Are you really giving all music the same chance?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
kramerfan86

United States
  • Posted: 04/28/2013 04:34
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
While this is true, I think it's fair to have a bias against a certain genre. For example, I generally don't like country. I'm willing to give any country artist a try before I write them off as shit, but I'm not exactly going to go out of my way to find all of the country artists I would actually enjoy.
Pretty much my stance as well. If someone I know recommends strongly an artist from outside of my preferred comfort zones Ill give it a try, but at the same time Im not going to spend my time mining through genres I dont care much for. Sure there might be a small handful of artists buried in there I like, but there is finite time so it makes far more sense to explore areas with much higher probabilities for success.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal
  • Posted: 04/28/2013 04:37
  • Post subject:
kramerfan86 wrote:
Pretty much my stance as well. If someone I know recommends strongly an artist from outside of my preferred comfort zones Ill give it a try, but at the same time Im not going to spend my time mining through genres I dont care much for. Sure there might be a small handful of artists buried in there I like, but there is finite time so it makes far more sense to explore areas with much higher probabilities for success.

Used to say that until i actively started mining through genres I hated, just saying!
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada
  • Posted: 04/28/2013 09:11
  • Post subject:
There are about 4000 overall charts on BEA and about 1400 of them have ok computer on them. That's 35% of overall charts. 35% of every chart on this whole site have ok computer on them. That may seem like a hell of a lot and thats becuause it is. Hahaha is that greatness or hive mind you tell me

I wonder what the stats are for the Beatles or radiohead as bands. 70%? 80??
  • Visit poster's website
CaptainFicus

United States
  • Posted: 04/28/2013 09:18
  • Post subject: Re: Are you really giving all music the same chance?
an_outlaw wrote:
Hey, I think there are musical prejudices going on. Some people are fearful or fear liking certain albums because how others might perceive them. They won't admit to liking them or have them as "guilty pleasures". They listen to albums they don't like over 5 times and still insist on giving them more listens because they don't "get them" or "understand" them yet. At the same time, they rate albums very poorly which they have yet to even listen to once! Shocked Sometimes they may have heard one or two hit singles. These umbrellas called "indie" and "alternative" have many snobs.

It is 2013. This is not a BEA thing, this is everywhere. Music has too much people who take themselves too seriously. So much people are so stuck up with their "Art". Their musical "diversity". Their "ambient" nonsense.

Lighten up Shame on you

It is music.

I actually agree with this. I still like albums by bands like Yellowcard and Sum 41 even though they don't recieve any praise in the music loving crowd XD
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 04/28/2013 09:19
  • Post subject: Re: Are you really giving all music the same chance?
an_outlaw wrote:
It is 2013. This is not a BEA thing, this is everywhere. Music has too much people who take themselves too seriously. So much people are so stuck up with their "Art". Their musical "diversity". Their "ambient" nonsense.

Lighten up Shame on you

It is music.

By saying that aren't you not giving 'art' and 'ambient' music a chance?

This thread seems so contradictory, it should be called 'Are you really giving the music I like the same chance?".

We all think that.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 04/28/2013 11:51
  • Post subject:
thursdayeno wrote:
nearly everyone is bad

thursdayeno wrote:
what the masses listen to

I'm not pretentious or elitist I swear! Loool

I reckon everyone is biased when it comes to music but mostly that's just because of what they like and what they don't. A lot of people have said how they try to give unfamiliar genres a chance but I don't even bother with that. There's so much music out there from genres I like, I don't really feel obliged to listen to intolerable metal albums, just so I can say I've given them a chance, I already know I'm not going to like it (well, 99% sure).

I don't think Outlaw is being completely crazy/wrong here either. I think everyone to some extent or another considers factors (mostly involuntarily) besides the music they're listening to when deciding whether they like it or not. Popular opinion, or critical opinion probably does play a part when people decide whether they like something or not even though most of us won't admit it. Like, if a bunch of awful people I know are into some artist, I'm probably less likely to give it a fair chance compared to say, if an album is highly rated by kids whose opinion on these things I value. This goes way beyond just music too.

Outlaw is probably as guilty of this as everyone else though so there's no need for the condescension.
  • Posted: 04/28/2013 14:47
  • Post subject:
Nobody likes the same music I do. They must be elitist assholes. Wah wah wah wah wah.
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2013 16:17
  • Post subject:
There have actually been many instances where I have tried to close the door on specific types of music. Being someone who loves music above pretty much everything, this bothers me. And what I have discovered in many cases is that the reason why I don't like certian things is because I haven't given it a real chance, or I haven't listened to it with a seriously open mind. I've been told to not bother trying because I shouldn't waste time trying to force myself to like something I don't like...but I have found that simply isn't true (for me, anyway).

I think that there's something in all types of music for me. Getting my sometimes stubborn mind to allow for that can be a challenge, but more often than not, my patience has been rewarded. Hanging out here has helped me with this more than anything else I've ever done. I have had difficult times getting into things (hip hop, for example). I have come to know myself well enough that if I can take down that STATEMENT inside of my head that says "I don't like hip hop" and really give it a chance, that I can start finding those things about it that I do like, and I can start building an appreciation for that music. I cannot honestly say that I completely get hip hop, and maybe I never will. Who knows? But I DO have a growing appreciation for it. I can listen to it with an open mind and learn about it. Had I taken the advice that said to not bother, I'd be missing out. And I really don't want to miss out on any positive music experiences.

I don't know...it's hard for me to articulate all of this, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say. More now than at any time in my life, I am finding that I can at least be open to pretty much everything I hear. And I'm finding that being able to do so is a damn happy place for me.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 04/28/2013 16:22
  • Post subject:
I think the thread should be renamed to "Are you really giving MSP/Kate Bush/Sparks/Rush/Dead Kennedys/Billy Talent the same chance?"

Last edited by Guest on 04/28/2013 16:38; edited 1 time in total
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 04/28/2013 16:24
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
I think the thread should be renamed to "Are you really giving MSP/Kate Bush/Sparks/Rush/Dead Kennedys/Billy Talent the same chance?

I'd just like to say that Dead Kennedys are the shit.
  • Visit poster's website