Polythene Pam

• Posted: 06/09/2011 13:36
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
where in NZ are you from, Pam?

Wellington, Best city over here Cool

Have you been?

Or is it to do with uni?

(I think I remember you mentioning something)
purple

• Posted: 06/09/2011 13:42
  • Post subject:
No, my thesis advisor just got back from Christchurch a couple weeks ago, he's been telling me stories about what they were doing in the field, the quake that destroyed that city's downtown, etc. And what is uni?
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 06/09/2011 13:44
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
No, my thesis advisor just got back from Christchurch a couple weeks ago, he's been telling me stories about what they were doing in the field, the quake that destroyed that city's downtown, etc. And what is uni?

University

So yeah I guess it was what you were talking about

Over here we have primary school

Then College (high school for you guys)

Then University (or College for you guys)
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 06/10/2011 07:55
  • Post subject:
Went to the North Island for our honeymoon.

Will go back and experience the south soon.

Bought a Split Enz album and The Earlybirds album while I was there.
  • Visit poster's website
Chemical Smile

Guatemala

• Posted: 06/10/2011 09:44
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Polythene Pam wrote:
It's strange and sad that most of us have a reasonably good understanding of American and British music and then our own particular country (provided you are not from the main two) and then not much else.

Having said that, not much music is made here that I like and the "Classic" New Zealand albums are awful

What are some examples of classic New Zealand albums? Might check some out for fun Smile

Being a kiwi myself, i can't agree with the statement about classic NZ albums being awful! During the 90's there was a huge variety of different types of music - bands/artisits that had they been in either UK or US would have been very popular, but given that NZ is a small country and there wasn't much money in the music industry most of these groups never broke out of their home country - some not even getting nation airplay even. I think the last 10 years more and more NZ bands/artists have broken out onto the international circuit and found some success.
Some of my favourite music is from 80's/90's NZ bands, if anyone's interested, i defnitely recommend the following:

Straitjacket Fits - from Dunedin, 1986-94. This is one of those bands that had they been English or American would have been huge. They had some international success, but not as much as they deserve - check out "Life In One Chord", "She Speeds" and the amazingly beautiful "Down in Splendour"

Garageland - from Auckland, 1994-2001. Their debut album is on my chart and continues to be one of my favourites of all time.

Bailterspace - from Christchurch, 1987-2001. Noisy shoe-gaze of My Bloody Valentine with the poppier side of Sonic Youth. The loudest band I have ever seen live! From wikipedia: "When they played at the same size venue as Motörhead they required four extra P.A. sound systems".
Best songs are 'X', 'Splat', 'Retro'

Shihad - Wellington, 1988- . Easily NZ's biggest and best band. Well known for their live sets - easily the best live band i've ever seen. They have also changed their style from album to album, first 2 albums are very heavy/industrial to more poppy rock of the 3rd. To hear them live, check out their live album "Pacifier Live".

Others worth checking out:

Indie/Rock/Punk
Weta
Superette
Stereobus/JPS Experience
The Bats
The Clean
Split Enz
Toy Love
Exponents
The Feelers
Head Like A Hole
Mutton Birds
Phoenix Foundation
Supergroove

Solo Artists
Chris Knox
Dave Dobbin
Tin Finn
Bic Runga
Liam Finn
Anika Moa

Drum+Bass/Dub/Electronic
Fat Freddys Drop
Salmonella Dub
Shapeshifter
Pitch Black
Concord Dawn
State Of Mind
MT Eden Dubstep
Strawpeople

Reggae/Roots
Black Seeds
Katchafire
Kora
Rhombus
Trinity Roots
Unity Pacific

Hip Hop
Scribe
King Kapisi
Che Fu
Deceptikonz

There, I've done my bit... Anxious
Chemical Smile

Guatemala

• Posted: 06/10/2011 09:56
  • Post subject:
a few youtube videos:

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Polythene Pam

• Posted: 06/11/2011 14:26
  • Post subject:
Chemical Smile wrote:
Hayden wrote:
Polythene Pam wrote:
It's strange and sad that most of us have a reasonably good understanding of American and British music and then our own particular country (provided you are not from the main two) and then not much else.

Having said that, not much music is made here that I like and the "Classic" New Zealand albums are awful

What are some examples of classic New Zealand albums? Might check some out for fun Smile

Being a kiwi myself, i can't agree with the statement about classic NZ albums being awful! During the 90's there was a huge variety of different types of music - bands/artisits that had they been in either UK or US would have been very popular, but given that NZ is a small country and there wasn't much money in the music industry most of these groups never broke out of their home country - some not even getting nation airplay even. I think the last 10 years more and more NZ bands/artists have broken out onto the international circuit and found some success.
Some of my favourite music is from 80's/90's NZ bands, if anyone's interested, i defnitely recommend the following:

Straitjacket Fits - from Dunedin, 1986-94. This is one of those bands that had they been English or American would have been huge. They had some international success, but not as much as they deserve - check out "Life In One Chord", "She Speeds" and the amazingly beautiful "Down in Splendour"

Garageland - from Auckland, 1994-2001. Their debut album is on my chart and continues to be one of my favourites of all time.

Bailterspace - from Christchurch, 1987-2001. Noisy shoe-gaze of My Bloody Valentine with the poppier side of Sonic Youth. The loudest band I have ever seen live! From wikipedia: "When they played at the same size venue as Motörhead they required four extra P.A. sound systems".
Best songs are 'X', 'Splat', 'Retro'

Shihad - Wellington, 1988- . Easily NZ's biggest and best band. Well known for their live sets - easily the best live band i've ever seen. They have also changed their style from album to album, first 2 albums are very heavy/industrial to more poppy rock of the 3rd. To hear them live, check out their live album "Pacifier Live".

Others worth checking out:

Indie/Rock/Punk
Weta
Superette Sad
Stereobus/JPS Experience
The Bats
The Clean
Split Enz Sad
Toy Love
Exponents Sad
The Feelers Sad
Head Like A Hole Sad
Mutton Birds Sad
Phoenix Foundation Smile
Supergroove Sad

Solo Artists
Chris Knox Sad
Dave Dobbin Sad Sad Evil or Very Mad Mad
Tin Finn Sad
Bic Runga Smile
Liam Finn Sad
Anika Moa Sad

Drum+Bass/Dub/Electronic
Fat Freddys Drop Cool
Salmonella Dub Smile
Shapeshifter Sad
Pitch Black
Concord Dawn Smile
State Of Mind
MT Eden Dubstep Evil or Very Mad
Strawpeople

Reggae/Roots
Black Seeds Sad
Katchafire Smile
Kora Sad
Rhombus Sad
Trinity Roots Sad
Unity Pacific Sad

Hip Hop
Scribe Evil or Very Mad
King Kapisi
Che Fu Sad
Deceptikonz

There, I've done my bit... Anxious

Just my thoughts

Well you certinaly listen to more NZ music than me Very Happy

I only like Bailterspace (and not that much) form the paragraph bands though

And I guess the emoticons speak for themselves

Still for a list of NZ bands/artists to checkout this is very good Very Happy
Wombi

• Posted: 06/11/2011 17:38
  • Post subject:
also saw the Ruby Suns live once and they're a pretty great NZ band.
Link
lancashirearab
A Porky Prime Cut

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/11/2012 16:48
  • Post subject:
I have bumped this old topic because I feel that I have a strong affection to Scottish bands in comparison to other UK bands. I have asked the mods to consider splitting the UK nationality into one each for the 4 home nations. What do you
think? My charts have a heavy weighting towards Scottish bands in relation to Scotland's small population. It would be nice to be able to show that on the site.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website