CLOSED - Post-Punk/New Wave Artist Tournament - Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Posted: 04/25/2013 23:23
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
Honestly if people want me to change them I will, I was just playing according to rules Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I mean if it isn't against the rules (which Harkan would be able to clear up, though I don't think it is) then it would be unfair of anyone to ask you to change them, and I certainly don't want to come across as some elitist "they're not real post-punk" douche. But I was quite looking forward to a tournament without artists such as Arcade Fire and The Strokes. I just think that given the average age of the forum users these days (probably about three years younger than it was at this point last year), not to mention seemingly everyone's obsession with Arcade Fire, that they'll probably do quite well, and I think that would be a shame in a post-punk and new wave tournament. I've honestly never thought of either of those bands as "post-punk" or "new wave". The fact is that they'd probably beat 90% of the other bands in this tournament who are actually "post-punk" or "new wave" artists. I guess I can see the argument for The Strokes being post-punk or new wave (they certainly share similarities with bands such as Television or The Cars), even if I'd never choose to describe them as that, but Arcade Fire? Really? I don't see them as any more a "post-punk" band than some of an_outlaw's misguided nominations.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States
  • Posted: 04/25/2013 23:25
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
I mean if it isn't against the rules (which Harkan would be able to clear up, though I don't think it is) then it would be unfair of anyone to ask you to change them, and I certainly don't want to come across as some elitist "they're not real post-punk" douche. But I was quite looking forward to a tournament without artists such as Arcade Fire and The Strokes. I just think that given the average age of the forum users these days (probably about three years younger than it was at this point last year), not to mention seemingly everyone's obsession with Arcade Fire, that they'll probably do quite well, and I think that would be a shame in a post-punk and new wave tournament. I've honestly never thought of either of those bands as "post-punk" or "new wave". The fact is that they'd probably beat 90% of the other bands in this tournament who are actually "post-punk" or "new wave" artists. I guess I can see the argument for The Strokes being post-punk or new wave (they certainly share similarities with bands such as Television or The Cars), even if I'd never choose to describe them as that, but Arcade Fire? Really? I don't see them as any more a "post-punk" band than some of an_outlaw's misguided nominations.

I agree with everyone of your points, I'm just gonna play it safe and change them, I'll edit the post after I decide what I'll change them to, sorry I I upset anybody, I'm gonna go live under a rock now.
  • Visit poster's website
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States
  • Posted: 04/25/2013 23:31
  • Post subject:
Aright, tell me if this is okay

The Stone Roses
The Unicorns
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru
  • Posted: 04/25/2013 23:31
  • Post subject:
Um, since Jason isn't coming around the forums anymore can I steal Men At Work from him?
  • Visit poster's website
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States
  • Posted: 04/25/2013 23:56
  • Post subject:
ATTENTION:

Purple wishes to temporarily come back from the grave and nominate Women, as well as The Soft Moon.

That is all.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 04/26/2013 00:02
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
Aright, tell me if this is okay

The Stone Roses
The Unicorns

Honestly, and this is going to sound like I have a vendetta (but trust me, I don't), I don't regard either of those bands as "post-punk" or "new wave". Admittedly I've only heard Who Will Cut Our Hair...? by The Unicorns, so they may have some other stuff that you could categorize as "post-punk" that I haven't heard, but that album certainly doesn't fall under either definition for me. That said, it doesn't bother me because - and this is going to sound a bit douchey and dismissive - they aren't going to win, and they're a pretty good band (from what I've heard) who some people might find out about through this tournament, so in that sense I have no issue with their involvement, and they are listed as "post-punk revival" on Wikipedia so it wouldn't be breaking any rules as far as I can tell. As for The Stone Roses? Just no. Aside from 'So Young', I can't think of one Stone Roses song to which either of those terms apply. Then again, others might disagree. To a certain extent they just sort of re-appropriated the sound of Orange Juice (that's an oversimplification, and a pretty harsh one at that, but I'm trying to make an argument for them being post-punk here for your sake), who are a band I nominated myself and whom I certainly class as post-punk. I guess I have no real problem with either of those nominations, certainly no more than I have a problem with some of the others (see: Pit, Passion; Valentine, My Bloody), and they're an improvement on Arcade Fire at least. "Post-punk" is a pretty inclusive term, and there are tons of different bands of numerous different styles and sounds that fit under its huge umbrella. I definitely prefer these two nominations to your last two, and if Harkan sees no problem with it then I don't either. I hope I'm not coming across like I'm shooting down everything you say, or that I'm being a douche, or that there's anything personal in anything I've said whatsoever, because I can assure you there isn't. I've never referred to any of the four bands you've nominated in the last couple of pages "post-punk" or "new wave" (although the closest of the four to either of those terms, in my opinion, is The Strokes), but it's not as though I'm any sort of authority on which bands belong to which genres (hell, I don't even class Death Grips as hip-hop, which probably says everything you need to know about my arguably questionable (in)ability to accurately categorize artists). Anyway, I much prefer both those nominations to your last two, and I don't think it would be a shame to see them in the tournament. Thanks for taking everyone's words about Arcade Fire into account. I just think that their involvement would make for a considerably less interesting tournament. Now I'm off to sit in a corner and try, in vain, to convince myself that I'm not an elitist prick.
undefined
  • Posted: 04/26/2013 00:03
  • Post subject:
Still accepting nominations?

Franz Ferdinand
Interpol
The Rapture
Mission of Burma
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru
  • Posted: 04/26/2013 00:22
  • Post subject:
I'd like to nominate the Beatles because they're proto-post-punk and without them there'd be no music at all, including post punk and new wave.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada
  • Posted: 04/26/2013 00:59
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Franz Ferdinand
Interpol

......wut

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/