit and then have everyone else sit back and just admire it.

So Mies, write whatever you want on Stoner rock and post it onto the thread. I'd love to read it. Even more so, I'd love to see the discussion that may happen when different viewpoints on a given (sub)genre collide and spark debate.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/03/2014 01:24
  • Post subject:
Hey somebody volunteered me to do stoner rock, I didn't ask for that. Shame on you
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/03/2014 01:29
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
Hey somebody volunteered me to do stoner rock, I didn't ask for that. Shame on you

Haha! Exactly. And how did I mess that up? I'll let my fantasy girl crush Veronica Sawyer explain...

Link

Oh yeah, that's it! Laughing
Mies

• Posted: 09/03/2014 01:36
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Ok, I've obviously done a horrible job explaining what these threads are about. The champions job is solely to get the genre thread started. That's it. Any one else is then free to write whatever they want and post whatever they want on that (sub) genre. There's no reason that you cannot contribute just as much to any thread as the champion if you feel like it. Write to your heart's content. Obviously on a forum such as this, there is going to be more than one user who's knowledgeable about a given genre. That's good! The point of these threads is actually to promote discussion among those users. Not just have the champion post his bit and then have everyone else sit back and just admire it.

So Mies, write whatever you want on Stoner rock and post it onto the thread. I'd love to read it. Even more so, I'd love to see the discussion that may happen when different viewpoints on a given (sub)genre collide and spark debate.

I know I know Repo, indeed I'm about to post something in that thread but it would be a bit long and I haven't find the time yet. But I will. Smile

I know you didn't ask, Gowi, I guess it was an error, anyway I already told you once that I'm glad you did it, you did a great job, and prob I would have not even been able to do it. Laughing

I think it's been a mess in the nominations, etc., and that's somehow funny (see Antonio's post), I didn't want to accuse anyone. Embarassed
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2014 01:42
  • Post subject:
If I may, post-hardcore could be a nightmare. Really hard to find the line between post-hardcore, metalcore, some melodic hardcore, some pop-punk, and a few others that are basically almost the same thing at times. That said, REALLY hope this could happen because I feel like between me, Rocky, Gowi, meruizh, and some others, we could blow that one out of the park, and it definitely feels like not all of this site have found the post-hardcore they're into yet.

Anywho ... this summer if it hasn't gotten there yet I may just post something on California punk rock as it's apparently not even important enough for Repo to mention ... come on Dad!

Also, just on Eyezayzay's points, I would argue that this whole thing is to get more diverse. Do I like country? Do I like IDM? For years I'd said no, but at this point, I think it's fair to say that it's hard for me to find what I like of those genres, and that it must be out there. I don't think that there is any genre that anyone will 100% hate.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/03/2014 01:52
  • Post subject:
That's because post-hardcore encompassed art punk, metalcore, emocore, screamo, mathcore, pop-rock, pop-punk, noise rock, art rock, and a mess of other genres and styles. I think it's the most warped convoluted movement/scene out there that I've had the pleasure of reading about and listening to. I would not particularly enjoy covering it, but depends on the communication of the users involved.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/03/2014 02:29
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
Anywho ... this summer if it hasn't gotten there yet I may just post something on California punk rock as it's apparently not even important enough for Repo to mention ... come on Dad!

Haha! California/Vancouver punk is actually my favorite! You should know that son! Very Happy
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2014 02:49
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Haha! California/Vancouver punk is actually my favorite! You should know that son! Very Happy

Then why didn't you show me Vancouver punk? Why don't I know any?

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website