Anybody want to start a music blog?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 10/15/2013 03:22
  • Post subject:
I think all of us bring something interesting here. It would be nice to read these reviews, especially from such a breadth of people.

I mean, you give me For Emma Forever Ago or Airborne Toxic Event or Foiled or Bon Iver, Bon Iver, I can list off what just about all the symbolism in each song is.

Give me Hospice and I will write an article struggling to find positivity.

But I'm sure you spin that and find someone who finds FEFA totally bland and full of uniqueness. They're wrong for not seeing it, but maybe I'm wrong for missing something in Hospice, too.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA
  • Posted: 10/15/2013 14:46
  • Post subject:
i'll read it every day
  • Visit poster's website
imnotanotter
  • Posted: 10/15/2013 16:26
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
I mean, you give me For Emma Forever Ago or Airborne Toxic Event or Foiled or Bon Iver, Bon Iver, I can list off what just about all the symbolism in each song is.

Give me Hospice and I will write an article struggling to find positivity.

But I'm sure you spin that and find someone who finds FEFA totally bland and full of uniqueness. They're wrong for not seeing it, but maybe I'm wrong for missing something in Hospice, too.

You'd have to look a lot harder for deeper meaning in a Blue October record than Hospice.. Glad you could find it though.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 10/15/2013 21:20
  • Post subject:
I know this doesn't really fit with the new theme of the blog... But..

I am still wondering about a 'from the vaults' kind of thing! Don't think it has to be a regular feature, but he old stuff has such an influence on the new it would be good to honour some 'lost treasures' on the way! Ultimately the kind of things I am thinking about would be 'new' to most people anyway!

Whadya think?
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru
  • Posted: 10/15/2013 21:40
  • Post subject:
Mancsoulsister wrote:
I know this doesn't really fit with the new theme of the blog... But..

I am still wondering about a 'from the vaults' kind of thing! Don't think it has to be a regular feature, but he old stuff has such an influence on the new it would be good to honour some 'lost treasures' on the way! Ultimately the kind of things I am thinking about would be 'new' to most people anyway!

Whadya think?

I agree it would be interesting to see older music, as long as it isn't the same old same old. I mean, people probably don't need any more Rolling Stones or Beatles reviews in their lives, but some might enjoy an occasional review of a few lesser known great albums.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 10/15/2013 22:15
  • Post subject:
imnotanotter wrote:
You'd have to look a lot harder for deeper meaning in a Blue October record than Hospice.. Glad you could find it though.

See and this is exactly what I mean. Hospice rolled right over me. It was bland and just lacking emotion to me. Whereas AMiA is an incredibly deep album full of direct emotion, as is Foiled. To me. Its so personal yet all so real.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States
  • Posted: 10/16/2013 00:25
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
Hospice rolled right over me. It was bland and just lacking emotion to me.

Probably the most emotionally powerful album I've ever heard.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 10/22/2013 14:20
  • Post subject:
Can we agree on something for easier communication between those that are interested in the development of the blog?
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 10/22/2013 14:39
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Can we agree on something for easier communication between those that are interested in the development of the blog?

Such as? Confused (I like the idea, but this forum seems pretty accessible to any BEA memeber, plus we have pm's)

And lethal has the idea right. It SHOULD only be new albums. I think in his mind he would like to start early 2014, or late this year. Just review the stuff that comes out.

A 'from the vault' thing would be great of course, but as a side feature. We have SO many members on this site that could contribute some amazing unknown albums from the 70's and 80's occasionally.

And to JMan, there's more that 1,400 albums released in a year. If you include underground releases, mixtapes, bandcamp albums, etc... etc... I'm sure the list would be more that 10,000 a year.
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 10/22/2013 15:43
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Such as? Confused (I like the idea, but this forum seems pretty accessible to any BEA memeber, plus we have pm's)

The forum will be fine for those contributing to the blog, but for those focused on getting the blog up and running, it would be useful to move it away from the forums so we don't plague the forums with talk about funding, coding and design, and so that we have a more direct means of communication between a smaller group of people.

Skype would work fine, but I'd like to hear from more people who are interested in helping create the blog itself.