BEA's Best Films of The 60's [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/11/2016 21:03
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

But yeah, breaks in between decades charts would be fine, let's just try to go down to the 30s, then maybe do pre-1930 as a whole (unless a lot of us can claim to have seen enough films from the 1910s to separate it from the 20s - I know I haven't)

Yeah... I actually thought about doing pre-40's as a whole in order to have a quality top 100. You might be right about having the 30's as a separate decade though.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2016 21:46
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
The Apartment in the top 10 and Charulata making the list were my favorite parts. Also, yeah, I wish Persona had beat out 2001, but that's the way it crumbles - cookie-wise.

Nice touch, Merc.

badseed wrote:
Fantastic. Everything here is great. Like I said before, there's so much quality from all across the board. I can't even think of any major omissions off the top of my head aside from about a few Robert Wise movies, two of which were named runners up.

I agree this list is terrific, a reminder of how far behind I am on '60s cinema (I much prefer the '40s and '50s). There are several iconic '60s films I haven't seen, but there is one I have seen that I am astonished did not make the Top 100. I am talking about The Manchurian Candidate. How did it not make it? Had too few survey-takers seen it, or were they drunk and forgot? The Manchurian Candidate is Cold War espionage thriller at its best. On top of suspense, it's thought-provoking, ambiguous, much deeper than your average thriller. And the nightmare scene in the beginning is one of the most creatively brilliant scenes ever filmed. Other than that, the only other major omission that I could see was Knife in the Water, but that's more understandable.

Overall, great list, perhaps the best one yet. Though I'm looking forward to the '50s one. Billy Wilder, Alfred Hitchcock, and Otto Preminger in their prime. Film-noir was strong in the early part of the decade. Plus early films from Kubrick and Lumet that are among the decade's best. The '50s list should be awesome.

I agree with Mercury to keep going with decade polls. '50s, '40s, '30s, and then let's say Silent Era. I agree with badseed that separate '20s and '10s lists doesn't make sense.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2016 10:13
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
badseed wrote:

But yeah, breaks in between decades charts would be fine, let's just try to go down to the 30s, then maybe do pre-1930 as a whole (unless a lot of us can claim to have seen enough films from the 1910s to separate it from the 20s - I know I haven't)

Yeah... I actually thought about doing pre-40's as a whole in order to have a quality top 100. You might be right about having the 30's as a separate decade though.

The 30s most definitely deserves its own top 100. You've got plenty of Capra, Cukor, Stevens, Hawks, Ford, Wyler, Renoir, Lang, von Sternberg, some Ozu, Bunuel, Lubitsch, Dreyer, the comedies of the Marx Brothers Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy, the musicals of Astaire and Rogers, the WB gangster classics, the Universal horror classics, the rise of Bogart, Grant, Stewart, Tracy, Cooper, Hepburn, Davis, Garbo, etc. That's just off the top of my head.

Everything pre-30s could be considered "the silent era" (although there were a few talkies during the last few years I personally haven't seen any that would make my top 100). And we could still get a decent list there too. Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd, von Stroheim, Griffith, Vidor, Lang, Murnau, Dreyer, de Mille, the Lon Chaney horror films, Valentino and Fairbanks, Clara Bow and Mary Pickford...
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/12/2016 13:53
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Hayden wrote:
badseed wrote:

The 30s most definitely deserves its own top 100. You've got plenty of Capra, Cukor, Stevens, Hawks, Ford, Wyler, Renoir, Lang, von Sternberg, some Ozu, Bunuel, Lubitsch, Dreyer, the comedies of the Marx Brothers Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy, the musicals of Astaire and Rogers, the WB gangster classics, the Universal horror classics, the rise of Bogart, Grant, Stewart, Tracy, Cooper, Hepburn, Davis, Garbo, etc. That's just off the top of my head.

Everything pre-30s could be considered "the silent era" (although there were a few talkies during the last few years I personally haven't seen any that would make my top 100). And we could still get a decent list there too. Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd, von Stroheim, Griffith, Vidor, Lang, Murnau, Dreyer, de Mille, the Lon Chaney horror films, Valentino and Fairbanks, Clara Bow and Mary Pickford...

Also, for all the new lists, the 25< minute rule will apply, not the 40<.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2016 19:24
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
badseed wrote:
Hayden wrote:
badseed wrote:

Un Chien Andelou for the win! Maybe not but probably in my top 10 of the 20s. That Bunuel guy, what a weirdo.
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 04/12/2016 19:34
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Whem it gets to 30s and older, I really don't think it'd be fair to impose a rule restricting shorts. You'd be wiping out some of the most important and influential films in history.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2016 00:05
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:
Whem it gets to 30s and older, I really don't think it'd be fair to impose a rule restricting shorts. You'd be wiping out some of the most important and influential films in history.

I was kinda thinking the same, for stuff like A Trip to the Moon, The Great Train Robbery, etc. But can we really justify lowering the limit again? Or should we just eventually do a list for shorts?
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 04/13/2016 00:42
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
I was kinda thinking the same, for stuff like A Trip to the Moon, The Great Train Robbery, etc. But can we really justify lowering the limit again? Or should we just eventually do a list for shorts?

I'm not saying lower the limit, I'm saying abolish it. To restrict shorts at this point would be to ignore their impact on cinema in the early years. Shorts are every bit as vital as the features from the 30s and ealier.

A Trip to the Moon, Arrival of a Train, Dreams of a Rarebit Fiend, freakin' Un Chien Andalou... If shorts aren't allowed then there's no way I could participate.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2016 01:29
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:
I'm not saying lower the limit, I'm saying abolish it. To restrict shorts at this point would be to ignore their impact on cinema in the early years. Shorts are every bit as vital as the features from the 30s and ealier.

A Trip to the Moon, Arrival of a Train, Dreams of a Rarebit Fiend, freakin' Un Chien Andalou... If shorts aren't allowed then there's no way I could participate.

Can't say I wouldn't participate but aside from that I agree. Point made.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/13/2016 23:41
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
There's a good bit of other stuff I love from then, but this will still be an uphill battle for me. John Lennon once said regarding music history that "Before Elvis, there was nothing", and even though we all know that's bullshit, replacing "Elvis" with "Breathless"

Yeah, it is; and yes, it shouldn't ever be said because it is dismissive nonsense that is especially ignorant senselessness.
  • Visit poster's website