Builder Elimination #6: Illinois

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: What would you like to see in the next builder elimination?
The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths
33%
 33%  [10]
Rain Dogs - Tom Waits
13%
 13%  [4]
The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips
30%
 30%  [9]
Jamboree - Beat Happening
6%
 6%  [2]
Slanted and Enchanted - Pavement
16%
 16%  [5]
Total Votes : 30

revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 04/09/2015 16:07
  • Post subject:
Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Stepmother! = 6 (-1)
In This Temple as in the Hearts of Man for Whom He Saved the Earth = 1
The Seer's Tower = 3
The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders (Part I: The Great Frontier – Part II: Come to Me Only with Playthings Now) = 7
Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals as I Run = 3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1.The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us!
2. John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
3. Casimir Pulaski Day
4. Come On! Feel the Illinoise! (Part I: The World's Columbian Exposition – Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me in a Dream)
5. They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back from the Dead!! Ahhhh!
6. Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois
7. Chicago
8. Jacksonville
9. The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts

15. Prairie Fire That Wanders About
16. The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience but You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, 'I Have Fought the Big Knives and Will Continue to Fight Them Until They Are Off Our Lands!
17. Let's Hear That String Part Again, Because I Don't Think They Heard It All the Way Out in Bushnell
18. To the Workers of the Rock River Valley Region, I Have an Idea Concerning Your Predicament
19. A Conjunction of Drones Simulating the Way in Which Sufjan Stevens Has an Existential Crisis in the Great Godfrey Maze
20.Riffs and Variations on a Single Note for Jelly Roll, Earl Hines, Louis Armstrong, Baby Dodds, and the King of Swing, to Name a Few
21.A Short Reprise for Mary Todd, Who Went Insane, but for Very Good Reasons
22. One Last 'Whoo-Hoo!' for the Pullman

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
FlorianJones

United States

• Posted: 04/09/2015 16:09
  • Post subject:
WindowAbove wrote:
Chicago only at 7 is not okay

I always wondered why Chicago was the big single from this album, it's one of my least favorites.

Also, has anyone else noticed the similarities between Chicago and The Transfiguration from Seven Swans? If you haven't, listen to the end of The Transfiguration when he sings "Lamb of God, We draw near" repeatedly. I swear the instruments are playing the same notes as "All things go, all things go" in Chicago. And in my opinion, The Transfiguration is the far superior song.
  • Visit poster's website
CubaZed

• Posted: 04/09/2015 17:46
  • Post subject:
TannerVHalv wrote:
Also, has anyone else noticed the similarities between Chicago and The Transfiguration from Seven Swans? If you haven't, listen to the end of The Transfiguration when he sings "Lamb of God, We draw near" repeatedly. I swear the instruments are playing the same notes as "All things go, all things go" in Chicago. And in my opinion, The Transfiguration is the far superior song.

Yeah I agree with you, (And I think Sufjan confirmed that too in an interview?). Still, the second side of Seven Swans has some pretty fantastic stripped down moments, particularly that haunting title track.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 04/09/2015 20:00
  • Post subject:
Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Stepmother! = 6
The Seer's Tower = 3
The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders (Part I: The Great Frontier – Part II: Come to Me Only with Playthings Now) = 8 (+1)
Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals as I Run = 3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2. John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
3. Casimir Pulaski Day
4. Come On! Feel the Illinoise! (Part I: The World's Columbian Exposition – Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me in a Dream)
5. They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back from the Dead!! Ahhhh!
7. Chicago
8. Jacksonville

14. In This Temple as in the Hearts of Man for Whom He Saved the Earth
16. The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience but You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, 'I Have Fought the Big Knives and Will Continue to Fight Them Until They Are Off Our Lands!
17. Let's Hear That String Part Again, Because I Don't Think They Heard It All the Way Out in Bushnell
18. To the Workers of the Rock River Valley Region, I Have an Idea Concerning Your Predicament
19. A Conjunction of Drones Simulating the Way in Which Sufjan Stevens Has an Existential Crisis in the Great Godfrey Maze
20.Riffs and Variations on a Single Note for Jelly Roll, Earl Hines, Louis Armstrong, Baby Dodds, and the King of Swing, to Name a Few
Pseud0Scorpion

• Posted: 04/10/2015 03:35
  • Post subject:
Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Stepmother! = 7 (+1)
The Seer's Tower = 3
The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders (Part I: The Great Frontier – Part II: Come to Me Only with Playthings Now) = 8
Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals as I Run = 2 (-1)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2. John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
3. Casimir Pulaski Day
7. Chicago
8. Jacksonville

HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 04/10/2015 11:42
  • Post subject:
Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Stepmother! = 7
The Seer's Tower = 3
The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders (Part I: The Great Frontier – Part II: Come to Me Only with Playthings Now) = 9 (+1)
Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals as I Run = 1 (-1)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2. John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
3. Casimir Pulaski Day
7. Chicago
8. Jacksonville

zdwyatt

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2015 13:07
  • Post subject:
Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Stepmother! = 8 (+1)
The Seer's Tower = 3
The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders (Part I: The Great Frontier – Part II: Come to Me Only with Playthings Now) = 9

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2. John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
3. Casimir Pulaski Day
7. Chicago
8. Jacksonville

13. Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals as I Run
  • Visit poster's website
goeie-oko

Netherlands

• Posted: 04/10/2015 14:36
  • Post subject:
Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Stepmother! = 9 (+1)
The Seer's Tower = 2 (-1)

The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders (Part I: The Great Frontier – Part II: Come to Me Only with Playthings Now) = 9

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2. John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
3. Casimir Pulaski Day
7. Chicago
8. Jacksonville

13. Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals as I Run
  • Visit poster's website
nachosbob

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2015 15:32
  • Post subject:
The Seer's Tower = 1 (-1)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2. John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
3. Casimir Pulaski Day
7. Chicago
8. Jacksonville
10. Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Stepmother!

22. One Last 'Whoo-Hoo!' for the Pullman[/quote]

Memo to myself:
Do the dumb things I gotta do
Touch the puppet head
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 04/10/2015 15:37
  • Post subject:
2. John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
3. Casimir Pulaski Day
7. Chicago
8. Jacksonville
10. Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Stepmother!
11. The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders (Part I: The Great Frontier – Part II: Come to Me Only with Playthings Now)
12. The Seer's Tower
22. One Last 'Whoo-Hoo!' for the Pullman[/quote][/quote]