Beck
Can
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2011 00:08
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
I know they're a less obvious choice, but I think Queen definitely deserves some consideration here. I mean, I think they were by far the most consistent band through the 70s and 80s. Yes, there were bands that were bigger than them in both decades, but I'm not sure there were any bands that were bigger than them in the 70s who were also bigger than them in the 80s. Even I will admit that several of their albums are far from perfect, but with the possible exception of Rush I would have to say that no other band was as consistent as them for as long as them.

Bruce comes to mind as a contender to Queen on that one (bigger in 70's and also bigger in 80's), although personally I'd say Queen was the better of the two in the 70's and Bruce the better in the 80's. AC/DC might also be considered here. None of the three has a perfect catalog though. Queen have Hot Space and arguably A Day at the Races, Bruce has Human Touch and Lucky Town, AC/DC have For Those About to Rock and Fly on the Wall.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/24/2011 05:47
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
swedenman wrote:
I know they're a less obvious choice, but I think Queen definitely deserves some consideration here. I mean, I think they were by far the most consistent band through the 70s and 80s. Yes, there were bands that were bigger than them in both decades, but I'm not sure there were any bands that were bigger than them in the 70s who were also bigger than them in the 80s. Even I will admit that several of their albums are far from perfect, but with the possible exception of Rush I would have to say that no other band was as consistent as them for as long as them.

Bruce comes to mind as a contender to Queen on that one (bigger in 70's and also bigger in 80's), although personally I'd say Queen was the better of the two in the 70's and Bruce the better in the 80's. AC/DC might also be considered here. None of the three has a perfect catalog though. Queen have Hot Space and arguably A Day at the Races, Bruce has Human Touch and Lucky Town, AC/DC have For Those About to Rock and Fly on the Wall.

You really think A Day at the Races was their worst next to Hot Space? I'd probably put ADATR above everything they did in the 80s and most of what they did in the 70s (ANATO and Sheer Heart Attack being obvious exceptions).

But of those three Queen was by far the best, in my opinion, but that's mostly because I can't stand Bruce and because, in my opinion, AC/DC was just good, not great. They're all definitely contenders in terms of popularity, though.
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2011 06:03
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Bork wrote:
swedenman wrote:

You really think A Day at the Races was their worst next to Hot Space? I'd probably put ADATR above everything they did in the 80s and most of what they did in the 70s (ANATO and Sheer Heart Attack being obvious exceptions).

But of those three Queen was by far the best, in my opinion, but that's mostly because I can't stand Bruce and because, in my opinion, AC/DC was just good, not great. They're all definitely contenders in terms of popularity, though.

I have A Night at the Opera as their second and Sheer Heart Attack as their fifth (Jazz #1, News #3, I #4). Queen II is arguably less good than ADATR. Neither is bad but not on the same level as their great work. Either way, Hot Space (while not as awful as some claim) is enough to keep them from a perfect catalog. Also, Queen may be one of the best bands if you look at their total output but they never really made a masterpiece album, just very good stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 12/24/2011 06:37
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
swedenman wrote:
Bork wrote:
swedenman wrote:

I have A Night at the Opera as their second and Sheer Heart Attack as their fifth (Jazz #1, News #3, I #4). Queen II is arguably less good than ADATR. Neither is bad but not on the same level as their great work. Either way, Hot Space (while not as awful as some claim) is enough to keep them from a perfect catalog. Also, Queen may be one of the best bands if you look at their total output but they never really made a masterpiece album, just very good stuff.

There's no way Queen has a 'perfect catalogue'. Mediocre albums include Queen I, Innuendo, Hot Space and personally I didn't like 'News' at all, but others seem to like it.
What's more, they don't really have a perfect album to begin with, just a couple of really good ones.

Also, I agree, Jazz and A Night At The Opera would be their most outstanding works, but Jazz has a couple of throwaway tracks ("Fun It", "Let Me Entertain You") that stop it from entering my chart, and ANATO has "Sweet Lady" and "Good Company". I actually have A Kind Of Magic as their second best atm because it's just so enjoyable.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 12/24/2011 07:01
  • Post subject:
Some great mentions already (LCD Soundsystem, Jo Newsom - the 6 albums between those 2 are all modern classics) but for me personally, the person with the closest to that non-existent "perfect" catalogue is Kanye West. 5 albums in 7 years and all of them exceptional. All of them unique from each other while at the same time expanding and changing the genre he worked in. Yea I know almost no one is gonna agree with me.
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2011 07:03
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Yea I know almost no one is gonna agree with me.

Only because you are wrong again. Still. Have a Merry Christmas. You guys are first to it.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 12/24/2011 07:06
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
Jhereko wrote:

Only because you are wrong again. Still. Have a Merry Christmas. You guys are first to it.

Don't give me the ole "patpatstab" k that ain't nice. What do you mean "again"?
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2011 07:07
  • Post subject:
Xavygravy wrote:
There's no way Queen has a 'perfect catalogue'. Mediocre albums include Queen I, Innuendo, Hot Space and personally I didn't like 'News' at all, but others seem to like it.
What's more, they don't really have a perfect album to begin with, just a couple of really good ones.

Also, I agree, Jazz and A Night At The Opera would be their most outstanding works, but Jazz has a couple of throwaway tracks ("Fun It", "Let Me Entertain You") that stop it from entering my chart, and ANATO has "Sweet Lady" and "Good Company". I actually have A Kind Of Magic as their second best atm because it's just so enjoyable.

Same here. No Queen on my top 100 although I do consider them a great band. In addition to Fun It and Let Me Entertain You, Leaving Home Ain't Easy and More of That Jazz pull Jazz down a tad too much to warrant a chart entry. On ANATO I like Good Company but there are a handful of less than great tracks on it, including Sweet Lady.
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2011 07:08
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Bork wrote:
Jhereko wrote:

Don't give me the ole "patpatstab" k that ain't nice. What do you mean "again"?

Are you telling me you've never been wrong before?

EDIT: And technically it was a stabpatpat.
  • Visit poster's website