Rank The Director (Coen Brothers)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Who's filmography should be ranked next?
Ingmar Bergman
4%
 4%  [2]
Jean-Luc Godard
7%
 7%  [3]
The Coen Brothers
21%
 21%  [9]
Wes Anderson
14%
 14%  [6]
Tarkovsky
14%
 14%  [6]
Martin Scorsese
12%
 12%  [5]
Linklater
2%
 2%  [1]
David Fincher
2%
 2%  [1]
Hitchcock
9%
 9%  [4]
Woody Allen
9%
 9%  [4]
Total Votes : 41

undefined

• Posted: 11/03/2015 18:59
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I'm not even going to attempt anything but this. My brain simply doesn't know how to interpret 90% of what Applerill says

I feel like I'm slowly learning to speak Charlie. I think when mentioning Costa's boom(x3) he's mostly referring to his latest, which is surreal enough to represent the booms
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/03/2015 19:03
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
I feel like I'm slowly learning to speak Charlie. I think when mentioning Costa's boom(x3) he's mostly referring to his latest, which is surreal enough to represent the booms

Hey, Colossal Youth is pretty crazy too.

I mostly think it's the long takes, though.

I think that Film Crit Hulk "tangible details" thing may explain another part of it, though. As a sophomoric film nerd, I can watch something with long takes or crazy editing and "get" what makes it special really quickly; with the Coens or Spielberg, on the other hand, their genius seems much more subtle (think about how easy it is to dismiss The Big Lebowski as a dumb stoner movie on first viewing, only to realize its nigh-unparalleled depth on second or third viewing). I think I mostly understood A Serious Man on first viewing, but the way the Coens communicate sometimes is 2deep4me (Godard and Snow, on the other hand, are like macaroni and cheese for me.).

Last edited by Applerill on 11/03/2015 19:06; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 11/03/2015 19:04
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I don't want this to seem like I'm bagging on the Coens, because I know they deserve all the praise they get. I just don't know if they're "my thing", just as I've realized Bob Dylan isn't "my thing".

i mean, i'm vaguely gathering that your beef with the Coens is that they're middle-brow (or maybe that's just a projection of my rationalizing of my own boredom when presented with their material), but i guess i just think that describing art as "not middle-brow" is the kind of bizarre turning of phrase that makes your genuinely interesting ideas melt into air when they come up against disagreement. i also feel like i'm missing something, because Ozu isn't middle-brow, and Tarantino is hyperactive in his presentation, but you dislike both of them? i'm not asking you these questions to goad you, just to better understand and maybe critique your usage of this catch-all term that makes it hard to interact with the content that you put forward, which tends to be impressive if a bit monolithic, regardless of the artform.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/03/2015 19:08
  • Post subject:
[quote="Satie"]Tarantino is hyperactive in his presentation,/quote]

Hey, I love Tarantino (and was planning to watch The Hateful Eight with my mommy this New Years <3). Any lack of obsession I have for him is probably just overexposure (and the "tangible details" thing too, because his symbolism can be shockingly subtle at times).
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 11/03/2015 19:12
  • Post subject:
gonna quickly interrupt this study of Charlie's film philosophy for my list

films ranked by degree of booms

Barton Fink (this one got at least 5 or 6 booms tbh)
The Big Lebowski
Fargo
A Serious Man
O Brother Where Art Thou?
No Country For Old Men
Miller's Crossing
Inside Llewyn Davis
Burn After Reading
The Lady Killers
True Grit
Raising Arizona

haven't seen the others
Satie

• Posted: 11/03/2015 19:15
  • Post subject:
i think i get boom boom boom a little better, though i really dislike it as a model for the evaluation of art. then again, any paradigm that calls Korine and Tarantino anything more than adolescent postmodernist hacks and leaves Ozu out of its pantheon isn't gonna sit right with me. thanks for sharing, Charlie.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/03/2015 19:15
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:

Barton Fink (this one got at least 5 or 6 booms tbh)
s

I really should watch Barton Fink again. I was quasi-turned off on first viewing by how dark it was, but now I completely see why people worship it (and why I should, too).

I would love to see what you think of The Hudsucker Proxy, DBZ. It's probably the most love-it-or-hate-it movie the Coens have made.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 11/03/2015 19:16
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I would love to see what you think of The Hudsucker Proxy, DBZ. It's probably the most love-it-or-hate-it movie the Coens have made.

I'll definitely get to it soon enough. Will be sure to post my thoughts here somewhere
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/03/2015 19:21
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
i think i get boom boom boom a little better, though i really dislike it as a model for the evaluation of art.

That's the thing: I don't mean it as a way of "evaluating art" (at least not in an "objective" sense, forgive me for using the term). I thought this thread (and, to a lesser extent, my RYM ratings) was about personal enjoyment, and that's all I was meaning to measure. Devin Faraci often makes a distinction between art he respects and art he enjoys (the latter of which normally skews towards blockbusters and genre films), and I guess I'm trying to make the same distinction. I wasn't at all questioning their place in the canon.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 11/03/2015 19:24
  • Post subject:
when i say evaluation of art, i mean in a subjective sense, too. i have always argued for decentralized art discourse that doesn't seek to democratize and synthesize some sort of "canon." i think it's an exercise in futility at best and marketing at worst. "objective" canons are formed by (self-)promotion and little else. i was just indulgently stating my opinion of your lens of analysis.